Professional courtesy and a wild day to boot... • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Professional courtesy and a wild day to boot...
 Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 07:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Well, I am back and thought I would share yesterday with you guys... this is a bit lengthy... but of course, you have nothing better to do................ right? :mrgreen:

I offer this info to the newbies in hopes of enlightening and maybe instructing them.... but then, this is just my take on how I operate... others may differ and that is fine.... take this for what it is worth...

Called out around 8am... did a small bond and while there a lady walked up to me and ask if I was her bondsman??? Well, I said 'who did you call'... she told me and said he was due there around 9am but had not shown up or called... (Monday morning)... Now this is where I am a bit different than the rank and file... I hate to toot my own horn but.... anyway...

I said... "let's give your bondsman some time to get here and if he has not shown up or called by the time I finish my business, we will take a look at your bond"... she agreed and had a seat.

I finished up and she said she had called him and he had not answered.... well, that sealed it with me.... I wrote the bond... and did not feel the least bit sorry for the bondsman that did not have the courtesy to call or respond to this lady who was sitting with her young child in a hot jail, waiting to get her husband released. Of course this was her side of the deal but I had no reason to disbelieve her... anyway, I just told her that if the bondsman did call her, I would appreciate it if she would simply tell him she had waited over an hour and a half before the other bondsman (me) had said he would write the bond... just so the other guy would know I gave him a fair shot at it.

Now another part of the day............ I was in Walmart, picking up some medicine and when I came out... there was a message (no service in Walmart) missed call from one of my indemnitors.... Here is the main line on this one..... 10K bond, written on an 18 year old female... multiple G Larceny, drug... etc.... due in court for the second time TOMORROW MORNING AT 10 AM... it was 3pm.. this girl was in rehab at a mental hospital in Petersburg which was about 60 miles from me, east... the case was out of Powhatan Circuit court, which was about 55 miles north of me.... and the jail I had bonded her was in Farmville.... 45 miles west of me.... and it was 3pm... Circuit court closed at 4:30pm... do you think the body orifices began to close tightly............... :oops: :oops:

The mother said the hospital was going to release her to her boyfriend... a druggy... and they were headed for parts unknown and mom said.......... "IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN DO??????????????" :roll: :shock:

Now here's a lesson kiddies....... here's how you do it the right way (my way anyway... 8) I do not ever say... impossible... but frankly, I had my doubts on this one...

I happen to have a bail piece in her folder but her folder was in my office... 20 miles in the other direction... adding to the drama......... I put that little Chrysler Town and Country in the wind.... luckily, I know the cops and they usually do not bother me unless I run over a cow or something.... I got home, gave Gail the meds and put the groceries in the refrig.... picked up the defendants folder and headed out the door... I got on the cell and called the hospital and told them not to release her because she was under bond and I had an arrest warrant which was to be served that day... they put me through to her counselor and she agreed to hold her until 6pm... luckily, I had a code number that allowed me to talk about her case (this is often the case when dealing with mental facilities... remember this... or you may not have access to the info.... get the case code from someone that would know it .... like mom or dad, other wise the facility will not discuss the case with you...).

So that end was sealed, at least for a couple of hours... next, I pulled the file and to my horror... the bail piece, which I had printed online, was not signed.... :shock: :shock: :shock: I called the circuit court and they said they closed at 4:30pm... it was 3:40.... I was very professional and explained my position and the clerk said... "well, we will be here till 5pm... if the door is locked, just knock...!!"... whew.... I put the pedal to the metal and headed for the courthouse.... 45 miles north.... I was sitting in the clerks office at 4:25, she signed the capias and I headed now for Petersburg.... 50 miles east.... I made it the hospital in 38 minutes.... walked in and the lady behind the desk said.... "I think she just left!!!, oh, wait a minute... she is putting here stuff together now..." I was permitted to enter the facility with two sets of hand cuffs and set of shackles... she saw me... coming toward here, dropped her head and said.... "Mr. bondsman... are you gonna take me back to jail..." I was very calm and quiet and said in a low voice.... "yes, <called her by name>, we have to do this so we can get your case taken care of tomorrow..."

Let me expand on her case... this young lady had been diagnosed... schizophrenic and bi-polar... two very unfortunate conditions that when combined (as they often are) can render a person... absolutely nuts... and I had to transport her 70 miles back to jail........ alone.!!

This just get better and better....................... :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will tell you I was dressed as usual in my FULL SWAT GEAR... shorts, polo shirt, white tennis shoes... sunglasses... no gun, no water pistol, no bullet proof vest, no badge, no stun gun, no billy club, no sap... looked like I was going to the country club... that is my 'pickup skips' outfit... (you may want to make a note of this newbies... look professional but do not try to look like a cop... it can backfire on you!!).... cuffs in my pockets... and a smile on my face... I looked her in the face and ask if she wanted to do this.... "easy or hard?" she responded easy.... we walked out to my van, I placed her in the front seat... told her I "had" to put the cuffs on her... actually ask her permission... she complied nicely.. I put the cuffs on and the shackles and the seat belt... I did have an orderly with me till she was cuffed securely... put her belonging in the car... I might mention that her boyfriend was not there yet....... so no problem there... we left.. drove with no problems... delivered her to Piedmont Regional at 7:30pm... she was very cooperative... I did move my gun to the left side of my seat and watched her very closely for the 70 miles or so...................... I spoke quietly, did not try to intimidate or upset her and agreed with most of what she said....

Delivered her inside the sally-port... got my bailpiece signed....

............. went directly to 'Applebees'... ordered a big cool drink (unsweetened tea 8) ), ate a nice meal and went home... case closed. Day over.

My only recap is that if you do things easy and professionally and don't make waves... life usually will flow along nicely... at least, most of the time.... treat people with respect and most of the time it works.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Professional courtesy and a wild day to boot...
 Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 09:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
That is just the way that it should be done. Good job BILL !
Professionalism and a good rapport goes a LONG ways

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 16:40 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Though unfortunately there are always those people who no matter how professional and polite you act towards become a complete ............. Unrelated to your situation but a similar story to where i acted polite and professional and all i got me we cussed out. My lease for my apartment was scheduled to terminate July 1st. I reminded my landlord (who lives 3 ft from my apartment door, he does not work, or do really anything for that matter) that i would be out by July 1st by a note i left on his door. I would post his response to this but 95% of it would have to be blacked out due to its expletive nature, but basically he claimed i did not give him enough notice and had to pay him more rent. I told him that i would contact Housing Action Coalition of Rhode Island about the laws and if i owed him the money i would pay him. His response - more expletives and saying even if they said i owed him nothing he would still sue me and make me fly out from Colorado to go to court as i was relocating to Denver. It ended up turning out that i followed the lease terms to the letter and i ended up having to call the cops on him (that happened when he contacted my wife, you can say whatever you want to me, but the moment you talk to my wife well i don't take kindly to that) In the end he left me alone because he realized that if he continued he would get criminal charges etc. However this hole time i never swore at him once, agreed to pay him if i misinterpreted the lease, and all i got back was his big mouth.

Moral of the story, dunno, people suck? But it is true MOST of the time if you are polite and professional people will USUALLY treat you accordingly.

Denver, Co
Skype greyfoxisa

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 16:55 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Thank you for the story and good info as always Bill. I learn alot by the information on this forum daily.

North Carolina

Cell:703-296-5585

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 17:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
Bill -

Very good and educational story.

I agree with exactly how you handled it - both situations‼

I too {when I have done apprehensions or recovery} wear similar attire. Usually - Jeans, a tropical print shirt (kinda my signature,) sneakers (in case I have to chase!,) and an identification tag. I want to look professional but casual. They don't see you coming until it's too late and Law Enforcement respects & appreciates the fact that I don't look like a "Cowboy, Rambo Bounty Hunter!"

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 18:45 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Personally, I try to look like Don Johnson, but did not pull that off well, so switched to Magnum PI, but had the same results. So I gave up and decided to cultivate my present "look", that of a fat old bastard, but jovial :)

Good work Bill, Reminds me of the one you and I did at the house full of wayward women, but I think you have told that one before!

Glad to have you back, I missed ya'!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 20:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
I'm always thinking the "what if"........so what if you didn't get the capias signed what would you have done?.....what if you did get it signed but she was gone by the time you got there?
That probably would have resulted in a "SWEETENED" tea. :wink:

Great job as usual.
That was some day, which probably caused more weight loss and gray growth.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Tue 09 Aug 2011 20:42 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
BigDave wrote:
I'm always thinking the "what if"........so what if you didn't get the capias signed what would you have done?.....what if you did get it signed but she was gone by the time you got there?
That probably would have resulted in a "SWEETENED" tea. :wink:

Well, I thought of all that, but I figured I could do it... and I did not consider the alternative... but had it happened, I would have dealt with it... and yes... the tea would have been more than 'sweetened'... probably with a bit darker color... Dave, you are funny as hell.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 06:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Personally, I try to look like Don Johnson, but did not pull that off well, so switched to Magnum PI, but had the same results. So I gave up and decided to cultivate my present "look", that of a fat old bastard, but jovial :)Good work Bill, Reminds me of the one you and I did at the house full of wayward women, but I think you have told that one before!

Glad to have you back, I missed ya'!

Scott

Thanks alot for taking my every day look Scott, I have worked with that look for the last ten years... :oops:

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 06:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Scott,

That is much too funny ! My wife asked why I was laughing (didin't realize I was) I told her to read your post then we both were laughing, The mental image was so dang funny.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion