firearms possession • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: firearms possession
 Post Posted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 22:34 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4078
Experience: 3 - 5 years
tsuggs wrote:
Actually,

It is not as bad as it may seem. The plan may be to attach it to another bill that has to be passed, like an appropriations bill.

Howdy!
What makes me crazy is that even should that bill pass, it still won't be much help to me with Illinois. I have a house in Illinois. One of these days, I'll need to cope with that house. I'll need to go there. But Illinois does not permit carry, does not issue permits, and to have a handgun in your car requires that it be in a lock box. I haven't read the law, but I'd assume that lock box must be in a location not accessible to the driver!

We have 50 states in our union, and only one of them... just one... has no provision for carry whatsoever. No open carry, No CCW permits, Lock boxes whene transported in a car.

Figure to sell the house and stay clear of Illinois for the balance of my term of incarnation!
Mel

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
division of Colorado Bounty Hunter LLC
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

Available for Fugitive Recovery, Process Service, Investigation and Legal Courier Service.

Post Posted: Thu 15 Mar 2012 10:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Many people thoughht that Wisconsin would never become a CCW state, but they did.

So, there may be hope for Ill yet. All they have to do is overcome the Chicago voting numbers as that is where the power base is.

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
from what my soninlaw states that is in the works, Tony.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 13:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
There still may be hope for this country after all!

If Ill becomes a ccw state, maybe we can put enough pressure on DC to stop trying to take away the 2nd amendment rights.

Post Posted: Sun 18 Mar 2012 18:17 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Illinois may one day permit ccw, but it most likely won't be in the next couple years. There had been a lot of talk of ccw legislation in the works, particularly after the USSC challenge regarding the Chicago gun ban. After the high court ruled that ban unconstitutional, certain Illinois politicians began to openly state that while handguns may now be allowed in the city, they wont make it easy.

In addition to that, Ill already has a FOID law which is constitutionally questionable as well.

Wisconsin has had civilian support for ccw and had open carry for many years.

*Not to say that Ill does not have civilian support, but politics in Ill will have made it a continuing uphill battle.

Post Posted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 11:19 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

There is a show (police) filmed on the Navajo Res. During a traffic stop a ind. had his firearm taken away. The officer stated he did not have prof that the handgun was his . So i guess a copy of a bill of sale is needed. I have found www.ushandgunlaws.com and www.GeorgiaCarry.org helpful. The later has the laws, op. of the Atty. Gen. , current bills and court decisions .

Post Posted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 11:39 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
I saw the same show. I learned from it. Wasn't aware that even though I have a ccw, and traveling on state highways, that when I pass through reservations, I am literally in a different country. Now I know to contact Tribal Pd's before entering their jurisdictions.

On a seperate note, the individual in this case was carrying a ww2 Tokarov semi automatic pistol. Why ? That thing should have been locked away somewhere....not being carried as an everyday carry weapon. Now it is in the custody of the Navajo Tribal Pd. Here's the kicker...the Tribal Police have discretionary power regarding resolution of their traffic stops. They didn't have to confiscate it...they could have unloaded it, instructed the man to lock it up in his trunk until he was off the reservation.

It wouldn't surprise me if it has made its way into someone's personal collection by now....

Post Posted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 12:51 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Older handguns don't always have serial numbers. And older foreign made handguns often aren't on paper in the U.S. A few years back I picked up a small revolver at gun show, no serial number, chambered for .38s&w. Not a cartridge that is still in use, but plenty of hobby shooters around that the cartridge is still in production by some manufacturers.

Not everyone buys older handguns as curios and relics. I'm sure you can figure out what someone might want a gun with no serial numbers or paper trail for.

And as far as an indian getting their gun take away:

See Oliphant v. Suquamish Indian Tribe, 435 U.S. 191 (1978) Indian tribal courts do not have inherent criminal jurisdiction to try and to punish non-Indians.

Post Posted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 14:29 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
I apologize for not clarifying my post more clearly. The individual who was stopped by the Tribal Pd. is white, not Indian. The narrator of the show verbally explained the cops' options. The cop chose, for whatever reason, to steal....er I mean "confiscate" this highly collectible ww2 weapon.

Post Posted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 19:19 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Well, that is their "right" as far as that goes. It's like walking into a store that doesn't have a sign posted and the manager asks that you leave and come back in less your firearm. But they can confiscate the item because they may believe it pose a safety risk to those on the res. Is it morally correct? Not to someone with morals.

As far as police shows, they show numerous incidents but they do not show the consequences that follow officers after certain actions. Even tribal police can be sued, and held accountable for their actions.

On a related note:
I once had a sidearm confiscated momentarily during a traffic stop. Cop tried to tell me things in I had were illegal and he could "confiscate them and not write any tickets" and let me be on my way, or if I had a problem with that "write every ticket possible and confiscate them anyway".(1) 26in collapsible baton. (1) 18in collapsible spring body baton. (1) 800,000 volt stun gun. (still in the package at the time!). (1) pair of handcuffs...

Here in MN we are not required to disclose to an officer whether or not we are carrying. But as he yanked the door open and was yelling that I keep my hands on the wheel, and he began to get quite upset when I stayed cool about it. He asked if there was anything he needed to know about in the car, and since he seemed more on edge than some meth addicts I have encountered, I made the statement "my license is vaild, and I have a conceal carry permit, both are in my wallet next to me on top my console.... where is your handgun, yadda yadda yadda, get out of the car blah blah blah... I wasn't looking to get shot by a rookie jones'ing for a felony bust. cuffs came out, so on and so forth... sitting on a curb cuffed, after being told that I was being "detained but not under arrest" an older cop walked up to me and I just smiled and asked how long the other guy had been on the job. In the end, the cop who stopped me gave me everything back. As for the handgun, they gave that back too. Unloaded the mag and dropped the bullets on my passenger seat, placed the pistol and mag down in the same spot, left me with several tickets. I'm sure you can figure out why most of those tickets disappeared.
part of the exchange between the officer and myself:

COP: Why are you over here?
Marc: Just driving around sir. Just bought the truck.
COP: Whats up with the gun? Your license says Minneapolis, you over here to rob people?
Marc: *sigh* No officer, I did not come here to rob anyone.
COP: Well why do you have a gun?
Marc: Why do YOU have a gun?
COP: For my protection.
Marc: My purpose is no different sir.
COP: Well why do have two mags? There is no reason for you to have two magazines!
Marc: *sigh* You know as well I do the importance of a back-up mag.
COP: Well... yeah... but...
Marc: So whats the purpose behind that question?
COP: Don't you think it looks suspicious you having all this stuff?
Marc: No.
COP: There is an open full box of cartridges in your console.
Marc: Yep.
COP: Well what business do you have here in (Suburban city about 20min from mpls)?
Marc: Either arrest me or release me.

NOT ALL COPS ARE LIKE THIS. Unfortunately though, there are those who cast a dark shadow on their fellow officers. I have been pulled over before while carrying a firearm and simply told "good to see ccw holders. watch your speed". "confiscations" happen all the time, and really something needs to be done about it. In MPLS, MN, confiscated firearms are MELTED DOWN. It's quite sad.

I know a BEA who had a buck knife and a baton confiscated because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Took him over a year to get it back from the police dept, despite dropped charges.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion