Body Armor Warning • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Body Armor Warning
 Post Posted: Wed 22 Jun 2005 19:24 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
This is a follow up to discussion--some time ago--regarding a problem with Zylon-------------------

Bullet-Resistant Vests May Be Unsafe By JOHN FLESHER, Associated Press Writer

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - The nation's largest supplier of bullet-resistant vests to law enforcement agencies is urging its customers to replace vests containing the fiber Zylon, saying they may not be safe.

Second Chance Body Armor said Wednesday it had sent notices to police agencies nationwide. The warning affects about 58,000 Tri-Flex vests and an additional 40,000 Ultima and Ultimax vests with Performance Pacs, the company said in a statement.

New research shows that vests made even partially with Zylon "may fail to perform and result in serious injury or death," it said.

Second Chance, based in Central Lake, Mich., is undergoing reorganization in federal bankruptcy court after being targeted in numerous lawsuits claiming its vests made with Zylon are defective.

The company said it would ask the court to devise a procedure for vest owners to make claims arising from the latest warnings.

"While Second Chance has not received any reports of field failures of the products in question, we felt it was our obligation to report these new research findings immediately," said Matt Davis, the company's vice president of sales and marketing.

"The safety and well-being of all the officers who wear our body armor is of primary importance to Second Chance, and we strongly encourage all officers to replace ballistic vests that contain Zylon as quickly as possible," he said.

-------------------I spotted a really cool vest on an unrelated shopping task, and I was impressed by how pliable and light the really think vest was. The question arises regarding blunt force trauma. Frankly, I'll stick to my old fashion Kevlar Level IIIA that is thick, relatively uncomfortable, and more likely to shield me from blunt force trauma.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2005 00:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

LOL, yes, a lot of people don't realize that it's not just the bullet that causes the damage... you could still wind up with a few cracked ribs or other internal injury from a bullet stopped by the vest.

I still have my old titanium plate that I used to wear in my vest when I was an officer.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 25 Jun 2005 08:02 

Check out this new article about this same issue

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 50325/1006

If you have second chance of this type and have not switched you may want to think about it quickly!

Post subject: vests
 Post Posted: Sat 25 Jun 2005 16:57 
in memoriam

again most vests should be replaced every 5 years as they degrade with use--as i said before i use my old vests as bullet proofing in my vehicles i take the old panels and glue to the rear seat back in the trunk and put panels behind the door trim also sometimes in the front seat back i take off the upolstry and place the panels behind the foam than replace the upolstry

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion