Have any questions about firearms/ knives / tools? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Have any questions about firearms/ knives / tools?
 Post Posted: Sat 12 May 2012 18:37 

Well then post them here, I am very knowledgeable and would be glad to help. I knew here to the forum and would hope to stay a while, I am not claiming to be an expert to any extent but lets say while kids were playing video games I was studying about guns and probably had a knife in the other hand. Hope i can help some people out, all others feel free to put in your input !

Post subject: Re: Have any questions about firearms/ knives / tools?
 Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 07:58 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Sorry guys, this is just too easy, can't resist..... :twisted:

NO CHEATING ! NO GOOGLING OR OTHER SIMILAR SEARCHES !

1) What are the main differences between standard ball ammunition vs. jhp ammo ?

2) For BEA duty purposes, what is the legal difference between brandishing a firearm vs. entering a dwelling with a gun already in your hand ?

3) What is the best duty weapon for BEA work ?

4) For BEA duty, legally speaking, should shotguns/assault rifles be part of your fire team's arsenal ?

5) For BEA duty, what is the best shotgun ?

6) " ......" what is the best shotgun ammo ?

7) "...." since you are carrying instruments of death:
a) what formal training have you had ?
b) how often do you practice ?
c) is it necessary to maintain your own firearms training record ?

8 Depending on the make and caliber of your duty weapon, along with your choice of ammo, do you know its velocity ? fps ?

9) Is all over-the-counter ammo, excluding military/leo specialty ammo, legal in all 50 states ?

10) Are hi-cap mags legal in all 50 states ?

11) Say you have a skip in Alaska, Say you decide to fly to Wa. then drive to Ak. can you legally transport your firearms in your vehicle with you ?

12) What are the basic, primary differences between the "ak 47" type rifles vs the M-16/AR-15 type ?

13) What does "AK" stand for ?

14) What does "47" refer to ?

15) What is the original history behind today's modern M-4 5.56 rifle ?

16) What company held the original patent on the M-16 ? (Hint: It wasn't Colt)

17) Prior to Vietnam, most U.S. military calibers were in the .30 caliber range... ,308, 30-06, .30, etc. What was the logic/reasoning behind the decision to deviate from proven calibers and switch to a brand new, unproven .223 round ?

18) What does "hang fire" or "misfire" refer to ?

19) What does "cookoff" mean ?

20) What is the proper procedure for dealing with #18 ?

Please, no help from the peanut gallery :lol: Also, I am by no means an expert. What little I do know pales by comparison to most of you other weapons enthusiast.

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 08:33 

SpanielPI wrote:
Sorry guys, this is just too easy, can't resist..... :twisted:

NO CHEATING ! NO GOOGLING OR OTHER SIMILAR SEARCHES !

1) What are the main differences between standard ball ammunition vs. jhp ammo ?

2) For BEA duty purposes, what is the legal difference between brandishing a firearm vs. entering a dwelling with a gun already in your hand ?

4) For BEA duty, legally speaking, should shotguns/assault rifles be part of your fire team's arsenal ?

8 Depending on the make and caliber of your duty weapon, along with your choice of ammo, do you know its velocity ? fps ?

9) Is all over-the-counter ammo, excluding military/leo specialty ammo, legal in all 50 states ?

11) Say you have a skip in Alaska, Say you decide to fly to Wa. then drive to Ak. can you legally transport your firearms in your vehicle with you ?

12) What are the basic, primary differences between the "ak 47" type rifles vs the M-16/AR-15 type ?

17) Prior to Vietnam, most U.S. military calibers were in the .30 caliber range... ,308, 30-06, .30, etc. What was the logic/reasoning behind the decision to deviate from proven calibers and switch to a brand new, unproven .223 round ?

Please, no help from the peanut gallery :lol: Also, I am by no means an expert. What little I do know pales by comparison to most of you other weapons enthusiast.

1) Standard ball is used mainly for target shooting, Military uses it because of penetration power. JHP Are for self defense with the direct intent to destroy soft targets making the largest wound cavity.

2) Brandishing Is running around basically with intent to threaten and scare someone

3) Every situation is different, there's no set in stone answer for that. I'd personally use a high powered hand gun such as a 10mm

4) They should definitely be in the arsenal but that's not to say should be used all the time.

5) I'd go with a standard mossberg 500 or remington 870, you cant beat the classics.. Also the mossberg 930 is a quite reliable semi automatic.

6) Winchester PDX-1 for self defense IMO

7) I am 18 I do not carry.

8) Feet per second, the speed that the bullet is traveling.

9) For the most part, hollowpoints are restricted in some areas.

10) No

11) I'd call state to verify. Like i said im not an expert just offering some knowledge on the weapons themself.

12) The ak47 shoot a .30 caliber round 7.62x39 a very user friendly weapon, can be understood by almost anyone, can be learned to stripped cleaned and taken down in a few days The M4/AR shoots a high powered 22 caliber round 5.56x45 It is a much more complicated rifle, needs to be babied more IMO.

13) AUTOMAT KALASHNIKOV

14) The year it was produced.

15) In short, the nam boys needed a new gun.

16) I think springfeild had something to do with it, dont quote me.

17) I believe they were looking for a lighter round that you could carry more of. the .30 was proven to be a little over kill in some situations so they saught the .223

18) Trigger clicks but no bang.

19) In grenade terms, pull the pin and leave the spoon for a few seconds for less chance of it being thrown back, firearm terms, to load a round into the chamber

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 08:35 

Didnt see 20, Tap rack bang.

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 09:14 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Are you kidding.......... hot dog.......... I cannot wait.............

you knew I was gonna jump on this........... well, let me give you a different spin on these difficult questions..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A: ball ammo has is what you use during a basketball game.
A: JHP stands for "jump high people"... which also relates to basketball games.

A: the level of fear you experience and whether or not you have on a large pair of male depends

A: one that will shoot when you pull the trigger... and weighs less than 20 lbs.

A: Sure, the more the merrier...

A: again.... one that shoots when you pull the trigger and holds at least 20 rounds...

A: the kind that will come out the end of the barrel.... quickly...

A: 40 years of redneck training which includes beer drinking and being able to hit a road sign at 100 yards while hanging out the drivers window of a muddy pickup truck... at 75 mph.... at 2am...

A: every time I can find a road sign that is not close to my house trailer

A: no, because if you do.... LE will be able to track you

A: damn fast, hopefully... quicker than the person you shoot at can run....

A: makes no difference.... use it anyway.... if your gonna have to pull the trigger you don't want to have to think about the type of ammo that is in the weapon....

A: sure, the more the merrier...

A: sure, wrap it up in a towel and put it in your carry on.... TSA will advise you what to do next.... make sure you have at least 50 rounds of ammo along with it and make sure it is loaded and cocked....

A: you have to speak Russian, Chinese to own an AK47...

A:... "Alfred Kolinsky"... my second grade 'shop teacher'...

A: how many times you have to remove the magazine before you can get it to fire.

A: I will not answer this one... you do the research....

A: seriously.... started with an "A"

A: short answer.... cost

A: What happens about 2 seconds before you sht in your pants.

A: What takes place in Dundas Virginia when "Sheep Stew" is being prepared.

A: drop you pants, clean yourself up, hide behind something really tough... like a very thick brick wall.... reload your weapon ... get in your car and go home.... you lost.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 09:20 

speezack wrote:
Are you kidding.......... hot dog.......... I cannot wait.............

you knew I was gonna jump on this........... well, let me give you a different spin on these difficult questions..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A: ball ammo has is what you use during a basketball game.
A: JHP stands for "jump high people"... which also relates to basketball games.

A: the level of fear you experience and whether or not you have on a large pair of male depends

A: one that will shoot when you pull the trigger... and weighs less than 20 lbs.

A: Sure, the more the merrier...

A: again.... one that shoots when you pull the trigger and holds at least 20 rounds...

A: the kind that will come out the end of the barrel.... quickly...

A: 40 years of redneck training which includes beer drinking and being able to hit a road sign at 100 yards while hanging out the drivers window of a muddy pickup truck... at 75 mph.... at 2am...

A: every time I can find a road sign that is not close to my house trailer

A: no, because if you do.... LE will be able to track you

A: damn fast, hopefully... quicker than the person you shoot at can run....

A: makes no difference.... use it anyway.... if your gonna have to pull the trigger you don't want to have to think about the type of ammo that is in the weapon....

A: sure, the more the merrier...

A: sure, wrap it up in a towel and put it in your carry on.... TSA will advise you what to do next.... make sure you have at least 50 rounds of ammo along with it and make sure it is loaded and cocked....

A: you have to speak Russian, Chinese to own an AK47...

A:... "Alfred Kolinsky"... my second grade 'shop teacher'...

A: how many times you have to remove the magazine before you can get it to fire.

A: I will not answer this one... you do the research....

A: seriously.... started with an "A"

A: short answer.... cost

A: What happens about 2 seconds before you sht in your pants.

A: What takes place in Dundas Virginia when "Sheep Stew" is being prepared.

A: drop you pants, clean yourself up, hide behind something really tough... like a very thick brick wall.... reload your weapon ... get in your car and go home.... you lost.

Normally how I would answer, Just wanted to prove myself to the house expert we have here :) :lol:

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 09:34 
in memoriam

ain't lernin' fun? :oops:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 09:38 

love me some edumacation'

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 10:03 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
1 and 2 I can accept.

3) This is a matter of personal choice. The most routine answer to this question is this " Whatever works for you ". Now, why in the world would you carry a hi-powered weapon in such a densely populated area ? Obviously you are only thinking in terms of threat neutralization. However you have failed to factor in "shoot throughs". Say you fire your hi-powered weapon and it passes through 3 apartment walls and kills an innocent 3rd party ?

For legally defensible positions, you should follow the use of force doctrines/policies that your local police follow.

4) Very rarely do several of us, if ever, carry a shotgun. I have never carried an assault rifle on a BEA case.

5) If you choose to carry a shotgun, it should be a pump, so you have the option of using less than lethal munitions. Now, Taser and Mossberg have teamed up and now sell a taser only shotgun. It fires a 12ga. taser slug.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/pro ... asers-x12/

6) Should be ltl rounds....bean bags, slugs, etc.

7-10 we'll skip.

11) Transporting firearms through Canada is tricky business. I found this answer on a different forum:

Quote:
1. DO NOT bother with trying to present to the US/Canadian border with a handgun. Simply find an FFL from your present location, and have the handguns shipped to a receiving FFL here in the state. There are many FFL’s in almost every community/village that are capable and willing of handling this for you, (at very reasonable expense).

(With many FFL’s, receiving multiple handguns, they will only charge you for one transaction and not each one as a seperate charge..check with your particular FFL)

2. You WILL have to complete the BATFE paperwork to retreive your handguns, including the tele-check process. Just expect this...it’s the law whether we agree with it or not.

3. Long guns: Shotguns, rifles, blackpowder, etc., These can be transported with you AS LONG AS YOU PROPERLY PRESENT the Canadian decleration firearms form already completed upon arrival at the border. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH TO HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION COMPLETE BEFORE ARRIVING AT THW BORDER! Contact the RCMP Firearms Registration Dept to obtain the proper customs forms.

( Be prepared in advance to know that your long-gun MUST have a barrel over 18.5’’ long measured from tip of barrel to receiver. Should you own anything shorter than this that you legally obtained here in the US, ship it also as with the handguns. DO NOT have it in your possession at the border station.

4. If you are confused about the process, simply call the RCMP. Dont be that guy that shows up with multiple pistols and restricted frearms per Canadian regulations. This will only create a mess and hold-up for you, including they will deny you entry and possible confiscate your property.

5. Although up to the individual Canadian Customs Officers, be prepared to have the officers inspect your firearms. Although they may not if your paperwork is all in order, expect it anyway. Have them in a locked case/container..obviously unloaded. Do not have any ammunition in the same container as the long-gun.

6. Realize that you are in a foreign nation now, and your same rights enjoyed in the US may not be applicable in Canada. Respect their requirements (you do not have to agree with them as I also do not), but show them respect and that you have attempted to your best ability to satisfy their requirements and this will go a LONG WAY with them at the border.

7. Be forewarned that there are restrictions on types of ammunition and quantities allowed to cross the border. These are broad and technical, if there is doubt about your particular ammo quanity or type....CALL AHEAD AND get the proper info if what you will be importing is allowed.

8. Inform the border officers that you are transversing Canada to get to Alaska and will not be permanetly keeping these weapons on their soil. This is highly important, as the approval paperwork to travel with your guns is usually date specific and limited to a 14 day pass.

9. READ this over and over until you understand.

10. REMEMBER, dont even bother trying to present with handguns. Just ship them via FFL’s to AK. The technical provision and barrel length requirements are too bothersome to fool with from a practical perspective.

12) Not exactly the technical answer in their primary operating differences.

13) & 14) AK stands for Alexander Kalashnikov. He was the Russian Tanker in ww2 who took a captured German automatic rifle, made some modifications to it, including changing the caliber, and introduced them in 1947.

15) lol...in other words you don't know. Research it. I think you will find it interesting reading.

16) Incorrect. It was the Armalite company, who later sold out to Colt.

17) Partially correct. Weight and quantity were indeed factors, but so is the psychological aspect behind the Nam era M16 ammo. If you kill an enemy soldier, he's just dead. However, if you wound an enemy soldier, then you cause your enemy to tie up/use valuable resources on 1 wounded man. That same wounded man can cause as many as 4 other enemy soldiers to be pulled off the line and out of the fight. The original m16 ammo was designed to inflict horrific body tissue damage by tumbling into the body and bouncing off of bones.

18) correct

19) Cookoff means when a round suddenly goes off accidentally due to extreme heat. In certain weapons, after full auto or intense firing, the chamber overheats to the point where it detonates a round on its own.

Another cause are fires. Household, vehicle, etc. If you have weapons and ammo stored, and a fire breaks out, you need to advise the firemen of the potential danger.

20) Tap rack bang ? Who taught you that ? If you have a misfired round in the chamber, why would you chamber another round ?

The first thing you do is keep your weapon pointed down range in a safe direction. You wait a minute or 2 to see if the round will detonate. Next, you remove your magazine, to prevent double chambering. Then you attempt to eject the damaged round, all the time keeping the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Once your weapon is cleared, you may want to field strip it, inspect it, clearing away any debris or dirt/sand that caused it to misfire in the first place.

I am not a house expert. I just don't believe that an 18 yr old video game junky can teach anyone anything about real world firearms. These are of course my own opinions on these questions. If any of my answers need correcting, trust me, others will let me know.

Post Posted: Sun 13 May 2012 10:26 
in memoriam

Quote:
AK stands for Alexander Kalashnikov.

I don't think so Ruffin.... I think it stands for just what he said... "Avtomat Kalashnikova "... although Alexander was the developer... I always thought it was Alexander also... but I think he is right about that...

get some more techies in here......................

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion