gear question • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: gear question
 Post Posted: Tue 17 May 2005 20:25 

does anybody know a good place to get big size body armor from (like xxxl) in a raid style vest. been looking at differant companys and not have'n much luck. thank guys

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 17 May 2005 21:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
Wayne,
Safety League ,Galls,Quartermaster, there are several companies you can buy a raid vest and put your own plates in it. Some of these companies will custum build to your spec,s but you will be looking a a fair amount of cash to have this done. If you are going to spend the money for a vest buy a good one as your life is and will be at stake.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 17 May 2005 22:23 

David,

I know just trying to get away from my light weight Level IIIA just want one I can wear on high risk cases. or when the need presents its self. I already checked most of the ones you brought up U.S. Armor has the L.A.S.D. Gang Enforcement Team vest would be perfect in black with back and chest patches on it I think. I think one of these body armor companys need to make a Tac-vest with BEA's in mind. But U.S. Armor's is about as close as I could hope for.

Post subject: Body Armor
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 09:14 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Wayne,

Level IIIA is a great way to go.

Level Four tac vests are level four because of the heavy plates inserted over Level IIIA panels in most cases. These plates are often ceramic and are used for some pretty intense stuff to include defeating rifle rounds.

Some plates are rated for mulitple hits while others only one.

You will have a significant trade off in mobility however.

My suggestion is to borrow a rig and then practice a standard search and then a sprint such as in a short foot chase. I lost one guy after a short sprint because I was too heavy with the tac gear.

Another thing to bear in mind that if a situation calls for such equipment then perhaps the commission isn't worth the potential problems that go with needing the equipment in the first place.

I understand that the work can be dangerous and it is better to be ready, but if you think a case calls for rifle protection ceramic plates then a quick 911 call may be the best solution if at all possible.

Stay Safe,

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 09:34 

Rex,

Thanks for the input. working here in Tennessee you get a few country people pick ups and I was just thinking the vest that carried a little gear would come in handy when you have to cut through the woods to sneek up on a suspects location. it happens here. rifle rounds happen but figured a raid type vest would cut back my gear load. not trying to look like a swat team member. in some of theses rural areas i just wear my glock and some cuffs under my ghillie and play the waiting game when the subject thinks its all clear and starts messing around in the yard he gets caught by the bail enforcement bush.

I know its a little unorthadox but heck it works and if you keep the ghillie in a bag with dirt scent it even keeps their dogs from barking when they sent you. a tip for someone elses bag if they care to try. it was big change in tactics going from california citys to tennessee country. makes me wish I'd had this site back when i was first starting. but back on the subject at lest the rifle plates are removable Rex.

Post subject: I Understand
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 09:40 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Wayne,

I wasn't being critical over the use of common sense protection equipment.

If a given piece of equipment is considered to be in the life-safety area, then use it and ignore the people who toss around the "wannabe" tag as they should spend more time being self-reflective over their equipment choices and even their decision to work in this trade.

Incidentally, I loaned my Ghillie suit to a paintballer. Come to think of it, I should call and get it back :wink:

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 09:53 

they work! the first time I had a deputy here ask me why I had a ghillie suit then 45min later I had a guy they couldn't even grab in custody won him over. my basic gear is raid type t-shirt and jeans and a light duty type belt but we all know how some gear can tear-up our car seats while playing the waiting game. So I figured jeans t-shirt avest and a thigh holster would cut back my gear load and keep all the needed gear radio, cuffs and flex cuffs flashlight ect.... handy and not catching every thing by the way i just ordered your book look foward to reading it I figure bail enforcements like every thing else you can learn too much and every body has a tip to make things flow smoother.

Post subject: Gear
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 11:48 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

One day I rode up on a bail skip wearing high-intensity yellow, on my mountain bike (all I had was a street name and had to cruise for a while. It was a beautiful day and I didn't miss the bike workout) and much to his startled surprise, but I didn't know for sure if it was him. Feigning heat exhaustion, he got me some water, made sure I was okay and started talking. Once he identified himself, I borrowed his cordless phone to call in the troops who were kicking it under a shady tree.

The point is that some cases call for ceramic plates while others just a glass of water 8)

Rex

ps: Which book did you order?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 18 May 2005 12:05 

Modern Bounty Hunter-

I saw it on your web site you wrote a fiction one too I saw, it will next I feel and another memeber brought up your desk top bounty hunter softwear. I read both of Bob Burtons books back when they where new and still e-mail back and forth with him he's a good guy. but l like too see other agents putting out new ideas too.

Rex I had a name tag made up one time For the church of jesus christ and latter day saints, to catch a fugitive in California wore a white dress shirt and tie and told him I was there about the book of mormon because my intell told me that was his relegion. when I unzipped my bible bag boy was he suprised, I had hidden my glock and cuffs in side it. he just looked at me and said you got me.

what ever it takes huh?

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion