First year licensee • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: First year licensee
 Post Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 07:46 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Here in NC you have to work under another company for at least one year before you can bail bond for yourself. Was curious of what the fair going rate is for the bondaman/supervisor split is of the premium?

Post subject: Re: First year licensee
 Post Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 15:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
There are a lot of variables that go into answering that question. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have concerning this business after you have taken the time to introduce yourself and add a signature line. I'm not trying to badger you concerning this, but rest assured you won't get much information here without telling us something about yourself. I can go online and find the basics about you but more is needed.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to be helpful, without some information about yourself you won't get information about this industry.

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 18:29 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
And WTF is up with the word "work" being a link where a "single mother makes $77/hr on the internet". WTF does that have to do with bail or bail recovery???? Take the sales pitch elsewhere.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 19:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Huh?..............

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 07:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
My appolgies on the introduction. My name us Mark Forrest and I started bail bonding a few months ago here in NC. (as for the word "work" being a link I have no idea wtf you are talking about), I used wtf because you did.

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 11:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Mark,

First, the WTF thing didn't come from me, I have no idea what that's about. As far as you question goes, the answer is mostly dependent on what your responsibilities are. As a first year agent you are required to have a supervising agent for one year, not company but an agent who has been in this business for at least 2 years. I have seen some predators that pay damn near nothing because they know a new Bondsman needs them and can't work without a supervising agent. Stay Away From These People!! I can't answer your question definitively because of the many variable in this situation but I'll give you a few examples.

If your supervising agent has offered you a deal that you write bonds but have no liability on anything you write you can expect to be paid 30 percent of the premium. Advice, I wouldn't take that deal, you need to be held accountable knowing that you are liable and will work harder to evaluate your defendant which will cause you to be more carefull in who you post bond for and it will also give you the incintive to write good bonds. remember, you won't need a supervising agent for more than a year and then hopefully you can start your own business. By being liable from the get go, you will have developed the skills and habits needed to write good bonds. You'll still have skips but not as many as you would if you wrote anything that called your office.

You may get offered a deal that pays you 40 percent of the premium but also holds you liable for 40 percent of the bond you posted.

I have known a few that have a 50 50 deal with no liability but those are very rare. Also a 50 50 deal where you get 50 percent of the premium and are liable for 50 percent of the bond posted.

There are others but these are the most common. If you are making less than 25 percent of the premium with no liability on the bonds you post, you are getting screwed hard!!

The most common deal in NC is 30 percent of the premium with no liability on bonds you post. My advice would be to take a deal that holds you liable for the percentage you're paid. At first this sounds a little strange, why have any liability unless you have to? The answer is simple, if you know you are liable it will make you a better bondsman. You will dot your I's and cross your T's and by the time the year is up you will hpoefully have developed some skills that will make you profitable once you are on your own. I've noted the insurance company you are appointed by. Make every effort to get to know the executives and when it's time to start with no supervising agent, you will have made some really good contacts with the insurance company and hopefully you guys can have a good working relationship for many years. Lastly, I noticed you've been appointed since June of this year which means you probably already have a deal with a supervising agent. Maybe you aren't happy with what you're making but realize you really aren't going to make a hell of a lot during your supervisory period. That's just the way it goes. Good luck and try to concentrate more on learning your first year than how much you are making.

Take care!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 11:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Mark,

I forgot to put this remark in the other post. I hope you take this in the spirit in which it's meant, if you don't, that's on you!

I asked you to introduce yourself and you made a very lame attempt to do that. It's important in life not just this business to make a good first impression...you failed miserably. I hope you will pay close attention to detail, you could have looked at others introductions to get an idea what an introduction should look like, you obxiously didn't. I hope you will take the time to produce an apprpriate introduction. If you're going to take shortcuts here then you probably take shortcuts in other area's including posting bail, then you will be asking about the recovery side of this business. I don't mean to be too harsh but even if you get pissed concerning this post but you give it some thought, that is good with me!!

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 12:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Here is some quick advice for newbies in general:

Take a look at some of the sig lines that are on the guys answering you for an idea on how and what to put in it plus go to the "introduction" area and read a bit.... all we are looking for is "who you are, what you are seeking, what your current credentials, if any, you may have... where you wish to go with this.. and a little history"

When I started in this business... I was on a full liability contract... 50/50 and 10% of my 50 went into a buff account... so I was netting 40% with full liability... of course the agent that sponsored me was on the hook too so I guess if you get technical... it was a 50/50 liability contract.

I will only say that I have a direct contract with the insurance co now... no middle man as such and will only say that my contract is above the 90% range... and I still put 10% of that into a buff... but I am a Surety bondsman.... property bondsmen of course get !00%...

Be aware that your buff account is your money.... some agencies will make it extremely difficult for you to get money from you Buff.... usually only after you quite and exonerate all bonds.... I had to almost take several agencies to court to get my money when I changed ships a few years ago.... and that can be a real pain.... my current company will actually allow me to take money periodically out.... for good reasons... (like putting it somewhere that gets better than the usual bank rates... which frankly suck!!?)... as long as my liability is fairly low and of course... my reputation is pretty good... I have not had but one forfeiture in 13 years.... and I paid that out of my pocket so the surety is pretty well covered, they trust me and I trust them... that is worth far more than a better contract.

I have turned down higher contracts... several times in fact.... there is much more to this business than the percentage you work for.........................

Contract rates are all over the page.... you have to look past the percentage.... I would rather work for less of a contract if I have confidence and trust the surety... there are many "less than honorable" people in this business and I have been in touch with a number of them over the years.... pick your connections wisely.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 16:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Mark,

I hope I didn't confuse you. After your first year you can get a deal through a GA and start making a decent living. I work straight thru the Insurance Companies, but first had to go through my first year supervision, then through a GA, now i work directly through the Insurance company. Make friends with the Insurance people, everybody there, then you won't have to go thru a GA. So long as you keep your forfeitures down and apprehend those that FTA you should have no problems. You too can get a deal where you get 97 percent plus of the premium. A word of caution, always pay your own forfeitures, if you cost your insurance company a dollar you will soon see there aren't many friends in this business.

My first post was addressing your first year, only!

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sun 26 Aug 2012 18:54 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Apparently an apology is in order. I thought the OP was making a sales pitch because the word "work", in his post, was a link to what looked like and internet scam. Now somebody has done this to the word "recovery" in MY post so I don't know what it is about but...if the OP didn't do that themselves, or intentionally, I apologize.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion