Ohio Agents Heading Into Michigan... • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Ohio Agents Heading Into Michigan...
 Post Posted: Mon 11 Jul 2011 21:55 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Greetings Gang:

A fellow Ohio agent and myself will be heading into MI this coming week to look for (and hopefully return to jail) a wanted person. Couple questions regarding Michigan law concerning Bail Bond Agents:

1. What common tools in Ohio are not allowed in MI?

We are both licensed agents in the state of Ohio, and plan on going with our regular load-out, (Vests [armor], Taser [M26], ASP). Which of these items, if any, are disallowed within the state of Michigan?

2. Badges or no badges?

Provided we have the correct terminology on the badges, are badges themselves ok, or are these a no-go in MI?

3. Weapons.

Within MI, is our OH CCW sufficient for conducting business as a Bail Bond Agent, and are we ok with open carry once we arrive at our destination? What about long arms?

I have searched the forum, but have found differing information from differing sources on some of the above topics.

If anyone could shed some light on the above topics, it would be greatly appreciated, as we definitely want to stay on the right side of things, and present a professional appearance as we conduct our duties in the state of Michigan.

Post subject: Re: Ohio Agents Heading Into Michigan...
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 01:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
your ccw permit is valid in MI
You could contact Steve Faircloth owner of A way out Bail Bonds there in OH his contact information is in the Agency Directory in OH. I know he goes up in MI quite often (DETROIT AREA)

I think i could give you all your answers but i have not been up there in awhile and laws change real fast and over night . I would give the law enforcement agency a ring in the town in which you are going as that is who you will have to answer too. If you can not find your answers shoot me an email and i can get it for you.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 05:21 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Experience: < 3 years
Gasses are not legal to carry for bounty hunters in Michigan. I specifically asked law enforcement about this. The only ones lawfully allowed to carry them are law enforcement. Also, there are only certain grades of pepper spray that is allowed as well. Good luck with your hunt!

2562 Walton Blvd. PMB #136
Warsaw, IN 46582
574-371-7911

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 05:23 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Experience: < 3 years
Sorry, I meant tasers not gasses. My stupid iPhone!!!!

2562 Walton Blvd. PMB #136
Warsaw, IN 46582
574-371-7911

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 21:54 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Made a ton of phone calls today, and here is what I was able to find out - Hope it might help someone.

As per the Michigan State Police Legal Advisors:

1. Body armor - As long as you are not a convicted felon, and do not intend on using it in an unlawful fashion, body armor is perfectly legal to use in Michigan in the course of your duties. BE AWARE that not all MI Law Enforcement Officers are aware of this fact. I had a MI State Trooper tell me on the phone "Nope, body armor is 100% illegal for 'civilians'", when in fact, MSPs Legal Dept. assured me that not only was that Trooper incorrect, they also gave me the MSP code that pertains to body armor and the Sgt. I spoke to assured me that she would personally call that Trooper to explain the actual law to him so that he was clear on the matter.

For added assurance, I went ahead and printed out all Michigan laws pertaining to body armor so that we have them on our persons if/when we should come into contact with law enforcement in MI. I would advise others to do the same, in order to clear up any misconceptions... and utlimately, so you don't end up in the back of a squad car for no reason.

2. Tasers - Tasers are 100% illegal for 'civilians' in MI. However, as a licensed bail bondsman in the state of OH, there may or may not be an exemption, depending on who you come into contact with, and how they may or may not interpret the law. A licensed bail bondsman should be exempt from this law, but it is definitely not something I feel comfortable taking a chance with, as there is no cut-and-dried statute in place to protect us should we run across the wrong LEO.

There are, however, laws being put forward as we speak that should they pass, will allow anyone with a valid Concealed Weapons Permit to carry a taser. Be advised that these laws have not been passed yet, and are still moving through the house on their way to (hopefully) becoming law.

3. Badges - MI law is pretty plain on badges. Nothing on your badges that resembles any sort of law enforcement nomenclature whatsoever, and you should be fine. There is an actual list of prohibited terminology listed in the MI code, and I can post the actual sections of code pertaining to everything in the above post if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to be construed as legal advice, and if you are in doubt, you should check with legal counsel and/or the prosecutor in the county/city in which you intend to do business.

However, I would NOT rely on one officer's interpretation of the law, as not every officer is up to date on every law. When in doubt, contact the prosecutor, and both local and state law enforcement legal departments to verify any laws.

Post Posted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 10:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
nice work on the follow up, good luck on your adventure. We, as a rule, always have local laws copied and on our perswon if nothing else, than to cause an officer that may be misinformed a little pause to re-think his actions :) A nice law suit and I can retire...

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 16:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
I or we have never had a problem in Michiagn.... We always had our paperwork in order, Our State ID, our badges with our license number on them, tasers, vest, blue jeans, and our polo shirts. We have contacts with county sheriff's and the local PD. I call or stop by PD and let them know I there. That's all I need up there with no problems.

Hell, I'm always there.... It's seems like another home for us. Even though we lived there for ever..... and my oldest daughter goes to college up there (BOOOOOOO!) to be attorneyat law.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 21:00 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yep, once I feel more comfortable working with certain PDs, and establish a relationship with them, I may bring the Taser along. As of right this minute, we never know who we are going to encounter, so I am going to err on the side of caution.

The code relating to Tasers in MI isn't exactly the clearest in the world, and being that any officer who has 'Tasers are illegal for civilians!' drilled into his/her brain (kinda like the Trooper that told me under no circumstances are we allowed to use body armor...) could potentially complicate things a lot more than they need be, I will pass on the Taser until we get to know some of the guys up there a bit better (and/or some clarification in writing that being licensed in OH translates into being able to use a Taser under the letter of MI law).

Hopefully the new legislation allowing CWP holders to carry Tasers will move along quickly, and that will be that, as MI is one of only a handul of states that make Tasers illegal for 'civilian' use.

I do find it interesting however, that a CWP holder in MI can carry lethal force, but cannot carry non-lethal force (at least not in the form of a Taser or stun gun). Seems a bit strange.

Post Posted: Thu 14 Jul 2011 21:07 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Poor mans pepper spray..... a water pistol filled with Clorox? Only thing is.... eye damage is usually permanent if not flushed with clear water almost immediately... (you could dilute the Clorox a bit) but it would give pause to any action taking place... don't laugh... it works... just carry a little bottle of clear water so when the guy hits the ground and is screaming... you can wash out his eyes... after you cuff him....

I must tell you, I do not practice this but I do know of at least one BEA in Carolina that does in fact have a lime green water pistol in his car filled with Clorox.... he said it's a lot :shock: 8) cheaper than pepper spray and can be refilled quickly... and costs $1.50 at Walmart.... 8)

I know, I know..... but you guys have to understand.... southern Virginia and North Carolina... lots of the folks in this business around here are just good ole country boys.... I know one that doesn't wear socks!! and carries a black powder pistol?! (you don't need a permit for primitive weapons) :shock:

Just giving you something to think about.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jul 2011 17:21 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Mission successful. Another one in the books. Thanks for all the input folks!

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion