Questions specific to Minnesota if that is okay please! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Questions specific to Minnesota if that is okay please!
 Post Posted: Thu 28 Jul 2011 23:34 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
As I stated, recovery is not my primary focus but there will be times that I will tag along with my recovery team and I really want to make sure I have all the facts before venturing out. We've been fortunate, my FTA's to date turned themselves in because we were making life difficult for the cosigners and family members.

Before I proceed, back in my college days I obtained Certifications in Industrial, Commercial and Hospital Security - essentially a mini police academy specifically for Security Personnel conducted by Law Enforcement Academy trainers. During College I did work in security, campus police/security, and did a stint as a bodyguard before my body told me to stop the insanity. I do have some training, I am not a cop nor am I a wanna be.

Conceal Carry:

I do have a conceal carry permit, yet for the few times I went out to support the recovery team; we carried Asps, Red Pepper spray, Cuffs and Mag Lights.

I have seen BEA's in this area carrying handguns and one BEA was seen in my neighborhood not that long ago pointing a shotgun at a FTA on a main street.

a.) Is it common for BEA's in this are to carry?
b.) When you take the FTA into the jail, do you remove your handgun or will they allow you to walk into the jail lobby with it in your holster?
c.) What about the shotgun? Isn't that a huge No-no?
d.) Minnesota allows open carry, should we carry open?
e.) Shall I assume that the rules of engagement are not different for BEA's?

LEO's:

Are there any LE departments in the Twin City area that are more willing to assist than others?

When do you call the Police for assistance?

What are the do's and don'ts we need to be aware of L.E. wise in this area?

Pepper Ball vs. Taser vs (fill in the blank):

I carry a can of Cold Steel Inferno and others with me carry the little fire extinguisher can of Pepper Spray. Should we look into the Peper Ball guns or tasers instead?

If we have to use the pepper spray or taser; are there any rules specific to Minnesota requiring us to contact EMS prior to transporting to jail?

Upon arrival at the jail; if we've had to use tasers or pepper spray, what rules/guidelines should we follow?

Mall of America, hospitals, clinics, other malls - etc...:

Watching Mall Cops of America a few months ago, they tossed a so called Bounty Hunter out of the mall. What are the recommended ways to deal with places with their own security staff? I am assuming that upon arrival you make contact with the shift supervisor and ask for there assistance?

Example: one FTA has a doctors appointment for a specific date and we have verified it at a large clinic with good security team. We don't want hassles.....

Sorry for the length of this post. I will try to keep it shorter in the future.

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post subject: Re: Questions specific to Minnesota if that is okay please!
 Post Posted: Mon 01 Aug 2011 00:03 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I own a Consulting LLC that specializes in training and helping collection agencies, law firms and small company credit departments.

If I wanted to add a Bail Recovery Division - will I need a PI or Security license here in Minnesota?

Thanks

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 09:08 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Ron,

How has your recovery business been going since you started recently? I'm a fairly new BEA, and would be happy to meet and talk about the MN scene, and any needs that can be met.

Rick

Minnesota

763-670-6934

Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 10:24 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I could tell ya about Virginia but MN... nope... your gonna probably have to do a bit of investigative work yourself... of course... being in that business, it should be easy for you to find you own answers.... and I have found that if I do the research and find the answers myself... I retain the info much longer and remember the important stuff. Always seemed to forget stuff when it was just handed to me... if I worked for it.... it stuck with me.

Google and Bing are two pretty good sources... I use them all the time... with much success...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 11 Feb 2012 07:35 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

maverick1213 wrote:
Ron,

How has your recovery business been going since you started recently? I'm a fairly new BEA, and would be happy to meet and talk about the MN scene, and any needs that can be met.

Rick

It is a tough economy and frankly I haven't got that division off the ground yet.

Post Posted: Sun 12 Feb 2012 00:49 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Quote:
a.) Is it common for BEA's in this are to carry?

Hit or miss. It used to be more common than it is now. Tasers are often carried, now more than before. Some agencies have a policy that doesn't allow their agents to carry a firearm while working for them.

Quote:
b.) When you take the FTA into the jail, do you remove your handgun or will they allow you to walk into the jail lobby with it in your holster?

Best to remove it. You can ask the jail staff before you get there, but bring a pistol-locker and plan for them to say "no".

Quote:
c.) What about the shotgun? Isn't that a huge No-no?

Certain licensed individuals (other than cops) such as P.I's and protective agents can carry a rifle or shotgun in a "public place", as statutorily defined.

Quote:
d.) Minnesota allows open carry, should we carry open

That's an individual choice. Open carry allows the skip to see you packing that tool, but also can invite a lot of questions from non-involved individuals. I have found that carrying concealed is less of a hassle; there are still those in this state unaware that carrying a firearm in the open is legal. (with a permit)

Quote:
e.) Shall I assume that the rules of engagement are not different for BEA's?

The use of force statute found under 609.
It allows for reasonable use of force, and the necessary amount of force.

It's found under the same statute as the use of force guidelines for peace officers, BEA's are not mentioned, but the statute has wording that applies to "other individuals making a lawful arrest".

Quote:
What are the do's and don'ts we need to be aware of L.E. wise in this area?

Don't break the law... I have yet to come across a cop around here that has a problem with recovery agents. I've even pulled up alongside a stopped squad car to ask if they have seen certain skips in the past, they were nothing but polite and helpful.

Quote:
Pepper Ball vs. Taser vs (fill in the blank):

Pepperballs are more of a crowd control device, and aren't as widely recognized as the Taser. The Pepperballs are also quite expensive.

Quote:
Should we look into the Peper Ball guns or tasers instead?

Tasers are often effective just by display.
If you want to go the Pepperball route, I would suggest looking into the flashlauncher device. It is a semi-automatic pepperball device, magazine capacity is 5, the launcher is incorporated into a flashlight. Has less of a "riot gear" look to it.

Quote:
If we have to use the pepper spray or taser; are there any rules specific to Minnesota requiring us to contact EMS prior to transporting to jail?

All the county jails have EMS staff on hand. Decontaminate the def if you use mace, just make sure you let the jail staff know they will need attention. It shouldn't be an issue, but a call ahead to the jail won't hurt.

Quote:
Upon arrival at the jail; if we've had to use tasers or pepper spray, what rules/guidelines should we follow?

Just let the deputies know. i.e; "he got aggressive, we had no choice but sudbue him using mace/taser"

Quote:
Watching Mall Cops of America a few months ago, they tossed a so called Bounty Hunter out of the mall. What are the recommended ways to deal with places with their own security staff? I am assuming that upon arrival you make contact with the shift supervisor and ask for there assistance?

I saw that episode... That show was ridiculous. I use to work at the big mall once upon a time. That idiot had an ASP, a tac vest with no inserts, handcuffs, and was dressed in BDU's.

MOA's policy bans simulated bulletproof vests, real bulletproof vests and openly carried weapons.

If I ever have a skip that works at the big mall, though, I have a friend who works as a supervisor for the mall administration.

Post Posted: Sun 12 Feb 2012 06:17 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
To marc_spector...

Now that was what I would call a very informative post... for less than one year experience... per your left side info... you have done a lot of reading and searching and I would commend you on that.

Direct, concise answers to direct questions.... thank you and stick around... and that is no BS... 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 18 Feb 2012 02:12 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

speezack wrote:
To marc_spector...

Now that was what I would call a very informative post... for less than one year experience... per your left side info... you have done a lot of reading and searching and I would commend you on that.

Direct, concise answers to direct questions.... thank you and stick around... and that is no BS... 8)

I know his dad and his dad trained him well.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion