How often are weapons involved? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: How often are weapons involved?
 Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 15:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
docmike wrote:
Has anyone here seen the television series "Americas Hardest Bounty Hunters"? These BEA's literally get into a standoff in what seems like every other bust. They do have the SWAT/Raid mentality though, which is definitely not something that appeals to me. Also, I'd just like to say that I am aware a reality show is not the best source for fugitive recovery info, but I just thought it would be a good example for those of you that have seen it

Remember that only the 1% of action in the job makes for good TV. If they tried to use all the hours of sitting watching, wrong houses ect... it would make a very boring show.

Very true. However, I have seen them go from one job to the next, same clothes and all, and get a gun pulled on them both times.

In all honesty, I think it is their own fault. They roll up in 3 cars, brights on through the windows, screaming about going to prison. I mean, what do you expect?

AcaciaCon wrote:
Herdo wrote:
Thank you for the replies everyone. Has anyone here seen the television series ....

Sorry, I kind of stopped reading right there.

Ever hear the saying, "Live by the gun, die by the gun?" I do carry, but it is my intent never to use. In my opinion, if a weapon is drawn, somebody screwed up.

I've been doing loss prevention, as my main source of income, for about four years. Both companies I've worked for, are hands on, meaning we can use more than words to get people back in the door.

The first company I worked for, we always worked in teams of at least two people. We had to go hands on quite a bit, usually because whoever I was working with escalated the situation when it didn't need to be.

The company I work for now, I work alone. You would think that with less back up people would be more likely to fight and try to get away since they have better odds. I've gone hands on once. I always go out with my hand-cuffs in my pocket, but I've never had to use them.

In LP, in BE, and in other aspects of life, It's all about the approach.

I understand why you quit reading, but like I said, I know the show is not an accurate portrayal of the job. I was more or less looking for people to tell me "No, that in no way is how things are generally done".

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 05:42 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
I understand why you quit reading, but like I said, I know the show is not an accurate portrayal of the job. I was more or less looking for people to tell me "No, that in no way is how things are generally done".

I think that has been the main theme of this entire thread... and the simple reason that you "see" nothing but physical altercations and gun play in all those "real life" BEA series is because that is what sells... actual, real life scenarios wouldn't sell a minutes time on TV... I mean, after all... who wants to see a fat balding old man with a grey beard, shoot someone with a water pistol or run away down the street in my sandals, Disney-world plaid shirt, Bermuda shorts carrying a walmart bag.... screaming like a little girl... nahhh.... you'd turn the TV off. :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 14:05 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
speezack wrote:
... I mean, after all... who wants to see a fat balding old man with a grey beard, shoot someone with a water pistol or run away down the street in my sandals, Disney-world plaid shirt, Bermuda shorts carrying a walmart bag.... screaming like a little girl... nahhh.... you'd turn the TV off. :shock:

Actually, that sounds pretty entertaining.

California PC1299 Compliant Fugitive Recovery
Process Serving
Mobile Notary
Security Consulting

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 14:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

Compared to some of the crap that is on tv now, I would probably watch the guy in sandals, Hawaiian shirt screaming like a girl.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 17:08 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: None
I am confused now. I thought Bill was the one in the Hawaiian t-shirt and sandals? Seriously though, follow advice of the wiser posters (never call them elder) and use your head. While I carry, I have never had to raise my voice yet alone go all rambo like the nut jobs on t.v.. Scott is right, some of these guys know the law better then some attorney's and would be thrilled to take someone to civil & criminal court - would give them something to do while behind bars.

That doesn't mean things have been perfect, but to be honest, I have had more issues with transporting then placing into custody. Best advice I got on here was from Mom - her info on transporting should be in every BEA course.

VA DCJS #99-99238446

Post Posted: Sat 28 Jan 2012 20:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
"You want excitement... drive a 40 ton double trailer truck on an ice covered road at 3am in the West Virginia mountains in February... with two empty trailers... now that will make your sphincter muscles contract.... "

No thanks Speezack!! You forgot to mention how exhausting that is. lol My own personal favorite "sphincter tightening memory involved pulling a 9000 lb load of empty postal carts acroos Wyoming during a nasty winter storm. All the while passing overturned big-trucks.

I prefer 45 seconds of adrenalin followed by a nap :lol:

Cell- 317-640-0724

Post Posted: Mon 02 Apr 2012 22:59 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 5 - 7 years
I have been a use of force instructor for over 7 years now and all I can say that as far as all the high speed weapons go, while it is fun to go to the range how often do you really use your weapon? Now on the other hand on every recovery how often to you use your cuffs ? Starting to see where this is going?

Take down and control and restraint leading to cuffing is one of the most over looked things in this business and LEO as well.

The question will become the integrity of the training, instructor credentials as well as your own instructor. If your Team is not trained properly, judgment could be lodged against you or cost you your freedom.

Be safe out there, and if I can ever offer any help please feel free to ask.

Cell 443-379-9463
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Posted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 04:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
chris1760 wrote:
I have been a use of force instructor for over 7 years now and all I can say that as far as all the high speed weapons go, while it is fun to go to the range how often do you really use your weapon? Now on the other hand on every recovery how often to you use your cuffs ? Starting to see where this is going?

Take down and control and restraint leading to cuffing is one of the most over looked things in this business and LEO as well.

The question will become the integrity of the training, instructor credentials as well as your own instructor. If your Team is not trained properly, judgment could be lodged against you or cost you your freedom.

Be safe out there, and if I can ever offer any help please feel free to ask.

Well stated sir....

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion