Dealing with landlords and people in neighboring apartments. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Dealing with landlords and people in neighboring apartments.
 Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 11:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Just a quick question.

Let's say that you and an assistant are walking to the door with your clients registered address and the landlord refuses to let you knock and demands the police be present; and while waiting for the police two drunken neighbors start threatening you and creating a scene. Do you leave or wait for the police?

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post subject: Re: Dealing with landlords and people in neighboring apartme
 Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 12:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Experience: More than 10 years
It depends on the situation..

I usually call the Police ahead of time to notify them .. 8 outta 10 times the Police come to the scene 1 block away to meet with us ..we brief them on the fugitive and charges.. and they usually roll in behind us... and we go about our business, if the defendant is in the location address on the Bond Application.. and refuses to open the door or come out...then we take the door down.. or break a window to gain access..or whatever the situation at the location calls for..

The landlord in this case would be told of the situation.. and informed to step back and not interfere.. as for the 2 drunk neighbors and a landlord.. and if its only you and one other agent and the police are on the way .. wait for the police.. then have the police deal with the 2 drunk idiots and landlord then if your guy is inside and refuses to come out then take the door.. and go get your defendant..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 12:13 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
There is no bail pick up that is worth your personal safety, drunken people are unpredictable and therefore a safety risk. If the landlord says that you must leave the property, then you leave and wait for police outside. Staying after being told to leave makes you a trespasser and subject to criminal charges. Let’s not forget you get more done with a low impact approach.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 12:17 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
DSI wrote:
There is no bail pick up that is worth your personal safety, drunken people are unpredictable and therefore a safety risk. If the landlord says that you must leave the property, then you leave and wait for police outside. Staying after being told to leave makes you a trespasser and subject to criminal charges. Let’s not forget you get more done with a low impact approach.

Now that, is good advice and the bottom line..... thanks Gene...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 12:39 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Also, keep in mind that, unless your subject owns the apartment building, it is a 'third party residence'. Many states have laws that prevent you from forcing your way into a third party residence. Always know the laws of the area you are working!

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 16:15 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
DSI wrote:

Good advise right there. I personally think some one should put that up as a sticky some where. maybe a good advise posting or something. /end babbling..

Future Recovery agent.

"We are a nation of laws, not of men." - John Adams

Life is full of lessons and one I know understand. While curiosity and the thirst of knowledge is a great thing; It can become a social burden at times. Not everyone can understand "why".. I try my best to stay patient with those who don't understand and will reject me.

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 16:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Gardul wrote:
DSI wrote:
Staying after being told to leave makes you a trespasser and subject to criminal charges. Let’s not forget you get more done with a low impact approach.

Good advise right there. I personally think some one should put that up as a sticky some where. maybe a good advise posting or something. /end babbling..

In Florida Not Even the Security that Patrol the Private Property of Complex's can tell us to leave nor can the Police.

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 19:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I want to address this from a different perspective...What was it about your presentation that caused the landlord to address you at all? Because of the transient nature of our clientele, and to practice what I preach "Low Impact" fugitive recovery, I approach the land lord first to verify that our subject still lives there. The approach is generally "To coordinate and respect your residents..." I have been refused a few times, but am often introduced to onsite security, which is often off duty LE, and we quietly accomplish our task. Further, maintenance guys and regular security people will fall over backwards to give you information.

Best of luck!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 20:20 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
I want to address this from a different perspective...What was it about your presentation that caused the landlord to address you at all? Because of the transient nature of our clientele, and to practice what I preach "Low Impact" fugitive recovery, I approach the land lord first to verify that our subject still lives there. The approach is generally "To coordinate and respect your residents..." I have been refused a few times, but am often introduced to onsite security, which is often off duty LE, and we quietly accomplish our task. Further, maintenance guys and regular security people will fall over backwards to give you information.

Best of luck!

Scott

Being a security officer myself as a day job. I would give up that info in a heart beat. That is of course you acted professional and so forth. Basically what it boils down to is, one less screw ball I have to do with on my shift XD

Future Recovery agent.

"We are a nation of laws, not of men." - John Adams

Life is full of lessons and one I know understand. While curiosity and the thirst of knowledge is a great thing; It can become a social burden at times. Not everyone can understand "why".. I try my best to stay patient with those who don't understand and will reject me.

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 08:04 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:

Best of luck!

Scott

Low Impact?

It doesn't get lower. A lot of times I show up using a cane with my pepper spray and cuffs in my fanny pack. (Years ago doing undercover security I learned that a wooden cane makes a great defensive weapon and people usually write you off as a threat). When the police show up and someone is threatening a guy with a cane, they are automatically on the cane guy's side. :lol:

However on this day I didn't have the cane - just the fanny pack and a terrible limp.

The landlord was in a foul mood and took it out on us. The others were simply drunks itching for a fight - this is number of multi family dwellings 1/2 a block from two seedy bars.

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion