Dog the Racist • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Dog the Racist
 Post Posted: Wed 31 Oct 2007 18:23 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainm ... imbo/7390/

'Dog' racism on tape, show in limbo

Published: Oct. 31, 2007 at 7:20 PM

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- Production was halted on the U.S. cable show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" after The National Enquirer reported Duane Dog Chapman made racist slurs on tape.

Chapman reportedly has apologized and expressed concern he would be "put in the same category as" shock jock Don Imus, who lost his syndicated radio show after on-air racist remarks.

The Enquirer reported Wednesday it obtained tapes of two telephone conversations in which Chapman, who gained fame on the A&E reality show, unleashes a tirade of racist insults and repeatedly uses the N-word.

A&E issued a statement announcing production on the show has been suspended, TMZ.com reported.

"When the inquiry is concluded we will take appropriate action," the statement said.

The reported racist comments were directed at Monique Shinnery, who is black. She is the girlfriend of Chapman's son, Tucker.

Chapman's pastor, Tim Storey, told TMZ he spoke Wednesday with Chapman and the celebrity cried for 30 minutes, saying: "I'm shocked, I'm wrong I repent. Can you believe, Tim, that I'm going to be put in the same category as Imus."

Storey, who is black, said Chapman is not a racist.

"He's been to black churches with me to help inner-city kids," he said.

© United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be reproduced, redistributed, or manipulated in any form.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 31 Oct 2007 18:37 
in memoriam

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/ind ... topstories

Bounty Hunter N-Bombs Himself into Hiatus

by Natalie Finn

A federal manhunt couldn't do it. Turns out the only thing that could keep Duane Chapman down is the Dog himself.

A&E has suspended production on its hit reality series Dog the Bounty Hunter in light of some—to put it mildly—racially insensitive remarks its star looks to have made during a phone conversation with his son Tucker, a recording of which was duly posted online by The National Enquirer.

"We take this matter very seriously," A&E, which lent its full support to Chapman while kidnapping charges were pending against him in Mexico, said in a statement Wednesday. "Pending an investigation, we have suspended production on the series. When the inquiry is concluded we will take appropriate action."

Here are some snippets from the understandably controversial chat, in which Chapman—a Hawaii-based bail bondsman by trade—discusses the repercussions of using the N-word with his son, whose girlfriend, Monique Shinnery, is black:

"I'm not taking a chance...not because she's black but because we use the word n----- sometimes here. I'm not going to take any chance ever in life of losing everything I've worked for 30 years because some drunken n----- heard us say n----- and turned us into the Enquirer magazine…I'm not taking that chance at all never in life. Never…"

Etc.

The expletive and slur-laced conversation has already provoked outrage from civil rights activists, including the Congress for Racial Equality Chairman Roy Innis, who told the Enquirer that Chapman "should not have a show."

"He needs to answer for his behavior," Innis said. "When someone gets the opportunity to use the airwaves, he becomes a role model, whether he likes it or not. Dog Chapman should not be in that position, posing as a good guy."

Chapman's reality series, in which he and sons Leland and Duane Lee, as well as his wife Beth and unrelated pal Tim Chapman go after on-the-run criminals, is A&E's top-rated series. Dog the Bounty Hunter premiered in 2004, buoyed largely in part by the footage Chapman's team shot while hunting convicted rapist Andrew Luster down in Mexico.

They caught up with Luster in June 2003, after which the felon was sentenced to more than 100 years in jail, but Chapman was later charged with deprivation of liberty in Guadalajara.

All of the charges were dismissed in July after a Mexican court determined that the case's statute of limitations had expired. However, U.S. authorities left a $300,000 bond in effect, with a federal prosecutor asking for more time to evaluate the case.

Copyright 2007 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved.

Walsenburg, CO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 31 Oct 2007 18:59 
in memoriam

Amazing that he is a convicted felon, has broken numerous laws in the U.S., notwithstanding the ones he broke in Mexico, is a bail jumper out of Mexico, has multiple lawsuits filed against him for other civil violations, but until he was accused of racism, America loved him. It only shows how show biz works. Commit any crime and you are still a hero. Call someone a racial name and you are scum.

Usually when someone asks me if I'm like Dog I respond with "No, I'm not a criminal, I do things right." Now I can say, "No, I'm not a racist." Is there a chance that we can finally get this show off the air, showing our profession is such a bad way? I hope so!!!

Walsenburg, CO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 31 Oct 2007 20:42 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
No....the show will not go away..or rather Chapman and crew wont go away.

They may cancel this series, have public apologies, etc...Have a "cool down" period.

But I envision a number of possibilities:

1) Chapman himself will be removed from the series, and they will create a spin off just featuring his sons;

2) They (A&E) will wait til next year and run a different variation.

3) His series will be sold into syndication

4) Chapman will "retire" for a season or 2 while his family continues, and then "come out of retirement" in a year or so.

Don Imus is even back on the air....

1 last thought...he (Chapman) just gained enormous popularity with those remarks. Remember his main audience is white trailer trash...which also happens to be extremely racist.

Anyway, that's my 2cents worth.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 01 Nov 2007 19:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Believe it or not, he actually has (maybe had) a large black audience also. Many of our bail clients come and talk about how they watch the show. (makes me gag after they leave the office to have to talk about him)

I am more ticked off that the news media keep calling him a bondsman. Not to put down any other bail recovery people but, as a bail agent, I am tired of being associated with him.

Just as I am sure most if not all of you are tired of being asscoaited with him also!

Hey, lets all take up a collection and send him off to find Osama Bin Laden. If he fiinds him he can have his show back. If not, oh well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 01 Nov 2007 22:01 
in memoriam

lol Tony...I think sending him a 1 way non-refundable ticket to Iraq would be better than sending him money...lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 02 Nov 2007 10:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Tony,
You were in the TV industry, could they just be capitalizing on his ignorance to opt out of a balloon payment or other such contract by invoking a "Morals" clause? This may open up syndication sales that he is not paid on, I don't presume to know the industry, but interested in your thoughts.

Now for some introspection. We all believe that racism is ignorance. That racism by definition crosses all barriers of color, creed, etc. I have always believed in making something good happen out of something bad.
Therefore, let us all use this as a lesson for the next time we tell, or allow to be told, an off color joke. If you would not say it in front of the people the joke is intended to malign, don't repeat it.

I have known, as has each of us, people that were offended by the actions of members of another race. That race could be our own or another. We have all heard hatred spewwed like the venom that it is from both friend and foe.

Equally as despicable as his rantings are the reaction of the "Activists" that want nothing more than to capitalize on this opportunity. These same people presume to speak for all people of their race and they don't. They will however remain in the spotlight promoting their own version of hate brokering that for some reason unknown to me is acceptable.

Lastly, could any of us, regardless of color, pass the test of having a private phone conversation aired publicly? In all honesty, I myself have said and done things that I would regret, to my own kids as well as others. I don't believe that any of the reporters or activists, that fein such disgust, could pass the same standards. The issue is that we have selective enforcement and acceptability of moral standards. Words that invoke hate or hostility should not be repeated by anyone.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 02 Nov 2007 19:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Scott,

If there is enough pressure put on the sponsors of the show, like GM that provides them with the vehicles, and they start to pull out, A&E will cancel the show. The advertisers underwrite the production cost of the show and provides the profits for it. If A&E can't sell ad time during the show they will drop him quick.

They also don't want to be associated with anything remotely considered racist towards any one group for fear of the "racism" profiters Jackson, Sharpton and all the rest for fear that they call for a boycott or a cash payoff.

So, in my opinion, if this goes on for another couple of days and another bigger story doesn't come along, he's done. There are so many escape clauses in these contracts, mainly on the network side that they can cancel him and not have to pay another dime.

Primarily if target audience expectations or revenues goals are not met, they cancel the show.

As far as the media and defenders of equality, remember Jackson was called on the Hymie Town slur when he was running for president. he got a pass and didn;t have to apologize much at all.

Thats becuase there is a double standard. If you are of the majority group, any name calling is racist or sexist. So you can't do it.

If you're a minority, since you have no "power" then it's ok.

That how they play the game today.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 02 Nov 2007 21:34 
in memoriam

Well it appears, at least for now, that he is officially off the air. I saw it on the tvguide channel where they played a statement allegedly made by Mr. Chapman.

They also said that A&E had officially pulled the plug on his show. Question is, for how long ? I don't believe for a minute that we have seen the last of this crew.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 04 Nov 2007 09:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Tony,
Thanks for your considered response, and that is why I love you so much.

I truly long for the day when all hate related speech is deemed unacceptable by all people, period.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage