USA Carry website • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: USA Carry website
 Post Posted: Sat 05 Nov 2011 06:31 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Still not quite sure why the exclusion, even after reading all your in depth info...

Here is the full site related to Virginia's gun permits:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

... and then excerpts.... Specifically:

The Virginia Department of State Police developed and administers the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program© (VFTP). This program became operational on November 1, 1989, and provides for a timely, point-of-sale, approval or disapproval decision regarding the sale or transfer of all firearms (except antiques) based upon the results of a criminal history record information (CHRI) check concerning the prospective purchaser pursuant to §18.2-308.2:2 of the Code of Virginia.

This program was the first of its type in the nation. Virginia was able to implement this program because the Central Criminal Records Exchange (CCRE) maintained by the Virginia State Police is one of the most complete records repositories in the nation and provides the database for the VFTP.

As for NICS...

The National Instant Background System (NICS) was implemented effective November 30, 1998, under the permanent provisions of the federal Brady Law. Due to the requirement of Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.2:2 for all Virginia firearm dealers to contact this Department to receive an instant criminal background check prior to the transfer of a firearm, Virginia decided to act as the point of contact for the NICS check. Therefore, the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program was modified to interface with the NICS.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 05 Nov 2011 14:54 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
These laws cover the transfer of a firearm in Virginia. To obtain a concealed weapons permit, does Virginia also use the NICS? If they do then I would urge you to write the WI attorney general. They have been pretty good at communicating with me. They wont add Missouri to the list unless or until we start using the NICS system to issue a concealed weapons permit. Missouri has no plans to do so because our permit is for a concealed weapon. Not a concealed firearm. There are a number of weapons we may carry concealed with our permits. Most of which do not require a NICS check to purchase.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Sat 05 Nov 2011 15:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
Missouri has no plans to do so because our permit is for a concealed weapon. Not a concealed firearm. There are a number of weapons we may carry concealed with our permits.

Well there ya go . . . your answer in a nutshell . . .
Arkansas is a CHGL (Concealed Hand Gun License) making its' designation quite clear.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sat 05 Nov 2011 18:22 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
It all comes down to the issuing state including a NICS check before they issue the permit. I also have a Maine concealed firearms license. But they dont use the NICS check either. That permit is only for a concealed firearm.

My current work around is to get a permit from a recognized state like AZ.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Sun 06 Nov 2011 12:32 
in memoriam

Quote:
These laws cover the transfer of a firearm in Virginia.

Absolutely correct, I failed to notice that little difference...

Also.... : http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Res ... ealed.shtm

In this description, I did not see anywhere, the mention of NICS. I always 'assumed' that Virginia, which has over the years, come under some pretty tough scrutiny related to the gun business... ie: New York and it's illustrious Mayor... would have provided adequate background checks that would have passed muster in about every other state... alas, I was obviously mistaken on that one.

Thanks for your info, it is apparent that you read much closer to the page than I...

Not sure if I will ever travel to the great state of WI, but if so... I will attempt to stay under the radar...

As you mentioned... there are other non-resident permits that are recognized in WI, so my Virginia permit won't be a problem...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 07 Nov 2011 07:18 
in memoriam

As far as I can tell, there is no 'concealed weapons' permit, only 'handgun' permit and with the following restrictions, which probably exist in most states with permits...

I may mention also, in Virginia I need TWO permits to be totally legal... I need the private permit that is issued in my county by the Circuit court and also the DCJS permit that allows me to carry while working... which technecally is 24/7... but they told me I needed both. Also, the DCJS permit has to be renewed every year with qualification done at the range.

"copied and pasted"
§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer. (Sooooo, if your LE... you can drink???)

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

§18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason. (that sort of leaves it open)

§18.2-283.1: Courthouse.

§18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

§18.2-287.01: Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion