This One Slipped By • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: This One Slipped By
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Jul 2007 18:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Mark Sayre, Investigative Reporter
I-Team: Bounty Hunters Burst Into Local Day Care

July 19, 2007 06:18 PM PDT

Over the past several months the Eyewitness News I-Team has been bringing you stories about the local bounty hunter industry. Under Nevada law, bounty hunters have a wide latitude to burst into private property while doing their jobs.

The first stories on bounty hunters involved incidents of them bursting into private homes. But then Eyewitness News received a call that had to be checked out to be believed.

A team of bounty hunters burst into to a local day care center full of dozens of children in order to gather personal information about one child's mother. That mother was not even there at the time. And it was all caught on a dramatic 911 tape exchange between the center's director and Metro Police.

At the Heartworks Family Center, games, painting and reading are some of the main activities for the kids. The staff keeps a close eye on their charges. But they never imagined they would have to protect the kids from bounty hunters.

"A man came in the door, and he didn't say who he was. He didn't say hello, he didn't say anything. He had a huge badge; he threw it in my face, and he said 'I'm here and I want to see your files and I want to see your kids. And then he said 'bounty hunter,' " said Theresa Sabatino, director of the Heartworks Center.

Sabatino was at the front counter when three bounty hunters burst in on Nov. 7, 2005, at about 1 p.m. "So I just said 'you're not getting near our children, you are not getting near our files.' And he said I am going to arrest you -- do you get who I am? I said 'I don't care who you are. You know, I really don't care who you are,' " she said.

"He took out a Nevada Revised Statute that he had written on a card, and he threw it at me. And then said 'I am going to take you down, I have had it. I am going to take you down.' And he patted holster, and he had a gun," Sabatino explained.

Sabatino then called 911, explaining a bounty hunter was inside the front office as more than 60 children were on site being cared for that day.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: And he is looking through my paperwork that is confidential. He said his going to arrest us.

Metro 911: He says he is a bail bondsman?

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: Yes.

As officers were on the way, you can hear on the 911 tape Sabatino comforting her co-workers.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: Come on, honey. I know, it's OK.

Unknown Voice: It's confidential paperwork!

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: I know that, and my father will deal with this later, OK?

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: Hello, are you there?

Metro 911: Hang on a second.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: It's escalating.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: Stop, stop, stop, stop!

Metro 911: Is he armed, ma'am?

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: I'm sorry.

Metro 911: Is he armed?

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: I believe so. He is a bounty hunter, he's got three of them here and there's one in the front of my building. They are after one of the women here who is a parent. Okay, I am sorry, but he is violent.

Under Nevada law bounty hunters are legally able to make forced entry into private property to arrest fugitives.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: I can't have this here. This is a child care center for God's sake. They have her contact numbers; they need to do this elsewhere. He is threatening to arrest all of us now.

Sabatino then breaks down and begins to cry on the 911 tape.

Theresa Sabatino/911 Call: I'm sorry it is just that I have 60 children here that I am responsible for and a staff of seven and the man is standing there telling us -- he's refusing to leave my building and he says he is going to put my child care director's hands behind her back and arrest her.

Sabatino wrote to state and local lawmakers about this incident and received no reply.

The state law on bounty hunters was last updated in 1999. The power allowing bounty hunters to enter private property was left untouched. But Sabatino continues to wonder how is this allowed?

"This is wild, wild, wild, west and I think -- I hope we have come far enough now that people have to be held accountable for what they do and what they did that day was unconscionable. It really was, it was horrible," Sabatino said.

The bounty hunter involved in this incident is Christopher Ball from Silver State Recovery in Henderson. Ball does have a state-issued bail agent license. The I-Team spoke to Ball several times on the phone over two weeks, and he initially agreed to do an interview about this case. But then he stopped taking the I-Team's calls and did not return two follow-up messages.

Metro Police were sent to the Heartworks Family Center but, in the end, there was nothing they could do because officers on the scene determined no laws had been broken.

In order to get a license, bail enforcement agents -- or bounty hunters -- in Nevada need two weeks of training both in the classroom and in the field. They also must pass a written exam. But industry veterans admit that training does not weed out all of the bad operators nor prevent otherwise good agents from making bad decisions.

Email your comments to Investigative Reporter Mark Sayre.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Jul 2007 18:48 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
This is gettin rediculous with these people. Laws need to be amended to weed out the morons of the buisness. They act like they couldnt setup survilience outside this place and wait it out or some other means of a non-violent approach especially when children are involved. Thats all i gotta say.

Rick

Former Military Honorable / Medical (Retired for Life)
U.S. Army / Fort Knox / 1-81 Armor / 19-D Cavalry Armored Reconnaissance Scout

Former Firefighter (New Jersey)
Former Bounty Hunter (New Jersey)
Georgia State Certified Peace Officer #O210022
Certification #PBCO20130210022
Former Georgia State Dept of Corrections - Bootcamp Officer
Former Georgia County Sheriffs Office

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Jul 2007 19:47 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Unbelievable. I started listing the things they did wrong, but was rambling I'm so angry. I consider LE just as liable for allowing this crap to continue. I cannot believe that what they did was legal in ANY state.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Jul 2007 21:28 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Tony,

Are they investigating this or are they just gonna let it fly with no charges?

Former Military Honorable / Medical (Retired for Life)
U.S. Army / Fort Knox / 1-81 Armor / 19-D Cavalry Armored Reconnaissance Scout

Former Firefighter (New Jersey)
Former Bounty Hunter (New Jersey)
Georgia State Certified Peace Officer #O210022
Certification #PBCO20130210022
Former Georgia State Dept of Corrections - Bootcamp Officer
Former Georgia County Sheriffs Office

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Jul 2007 23:00 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Nevada has some of the toughest requirements for fugitive recovery. And this stuff still goes on. Sure makes you wonder....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 31 Jul 2007 11:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
My guess is that since the local television station in Vegas is doing an on going investigation on "bounty hunters," there will be some political fall out over the issue.

At some point a law maker will want to add restrictions to what a recover agent can or can't do, when and where they can do it. I dont think they will go for an out right ban.

Whenever the media latches onto a issue, they don't usually let go until they get someone to "do" something about it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Aug 2007 18:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
The state law on bounty hunters was last updated in 1999. The power allowing bounty hunters to enter private property was left untouched. But Sabatino continues to wonder how is this allowed?

"This is wild, wild, wild, west and I think -- I hope we have come far enough now that people have to be held accountable for what they do and what they did that day was unconscionable. It really was, it was horrible," Sabatino said.
taken from posted article by "weasel"

a little common sense goes a long way.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage