Do I need a Taser? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Do I need a Taser?
 Post Posted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 00:33 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
eliterecovery wrote:
I am looking to purchase equipment to start my FRA business but was wondering if I really need a taser? Right now I have 2 pairs of handcuffs, a gun, double magazines a flashlight and concealable level IIIA body armor, anything else I need?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Mace, ASP, and cuffs has worked for me. Maglite also if working at night, if I have a maglite with, I usually leave the asp in the trunk.

I don't carry a gun because on recovery cases because of liability. (You will find that some insurance companies prefer that their contractors not carry firearms.) My carry piece is a 9mm S&W Sigma, with which I am very proficient, but entering private property without permission carrying a firearm, can lead to a cluster of problems.

Haven't carried a taser yet, because... I don't have one yet.
BUT just the sight of the taser can cause a defendant to become completely compliant. Not every time, but a lot of the time.
I do have a stun gun, but that is more of a tool to use when trying to gain compliance from a defendant while in the process of placing the restraints on them.

Personally, I like OC/CS units, and I like them a lot. You will find yourself in more situations that warrant the use of mace, than situations that warrant the use of a firearm. Doesn't hurt to have a decon kit if you're carrying OC.

Post Posted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 00:35 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

And different situations often require different tools.

Post Posted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 05:43 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I know that Alabama allows us consumers to carry Tasers (and their facsimilies) with out any restrictions (Alabama State Statute 13A-1-2 "DANGEROUS INSTRUMENT OR WEAPON". Unless, of course, some untrained, unlicensed "cowboy" behaves inappropriately and ruins it for the rest of us ... personally speaking, I would carry a Taser if I could afford one ... thanks for this opportunity to speak out y'all.

824 Glen Addie Avenue
Anniston, AL 36202
(256) 235-BOND

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."
- Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 08:06 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Short answer, probably not... but how much "STUFF" do we all have that we really don't need..... !!!!!!!!!!!!

My house, my garage, my gun case, my car, my pickup truck... all are filled with stuff that I probably and realistically ......... DO NOT NEED..............

.... here's a little quote.......... "there is a wide separation and a major difference between what you need and what you want"

I discovered early on in life.... I would tell my parents at an early age.... "Momma.... I "need" that... ".... as opposed to... "Momma... I "want" that..." It worked for a while, then she got wise..... 8) :mrgreen:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion