Concealed Carry • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Concealed Carry
 Post Posted: Fri 08 Jul 2011 06:10 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Not to get off the subject but Gail is not attending due to her going to the 'American Idol' concert that is being held the same day... she would prefer the crab feast but cannot change because she has all her girlfriends going with her and it would cause too much of a stir.... it will be our loss, but is not fixable.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 09 Jul 2011 09:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
That just saved me and Scott from getting a good whupping for talking about her "concealable 12 gauge."

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 22:38 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 5 - 7 years
you might look at Blade tech have had it for years and its great IWB and out. Please Stay away from the Blackhawk Serpas.. There have been problems with people ND's and shooting themselves in the leg because of the push button in high stress moments. Good luck and happy hunting.

Cell 443-379-9463
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Posted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 10:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Chris,
Now there is a blast from the past, glad to see that you are still alive and kicking!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 14 Jul 2011 07:15 
in memoriam

Quote:
Please Stay away from the Blackhawk Serpas.. There have been problems with people ND's and shooting themselves in the leg because of the push button in high stress moments

That issue was brought up at a recent IDPA meet... in the instance when you are carrying a handgun without a manual safety, as is the case with a Springfield XD... which has the 'palm' safety and the trigger safety... when reaching quickly for your weapon... you 'slam' your hand against the firearm... thus releasing the 'palm or hand safety' and if you then were to push down on the handgun without pushing in the release button... you could actually push the gun down hard enough to engage the trigger into firing since the bar that holds it in place has not been released.. at that point the gun will fire... with it still in the holster.

Image Image
Storm series Beretta with manual safety. 'pinch' type holster w/Taurus 9mm also with manual safety.

XD Springfield series with no manual safety... trigger safety and 'palm' safety only

I use this type of holster in IDPA, as do many others I have seen... it is definitely an action that can take place.

The main reason I still carry in that holster is that I am shooting Beretta Storm series guns, either a Subcompact .40 or a standard 9mm.. and they have the external safety which removes that possibility... of course you have to flip the safety down when engaging your target adding precious time to your reaction but then....

I think an alternative would be a paddle holster with the adjustable 'pinch' type retainer.

I like the holster but your comment is on the mark. I do however, prefer the manual safety. Just my preference.

No manual safety IMHO... is and can be very dangerous... as was proven to me recently in another thread... where I actually fired my XD.... "accidentally"... while cleaning.... luckily... it only went through my dining room door... a lounge chair (unoccupied)... into the floor... but it did absolutely wake me up ... that this could happen to anyone... as careful as we all try to be.......... it can happen.... my vote is for a manual safety.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 14 Jul 2011 16:14 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Location: East Kern Bail Bonds-Ridgecrest, CA Kern County (760) 375-5706
Experience: < 3 years
All true, but you can't really beat a serpa's retention in a fight or flight tussle. I'll take the million and one chance of shooting myself in the leg over a defendant taking my gun and bringing the odds down to 50/50.

(760) 375-5830 fax
"The world has changed! The strong no longer survive, but the smart. Victory goes to the one that combines his brains with his heart."

Post Posted: Thu 14 Jul 2011 21:12 
in memoriam

Ambros... I will have to agree with you... I do like the holster in spite of the problem... and I try to draw quickly when shooting in IDPA but so far... I have not seen it happen, although it has been discussed in depth...

Quote:
All true, but you can't really beat a serpa's retention in a fight or flight tussle. I'll take the million and one chance of shooting myself in the leg over a defendant taking my gun and bringing the odds down to 50/50.

Post Posted: Sat 16 Jul 2011 19:22 
in memoriam

I need to correct an error.... (yes, I made a mistake).....

The holster we were speaking of is apparently not the one I have.... and not the one I carry in.... it is made by Blackhawk but it does not have the bar across the trigger area... it only retains the pistol by a small hard plastic 'tit' that protrudes into the 'front' of the trigger guard... it does not come close to the trigger and I have discovered that it is virtually impossible to get the little piece of plastic to contact the trigger, so the accidental discharge in this particular holster is extremely difficult to accomplish. In fact, the only way that I can see that this holster could actually pull the trigger is if the holster were to actually break and the weapon could be forced downward and then it would still be almost impossible for the trigger to be engaged.

The release button on the outside of the holster only extends about 1/4" into the trigger guard and does not come close to the actual trigger.

Just wanted to clarify that.... another holster must be what he is talking about.

Here is one of my Blackhawk holster with an XD Tactical .45... the button in the center only protrudes about 1/4" into the trigger housing and cannot cause the weapon to fire unless the holster actually breaks... hope this clarifies and corrects my earlier post.

BTW... as far as I can determine... this holster will fit many of the Springfield XD weapons from compact to full size... my XD.40 subcompact fits it and also as seen... my XD.45

Post Posted: Sat 16 Jul 2011 20:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
So I am still waiting on a call back from the RPD on my CCW app. In the meantime I modified my G30 by adding a trigger lock.

It was a simple mode by just replacing the old trigger with a new one containing a locking "button."

I heard that some CA sheriffs or pds will not certifiy a weapon for CCW if it doesn't have a manual safety or decocker.

Because the 30 is a striker fire, there is no external hammer but, I have a manual safety now.

So, I wont shoot myself in the leg whipping it out!

When I have time if I can fihguren out how to post a photo of it, I will.

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 07:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
Glock 36 in a Bianchi half holster. Very tight to the body and with the single stack mag it is pretty much not seen. I have big hands and wanted a couple more rounds so added the +2 mag extension. When its on with a standard button up shirt it works very well and has a thumb break as well.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion