Wichita Kansas Recovery Agent Shooting • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Wichita Kansas Recovery Agent Shooting
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 07:56 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3318
Experience: More than 10 years
I’m not clear on all of the details; this incident took place last night, hoping for a speedy recovery for the agent, and the capture of the coward that shot him.

http://www.kwch.com/videogallery/67647275/News/bounty-hunter-shot

Springfield, Missouri 65802
417-881-2626
Missouri State License for:
General Bail Bondsman: 0431972
Bail Bonds/Fugitive Recovery: 0431972
Private Investigator: 2010016728
Missouri POST Instructor 517111446
MO. Department of Insurance CE and Bail Bond Instructor 8025856
Kansas License # 12745855

Post subject: Re: Wichita Kansas Recovery Agent Shooting
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 08:17 

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

I do not mean to insult anyone here, piss anyone off or elicit negative responses but this is one of the reasons why I'd like to have people on my team with past law enforcement experience (from the warrant squad for example). Extensive training and field experience could be nothing but valuable I would think (not to mention an excellent marketing tool i.e. my top investigator spent 20 years in the warrant squad at XYZ Police Department). I was a little surprised a week or two ago when I saw someone post that they didn't think ex-LE officers were the right fit for this field. As someone new to this business I am surprised at how easy it is to call myself a BE agent (or whatever) and in theory get out there. As you all know I'm not doing so and am out there getting all of the training I can (I just finished Scott's online course. Thanks Scott! My next move is classroom trainig) but it indicates to me just how many untrained people must be out there calling theselves Bounty Hunters, Bail Enforcement Agents, Fugitive Recovery Agents, etc.

It was the same when I purchased my first firearm in Pennsylvania and applied for my concealed carry permit. I was absolutely amazed at the time that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania would give a concealed carry permit to someone who had owned a firearm for one week and had no formal training. I have since gotten that training, am taking continued advanced training and now carry all of the time but that first week I didn't even know how to properly handle it yet Pennsylvania said I was OK to carry it concealed whenever and (almost) wherever I pleased.

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:04 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
I do not mean to insult anyone here, piss anyone off or elicit negative responses but this is one of the reasons why I'd like to have people on my team with past law enforcement experience (from the warrant squad for example)

Back in 2004 or early 2005 . . .
There was an encounter up in Sharp County where a Recovery Agent got shot in the chest. The person shot was an off duty Deputy Sheriff who had all the "knowledge" that you speak to. He stood in front of the door and knocked, knowing that the party on the other side was often armed.

Being former LE or Military does not automatically mean, that person is going to have any, common sense. Choose your partners wisely.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:06 

Point taken. Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:24 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
All experience is a double-edged sword.

1- You do it so many times, you become really good at it.

2- You do it so many times, you become complacent (then you become an angel)

joepetro2003@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:48 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3318
I agree, this is not an industry to get complacent in and expect things to always go easy. I have seen former LE, and Military as well make grave tactical errors, being a former LE myself I know how easy it is to do so. Bottom line is we’re all human; much of the time working on little rest, the true difference comes from our training, and self discipline. We should take advantage of body armor, training and not discount anyone.

Springfield, Missouri 65802
417-881-2626
Missouri State License for:
General Bail Bondsman: 0431972
Bail Bonds/Fugitive Recovery: 0431972
Private Investigator: 2010016728
Missouri POST Instructor 517111446
MO. Department of Insurance CE and Bail Bond Instructor 8025856
Kansas License # 12745855

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
We should take advantage of body armor, training and not discount anyone.

Yup! and no matter what line of work you are, or, are not in . . . "Complacency" can be the . . . 'End Game'

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 09:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Mike,
One could assume from your post that LE training precludes someone from being shot. Police officers get shot on a regular basis. The reason for my opinion about LE on your previous post is aligned with their attitude towards our industry, as well as their specific lack of knowledge about our industry and did not disparage LE or their training in any way.

The point, which you clearly missed, is that we do things differently. We do not have the ability to overwhelm a situation with sheer numbers of people, like LE can. We are not responding to a scene and we are not required to act. We work quietly in the shadows obtaining information and choose when and where to make the apprehension. When the stuff hits the fan, and if you make enough apprehensions, it will, do not be surprised to call LE for back up and be told simply that we do not back up bondsmen, period.

Research is 1/2 of the project. The other half is being able to qualify the information, source and credibility, then apply it. Understand that you must practice discernment when you obtain information and value it accordingly.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 11:02 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
To further illustrate Scott's point: What do you do when you perform your leo check in and the dispatcher tells you to stand down and report to their facility asap ? Once there, you meet with the Sgt. who then gives you the full background on your def ? The def. is the local whack job, but heavily armed...heavily armed, serious surveillance system throughout his property, etc etc.
Needless to say I heeded his advice and withdrew from the situation. We then contacted the U.S. Marshalls and asked for their assistance.
It's all about safety and liability. Just think, it was my training and experience that possibly saved alot of lives as well as liabilities.
Leo check ins are not required in my state. What if...

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 12:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
The one thing that I learned long ago being a public law enforcement /private law enforcement instructor is not to Monday morning quarterback field officers/agents actions as the right or the wrong of the matter. But to use the incident as a training tool for other officers/agents that maybe put in the same situation.

Let us find out want the facts really are before we rush to judgment. My first concern is that this agent recovers, therefore my prayers go out to him and his family and co-workers.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage