Local Sheriff Loses Gun • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Local Sheriff Loses Gun
 Post Posted: Tue 10 Jan 2012 14:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
http://www.waff.com/story/16447457/theives-steal-from

Too bad...it is a nice weapon. Love the grips.

Quote:
ATHENS, AL (WAFF) -
The top cop in one county is looking for a crook who got a little too close for comfort.

Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely returned to work to a disturbing discovery. Knee surgery took Blakely out of commission for more than a month, and someone took advantage of his time away by taking things right out of his office.

"I noticed my pistol that I left here when I left on November 30th was missing," Blakely said. "I started looking through my desk and noticed there was an envelope of money that hadn't been deposited in the safe. My safe door was closed but not in the lock position and money was taken out of the safe."

Blakely said he was fuming to find that his firearm was nowhere to be found.

"I started to kick my desk and safe with my bad knee but that would have been a bad mistake," Blakely said.

He hasn't figured out who had sticky fingers in his absence, but he said he knows it wasn't an employee.

"At this point we don't have a specific person of interest," Blakely said. "We don't have a janitorial service, so we rely on inmates that are so-called trustees that do the cleaning up of the administrative areas."

This crime has prompted the office to change the way cleaning will be done in the future.

"No inmate will be allowed to clean an office unless the person whose office it is is inside during," Blakely said.

Blakely is offering a reward for information on the whereabouts of his gun and money. He said the amount of the reward depends on how much information is provided.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff at (256) 216-5001.

Post subject: Re: Local Sheriff Loses Gun
 Post Posted: Tue 10 Jan 2012 18:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
The only "ingredient" necessary for an exploitation to occur is "opportunity." What a bummer!

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Wed 11 Jan 2012 12:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
We recently had a Deputy Sheriff caught pawning his gun. No longer a Deputy Sheriff.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Wed 11 Jan 2012 21:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
There was a sheriff in San Bern County CA that gave away confiscated guns to relatives and friends.

I think his name was Boone Tidwell or Tedwell Boone. Maybe Tom or some other SoCal guys will know more of the story.

He is no longer the sheriff.

Post Posted: Wed 11 Jan 2012 22:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
A little more info on Danial Blayne "Boone" Tidwell:

http://mdsbc.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html

http://interactive.web.insurance.ca.gov ... BR=1675074

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Thu 12 Jan 2012 07:08 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I have a Colt .45 Satin finish Combat Commander... beautiful... that I cannot find... I think it is in my house somewhere... but...

I also give away guns... my kids visit often and over the years I have provided my daughters and sons with firearms... they were not, however, confiscated weapons...

We do get a bit lacks in our habits and often times that will turn and bite you, usually in a most inopportune time....

I once laid a pistol on my rear bumper and drove to the post office and back... and saw it on the bumper... rather embarrassing... another time I put one on the hood of my car and walked into an office... came out and a police officer was standing by my car with the gun in his hand... he had some rather interesting comments...

Memory is an interesting thing... Gail tells me to zip my pants all the time.... Tony, does 'Droz' tell you things like that.... now that is embarrassing... I know Scott can't remember a lot of stuff... like where he lives...

I am getting better now that I am older and wiser and my memory has improved tremendously... 8) 8) now, the only thing I misplace are my car keys.... or the car.... or Gail... or my dogs... or my bond papers... or... or.... or.... :oops:

:roll:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 12 Jan 2012 11:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

You and I must be twins. The Boss tells me everyday, often many times a day to zip up my pants. :( :oops:

But at least she doesn't have to tell me to put "it" back inside my pants. I can remember to do that.

Post Posted: Thu 12 Jan 2012 18:02 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Quote:
I noticed my pistol that I left here when I left on November 30th was missing," Blakely said. "I started looking through my desk and noticed there was an envelope of money that hadn't been deposited in the safe. My safe door was closed but not in the lock position and money was taken out of the safe.

-- So, did he forget to lock the safe too? If he knows it wasn't an employee who took it... who else has the combination to the safe? If there was money in the drawer where the pistol was, and there was money missing from the safe, why didnt they take the envelope of money too??? Sounds like it was an employee, or a trustee coerced by an employee and the sheriff just doesnt want to acknowledge the obvious.

823 S. BROAD ST. SCOTTSBORO, AL
(256) - 259 - 2829

Post Posted: Fri 13 Jan 2012 00:01 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
I find it a bit odd that his sidearm was stolen, but an unsecured envelope of cash was left untouched...

Post Posted: Fri 13 Jan 2012 10:26 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
You would have to know the history behind this particular sheriff to fully understand and appreciate this story.

He is the kind of sheriff that has 2 camps: Those who absolutely love him and those who absolutely hate him. He's been in office for app. 20 yrs +/-, very rarely is opposed at election time, and is 1 of our State's most famous or infamous sheriffs depending on your particular viewpoint.

So it is understandable why he felt comfortable leaving items unsecured in his office. No one would dare cross him. But obviously someone did. I can pretty much guarantee you he will find out who did this and deal with that individual accordingly.... :lol:

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage