Whats in a name? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Whats in a name?
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Jul 2003 00:21 

I've noticed a trend in the industry when it comes to what people call themselves. Fugitive Recovery Agent, Bail Enforcement Agent, Bounty Hunter, among others. In this forum I read a post from a person advertising his availability for employment as a bail enforcement agent or a fugitive recovery agent. I know it would be a large task but I would suggest that the professionals in the industry come up with one title and use it exclusively. The multitude of descriptive names is unnecessarily deceptive to the public, and hints at a lack of professionalism to legislators. When in a conversation with anyone I refer to myself simply as a bail agent. In Florida the official title is limited surety agent, although the Dept. of Insurance and legislators refer to us most commonly as bail agents. If my suggestion could be accomplished I think it would be a good step in the right direction for the industry. If anyone is interested, I think a good place to start would be the more experienced and respected agents, such as L.A.W.(Any chance of a name sir?)come up with one (maybe through a poll?)and start promoting it to others. Leadership through example is always the best way. One other thing to be mindful of though. I would tend to stay away from gender insensitive names like the most commonly used one in the nation for people that write bonds, bondsman. I refuse to use the word as it is misleading as well as being disrespectful to the many very competent and professional female agents out there. If you folks think I'm nuts about this idea, please feel free to inform me. Constructive criticisms would be preferred though. LOL ;-)

Post subject: NAMES
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Jul 2003 17:22 
in memoriam

FIRST OFF ALL I THINK U ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! BOUNTY HUNTER BRINGS TO MIND A LAWLESS TIME WHERE THE RAMBO GUNSLINGER ROAMED FREELY BRINGING IN HIS CAPTURE DEAD OR ALIVE.THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE PERIOD . SO SHOULD THE NAME BE PERIOD.
I DO NOT WRITE BONDS SO I AM NOT A BONDSPERSON OR A SURETY AGENT.I DO NOT CHASE FUGITIVES LIKE THE PD OR FEDS SO I AM NOT A FUGITIVE RECOVERY AGENT.I LOCATE AND APPREHEND BAIL SKIPS SO I GUESS I AM A BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.BUT PLEASE REMEMBER WHAT EVER U CALL YOURSELF DO THE JOB THE RIGHT WAY.QUIETLY,PROFFESSIONALY,WITH AS LITTLE VIOLENCE AS POSSIBLE AND WITH AS LITTLE BAD PRESS AS POSSIBLE.
AGAIN ALL OF U STAY SAFE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 21 Jul 2003 18:44 

The one visible(when I want it to be)I.D. I carry is a badge the says "Bail Enforcement Officer".Like HGUNNER,that's what I do,enforce the conditions of the bail bond contract.Yes, that includes the apprhension of absconded subjects,but also the supervision of those who's bonds are not revoked.Pretty much a pseudo-probation officer. It will take time for the world to catch up with the times,though.Some people just need to hear the phrase "Buonty Hunter" or they act like they have no idea what you're talking about.I agree though, that the phrase "Bounty Hunter" should no longer be associated with our profession.A bounty hunter is as good as saying "merc",which we know them to have no regard for the Law whatsoever.ALL we do is enforce a legal,binding contract with subjects who unfortunately sometimes only understand the "simplest" of explanations.-Gator

Post subject: Bounty Hunters do describe a Profession!
 Post Posted: Thu 06 Nov 2003 21:58 

Yep, Bounty Hunters describe the profession.... It's just a shame people associate it with BEA's. There are plenty of bounty hunters in america.... lawyers, politicians, and hookers. All looking to just get paid. That is what the world has become. People say screw respect and that it is all about cold hard cash. I would say that the term is still valid although not a term just linked to BEA's but all greedy people in general

In a nutshell there are plenty of bounty hunters in this world and even more vigilanties..... they are more accurate of a term because sadly the common man today is just out for himself.

Post subject: 1
 Post Posted: Tue 27 Jan 2004 21:35 

I like to refer to myself as " A personal driver that helps those inocent guys that are running slightly late for court." Bounty Hunter is just to impersonal.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 08 Feb 2004 20:40 
in memoriam

SOME MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT-IN SOME STATES IT IS ILLEGAL FOR US TO CARRY A BADGE-I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT AT ALL-HERE IS THE BIG BUT ,WE NEED TO ID OURSELVES TO ARRIVING PD IN CASE THE CA CA HITS THE FAN.I WEAR A BLACK SWEATSHIRT OVER MY VEST IT SAYS BAIL AGENT IN WHITE LETTERS ON FRONT AND BACK AND A BADGE HANGING AROUND MY NECK(NYPD STYLE SAYING BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT-WITH MY ID ON REAR POCKET OF BADGE HOLDER).EVEN THOUGH I REPORT TO PD EVERYTIME I GET INTO TOWN SOMETIMES THE STREET COP DOES NOT KNOW I AM THERE-HE NEEDS TO KNOW I AM THE GOOD GUY QUICKLY.AS MOST OF U KNOW WE ARE A VERY VISUAL SPECIES AND TRUST OUR EYES TO MUCH-SO WHEN A BEAT COP SEES A BADGE FIRST THOUGHT IS HE IS ONE OF US.IT TENDS TO KEEP THE GUN MUZZLE OUT OF MY EAR.MANY TIMES I HAVE HEARD DISPATCHERS TELL THE STREET COP RESPONDING PLAIN CLOTHS BAIL AGENTS ON SCENE AND VERIFIED.BE CAREFUL TRY NOT TO COPY THE LOCAL BADGE DO NOT USE THE STATE SEAL USE "BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT"CHECK WITH YOUR STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL AND IF QUESTIONED BY PD TELL THEM POLITLY WHY WE USE BADGES AND ID CARDS(IF ANY OF YOU WANT TO SEE THE CARD I USE OR THE BADGE I USE EMAIL ME AND I WILL EMAIL IT BACK TO YOU)AGAIN REMEMBER WE ARE PLAYING IN SOMEBODY ELSES POOL AND THEY CAN GET A LITTLE GROUCHY SOMETIMES-BE POLITE BUT FIRM HAVE YOUR PAPERWORK CORRECT ACT IN A PROFFESSIONAL MANNER AND SLOWLY BUT SURELY YOU WILL WIN THEM OVER.
REMEMBER WITH SOME SMALLER DEPTS WE MAKE MORE ARRESTS THAN THEY DO SO TO THEM YOU PLAYING IN THEIR POOL IS HARD TO TAKE .I TELL THEM THEY ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME WITH ME AND IF I CAN I GIVE THE ARREST TO THE LOCAL PDS(i make the sign a reciept for the skip)I EVEN TAKE THE OFFICERS INVOLVED OUT FOR COFFEE AND MAKE SURE TO BRING COFFEE FOR DISPATCHERS AND INSIDE PERSONEL.I LITTLE THOUGHT GOES A LONG WAY

HADLEY DORFMAN HGINVESTIGATIONS@MSN.COM 603-493-3400

Post subject: ID
 Post Posted: Tue 16 Mar 2004 09:32 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Wow! Somehow I missed this discussion when it first started, but I do have comments.

In my experience, it is necessary to distinguish myself from a would-be home-invader by the use of identifiable clothing. I wear the term "BAIL AGENT" on all four sides of my upper torso clothing; moreover, I make use of a dashcam and wear a wireless mic whenever attempting an arrest. In point of fact, I even employ a videographer whenever possible.

Why?

Because in California people are quick to retain counsel and engage anyone who has assets in civil litigation whether or not the original allegations are founded. This would generally occur after the local District Attorney has had his or her way with the victim of false allegations.

For example, I was recently called in regarding a complaint which described me as forcing entry into a house while wearing the term "FEDERAL AGENT" on a back patch. Fortunately, my dashcam caught the complaintant giving me permission to enter his house after I identified myself as a bail agent, and the video also showed the term "BAIL AGENT" on my back. Even more, the PD in question also had the dispatcher tape wherein I clearly described my intentions to attempt a BAIL arrest. The interviewing officer even noted the small patch above my breast pocket as reading "BAIL FUGITIVE ARREST TEAM."

I have heard the term "WANNABE" used to characterize my use of this equipment and identifiers, but, frankly, after 12-years of knocking on doors, I'm still here with no post-operation liability whatsoever.

The California Penal Code identifies professionals who are qaulified as follows: BAIL FUGITIVE RECOVERY PERSON. This can be shortened to BFRP.

In any case, I would strongly discourage anyone from removing the term "BAIL" from his or her identifiable clothing. Making a bail arrest arises from a civil contract between private parties despite the fact that California jails will not accept a 'bail surrender' once the skip has failed to appear; indeed, while it sounds like a blatant contradiction, the jails will only take a forfeited skip as a private citizen warrant arrest.

The choice is yours. Run the risk of being mistaken for a thug home-invader/prowler in unmarked clothing or make your intentions known at-a-glance with professional clothing and video and audio backup.

Rex

Post subject: id
 Post Posted: Tue 16 Mar 2004 13:30 
in memoriam

REX I AGREE 100 PERCENT-WE NEED TO ID OURSELVES THAT IS WHY I WEAR A BLACK SWEATSHIRT WITH THE WORDS BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT ON THE FRONT AND BACK-IN THE SUMMER BAIL ENFORCEMENT IS IN BIG BLOCK LETTERS ON THE FRONT AND BACK OF MY VEST.

I LOVE THE IDEA OF A DASH CAM BUT IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS(NH) I ALMOST NEVER GET NEAR ENOUGH TO POINT THE FRONT OF THE CAR AT THE DOOR OR EVEN THE HOUSE-BUT IF YOU DO NOT MIND I WILL TAKE YOUR IDEA OF THE WIRELESS MIC AND RECORDER IN THE CAR (I CURRENTLY USE A A VOX RADIO SET UP TO MY OTHER AGENTS AND CAN ADAPT IT TO RECORD IN MY VEHICLE. AGAIN THANKS HADLEY DORFMAN HGINVESTIGATIONS@MSN.COM 603-493-3400

Post subject: Making a Record
 Post Posted: Wed 17 Mar 2004 10:11 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Hgunner,

Got in early this morning--will hopefully be back asleep in few minutes--so bear with me if this sounds confusing due to fatigue.

I don't do extended surveillance; indeed, I use a pro-active approach of eliminating/ruling out possible hideouts absolutely, and this sometimes enables me to point my car right at a suspected location front door.

Aside for being great when negotiating via street signs in the dark, the spot lights on my pro-active cruiser act as stage lights so that vital information is not missed by the dashcam at night. I've captured some interesting footage when combining the dashcam with good lighting.

The dashcam has infrared good for about 20 feet, but this distance usually does not cover the distance between the camera and the point of interest.

Some approaches, as you are undoubtedly aware, must be of a stealthy nature and moving in with a rolling camera isn't always productive, so this is wear my dedicated camera-man comes in. It's worth mentioning that the presence of a video camera has never been questioned, which I find odd since the introduction of a camera in my dwelling would stir attention.

Of course, in a crunch the ole standby is the good old fashioned mini-cassette recorder, which is highly suggested as I'm sure you'd agree.

I have had a problem with audio from time to time. My wireless mic goes static crazy if I get too far from the receiver. Any suggestions for a better system would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I tried to shoot you an Email recently, but it came back undeliverable.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 17 Mar 2004 18:00 
in memoriam

SURETY AGENT and BAIL AGENT is a term applied to bondsman. Period. BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT seems to be the accepted vernacular wherever I've gone through the years. We enforce the conditions of bail and rectify bail situations that have deteriorated.

I know a guy who used to wear identifying clothing with large white letters reading... SPECIAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS. When he went to a door he loudly announced himself as SBI but you all know what it sounded like. He was eventually charged with 'impersonation'.

FUGITIVE RECOVERY can be misconstrued as impersonating a law enforcement officer, too, though the wording catches everyone attention and quite probably stems some confrontational activity at odd times.

Nonetheless, BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT appears to be the more accepted phraseology despite the fact most media will always use BOUNTY HUNTER.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion