Special Agent? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 24 Aug 2007 19:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I am working to do my best. I hope to be able to keep up the good name that my partners have established before me. My first case closed on my first day out (on the tips and work of the experienced agents; I have to give that credit cause it ain't mine) and I felt I did well because the guy said to me "No hard feelings. Your job is to catch me and mine is to run. If you ever need anything, let me know, though. I was treated kinder and with more respect today that I ever have been." That let me know I was doing things the way the team taught me. Of course that is not to say I am going to hang out with the nice ones or get to friendly. I am highly allergic to a bullets lead and a knifes steal. No matter how nice they are, my guard will always be up.

I will find out from the DA in the counties what they want my title to be. Great tip, Mindtracker. Thank you. For about the hundreth time, you have given me the million dollar answer. :D

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post subject: Re: Special Agent?
 Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 13:54 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
... a few years later.
Sites like this don't help either (insert LOL here): http://aspecialagent.com/

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 17:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
In NC you're called a Bail Bondsman or Bail Agent. Anything other than that, you're in trouble. No Badges.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 22:54 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Jim wrote:
... a few years later.
Sites like this don't help either (insert LOL here): http://aspecialagent.com/

So, do you know them ?

looks like brand new, this year . . .

Quote:
) We never misrepresent ourselves as police officers! We use non-lethal weapons in the field, when searching for a fugitive.
All of our agents are fully aware of all laws and procedures regarding the right to arrest a fugitive in all 50 states that we operate in.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 03:50 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Maybe Oregon and Wisconsin are their specialty :roll:

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 04:08 

I'm left a little confused by this thread. I assumed the term "Fugitive Recovery Agent" was an acceptable term. My intention was badges with our company name on them (WITHOUT any sort of state seal obviously) and identification and business cards with our company name and "Fugitive Recovery Agent". I would never use "Special Agent" or any type of title that would suggest advanced LE or Military rank (Captain, etc). Simply "Fugitive Recovery Agent".

Like the posters who have responded I am not trying to have anyone give even a hint of impersonating a LE officer. I simply thought "Fugitive Recovery Agent" was an acceptable term based on my research. Now after reading this thread I am second guessing that decision. Am I wrong?

As far as titles go (a prior poster asked why bother) I'll speak generally to the business world vs. specifically to bail recovery. In my opinion it matters and is something I've struggled with a bit for the many years I've owned various businesses (i.e. what to call myself). Technically I am the "owner" or CEO of the businesses/corporations I own and have owned. However I am very hands on and it seems odd and small time to clients to have the "CEO" of a company hands on servicing them. In my primary business (Human Resources and Recruitment Consulting) I use the title "Principal Consultant". You'll never find a business card, e-mail signature or LinkedIn profile that says CEO. To me people who own small companies and call themselves CEO are feeding their egos (probably much like people in the Bail Enforcement business who call themselves "Special Agent". Perhaps when my consulting company grows to the point where I am sitting in an office reading reports I'll call myself the CEO but after 7 years as the owner of my primary business (and 6 years in a similar business prior) I am still a billable resource for my company and don't see that changing anytime soon.

There is something to be said for titles however in my opinion. People want to do business with those they feel are in power or a supervisory/management capacity. If a company is attempting to do business with you are you more likely to give the time of day to a sales guy/gal working the phones or the VP of Sales? I'm thinking that in the Bail Enforcement business there is something to be said for a title as well. I'm sure for many who are trying to feed their egos it's a fine line between impersonating LE and being in a supervisory/management capacity but as I think through this I think of the following scenerio in my mind. A three man/woman team show up at a residence and a heated argument ensues. A level headed individual steps forward and identifies himself as the supervisor of the team and attempts to calm the situation. Don't you think that the situation may come down a notch just by that level headed individual identifying himself with a title? Much the same as it might be in any situation where you are in a heated argument with someone who is providing a service and their supervisor intervenes?

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 08:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
FYI, there is a legal means to make apprehensions, or cause them, in all 50 states. Those members that have successfully made those apprehensions, and I am referring to doing so in full legal compliance as opposed to snatch and grabs, get a small chuckle when we are told otherwise. The funniest part is that this information is readily available to those that pursue it.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 09:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Mike, Location is key to answering your question.

In Pennsylvania you can use the title of Fugitive Recovery Agent, it's a recognized and acceptable title there.

However, there are certain states that require a specific title i.e. in Florida it's "Surety Agent"

When you venture outside your normal area of operation Just make sure you research the laws of where your going. You seem like the kind of guy that does his homework so it probably won't be a problem for you.

A good scenario would be if you picked up a skip in PA and had to transport him to FL, some of the things you would need to know are:

1). Is my PA LTC recognized in each state I will be travelling through ?

2). Is the FRA Badge I wear here in PA legal to wear in the states I will be travelling through ?

3). I'll be travelling through Virginia with the skip but I'm not licensed to do Fugitive Recovery there, so what do I do if I'm questioned by the Police in VA ?

I and others here such as Scott could answer all of these questions for you, but we're not gonna be out in the field with you when other questions arise so I'll leave it to you to find the answers. So see if you can answer these questions and post them here, I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction if you have any difficulty.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 16:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Mdbtyhtr wrote:
I am referring to doing so in full legal compliance as opposed to snatch and grabs, get a small chuckle when we are told otherwise.
Scott

I know the means are there. It's just the wording "right to arrest a fugitive in all 50 states that we operate in" gets at me a lil. To each their own, I would've found a different way to phrase it.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 20:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Alva,
Issue noted and I agree. My issue is that they are not aware that their phraseology is incorrect.

Mike, Mr. Jordan is correct. I would suggest that when making out of state apprehensions, that you print a copy of applicable statutes governing your actions, weapons (if any) and transportation of the defendant through each state you intend to travel through. Some states have history that might make you steer clear of them. If you print out the latest information on a state sanction/authored website, you will at least have a leg to stand on when confronted by law enforcement that may not be so well informed. When this occurs, and it will, I recommend the quiet and humble approach supported by your state authored documentation as opposed to the commanding presence of a Penis measuring contest that even the best of us will lose, even if the loss is just time and inconvenience. The reason for this is that there are websites that have woefully outdated material, and you don't want to bet your freedom on misinformation, no matter how well presented. Lastly, consider that a large number of us do not use badges. They are expensive and while they may be compliant in your state, they may not be where you are going. Pretty hard to charge you with impersonating when you don't posses it. Family members can get very upset when you lock up the bread winner, even if the income is derived from free lance pharmecueticals. They can and will do anything they can to hem you up and are not above lying. Do not be surprised when the local police are more offended that you had the Chutzpah to impersonate them, then they are that you have apprehended a bad guy.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion