Have you fired your gun? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Have you fired your gun?
 Post Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2006 12:27 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

If you own a gun, and carry it with you on the job, have you had the need to fire it?

I currently do not carry, but am considering it. Originally I made up my mind to not carry, but most of the BEAs I've been working with tell me I should.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2006 12:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Always carry one, rarley have to draw it (always ready too), never been fired on the job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2006 14:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Always carry, never fired on the job.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2006 16:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
You can ask Ruffin about this one. Here in Alabama, if you can throw a rock, you can get a CCW. But most people here have grown up around guns.

Anniston, AL

Post subject: guns
 Post Posted: Tue 25 Jul 2006 18:42 
in memoriam

In bea work only pulled a gun once(an old lady in vermont came at my team with a 12 guage double barrel shotgun)

In my former life as a cop I took the lives of 6 people all in gunfights-all close range and all self defense I will never stop seeing the faces of these people and will never stop remembering the trigger pull--an old and dear friend of mine has 13 kills in the nypd and is called the last american gunfighter--the only thing i say i am going home today and will deal the crap later but i am going home today

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2006 09:38 
in memoriam

Colorado only requires a handgun safety class to get a CCW. You don't even have to fire your weapon. I didn't believe this until I confronted our Sheriff about it and he confirmed. He said that he expects that to change in the next few years, but in the meantime, it's a scary and dangerous thing that a person who has never fired a gun can be carrying concealed.

I took a tactical defense class for mine. It was 4 hours classroom and 4 hours on the range. It was worth every minute, even though I caught a terrible cold from the snow :( .

Walsenburg, CO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2006 15:10 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Love you too Jay...lol

Since my esteemed colleague has embarassed me by bringing me into this, here goes:

Dec 17th 2005, Huntsville, Al.

Myself and 1 other BEA were contracted to apprehend a pre-surrender. The co-signer wanted off of the bond. We arrived at the defeendant's house and were greeted by the co-signer outside, pre-arranged via cell phones.

We got the outlay of the place and worked out our strategy. My partner went to cover the back, and I went in through the front. My subject was standing there. 5' 100 lb female. Nothing to her, right ?.... WRONG !

I used my usual, low key, soft spoken approach, took my cuffs out as I'm speaking to her and at the same time taking hold of one of her wrists to snap a cuff on. Well that started it.

Now, I'm 6' tall weigh around 260 lbs, fairly thick n stout in both arms and stature. This female and I went round and round through out the house, tearing it up beyond all belief. This lasted for app 15 - 20 minutes, and I was not able to ever get her under my complete physical control. My partner came in and began assisting me in trying to cuff her. I finally decided to use my pepper spray on her, and right at the moment of spraying she flicked my wrist and I shot my partner with a full dose right in the mouth...!

So now we are both blinded, she is on the floor, and she sees my back up revolver and got it away from me in my incapacitated state. My partner retreated to a safe position as did I, but I also drew my primary weapon, a .40 cal glock moddel 22.

Now the def is aiming my ruger 357 mag at me, and I am aiming my 40 cala t her..a true Mexican stand off. We just kind of stared at one another for a millisecond, she tells me she isn't going to jail, and for whatever reason she fled.

So we called the cops, they recovered my weapon from the street, took all of the required reports, and eventually caught her 3 days later...it took 3 Huntsville Police Officers to bring her in.

Everyone has asked me, including the police officers why I didn't shoot her.....over a thousand dollar misdemeanor bond ? I don't know. Something in me said "dont kill her"...Divine Providence ?..who knows.

Hind sight is always 20/20. I made several mistakes that night and I have learned many lessons from that night. I just Praise God that no one was seriously hurt that night.

Everyone survived, the def was arrested and charged, and the industry wasn't hurt.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2006 15:26 
in memoriam

:lol: OMG, Ruffin. I bet if it had been a guy, you would have taken him down a lot harder and a lot faster. You apparently did the right thing not shooting her, though it had to be tough. One of those snap decisions that could have gone either way.

Walsenburg, CO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 26 Jul 2006 15:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It's a good example of how we give women chances that we don't give men. On an EP forum I belong to it the topic of women antagonist/opponents was brought up and how it was easier for women to get closer to the principal than it was for a male antagonist. In addition the fact that we as males tend to go easier on them.

I recall a situation when I was on the force where we went to a domestic disturbance call. When we got there we discovered it was the female who was the antagonist... she was pretty open about the fact that she kicked table into her husband and struck him. She was pretty arrogant and told us we couldn't arrest her.

Well when we told her she was under arrest she ran up the stairs and tried to hide in a bedroom. I was right on her heels with the shift sgt. behind me.

She was swinging and cussing and when I told the sgt. I was going to pepper spray her, he told me NO. In the end it took four officers to drag her down the stairs and one of the officers got kicked in his privates.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion