Could Use Some Advice • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Could Use Some Advice
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 14:09 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Hello Everyone.

I am 2 years young in this business. I love it. I've been taught how to write bail well and with my other skills I have from my life, I've been able to maintain a very low skip rate.

However, I would like some advice. It seems like I'm fighting the issue of getting customers with both arms tight behind my back. It's not a fair fight at all even though I know that life in itself is not fair sometimes. My first year was slow which i expected it to be but it picked up the last few months which was incredible. Year 2 started horribly but I believe because it was Janurary 2011. From February to May was outstanding. The past 2 months though (which is typically the best months for crime), it's like I stopped being a bondsman and its like my phone is shut off even though it's not.

When I got into business, I learned right away how political the game is. I was left off the jail list in my home county for 5 months even despite affirmation from the jail commander I was on the list. On top of that, here in Indiana, the jails don't rotate the list located in the jail. So since my last name starts with a "S", I will always be at the bottom of the list in the jail no matter how long I'm in business or how many new bondsman come into business after me, as long as they have a last name that is under the letter "S", they'll be above me on the jail list.

It's easily observed and a fact that the 2 bondsman that get the most business in my home county have the last name that starts with a "B" because they're always on top of the list, always at the jail bailing people out, and getting extra clients for being at the jail when others come in looking for a bondsman, and asking if them if they're one.

I recently have learned that one of the companies that start with a "B", threatens their clients that as they bail them out, if they get re-arrested and call another bondsman, they'll revoke the first bond on them. This is illegal to my knowledge as we can only re-voke bonds in Indiana under certain conditions of IC 27-10-2-5.

So with all my babbling here, can anyone provide advice of what I can do on anything I've said or how to get and keep more business coming with the hand I've been dealt? I can't afford to continue to have months like June and so far July or frankly, I'll be out of business. Thanks.

2562 Walton Blvd. PMB #136
Warsaw, IN 46582
574-371-7911

Post subject: Re: Could Use Some Advice
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 16:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
Curtis,
There are things that you can control and things that you can't. Just because someone's last name is an early letter in the alphabet, does not account for all of their business. How long have they been in business? They probably have more repeat clients than you do. Don't get stuck supporting the rumor mill. Look for alternative means of marketing and multiple revenue streams and best of luck.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 16:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Location: East Kern Bail Bonds-Ridgecrest, CA Kern County (760) 375-5706
What's your advertising like? The biggest thing I've found is ensuring that the "customer" feels like they're getting more or a better deal by being associated with you in some way. Get your name out as much as possible so that anyone needing your services feels like there is no alternative. As Scott mentioned, multiple streams of income that may drive business to you....Do you also do Notaries, Process Serving, Fingerprinting, volunteer work with the local agencies? Services like that may drive business to your office so that the bail business is also brought to mind later if needed.

(760) 375-5830 fax
"The world has changed! The strong no longer survive, but the smart. Victory goes to the one that combines his brains with his heart."

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 16:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Maybe Indiana is different but, here in Calfiornia, there is no "best month" for bail.

What is it in June and July back east that makes people go out and commit more crimes?

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 17:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Here in the South East Tony we get alot domestic violence charges during the winter 'cause we don't like to go outside when it's cold.

Anniston, AL

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 18:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Cold in Alabama?????

I grew up in Milwaukee, WI. You want to hear about cold!

We went to tha bars in below zero weather. Went fishing on frozen lakes.

Some of my crazier friends went to Green Bay Packer games at Lambeau Field in December and watched the whole game without a shirt, gloves or a hat on.

That is why I moved to California to get away from the cold winters. :D

Last edited by tsuggs on Tue 12 Jul 2011 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 19:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
[hijack]
Yeah, Tony but you are in Northern Cali - Down here in So Cal much nicer - That is why I returned after 10 years in Baltimore... too cold for me there and that wasn't even or near as cold as Milwaukee!!
[/hijack]

Sorry... for the interruption - I now return you to the topic of the thread!
8) :lol:

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 19:21 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

My main advertising is phonebooks in 3 of my main counties I write bail in and just started getting into some smartphone apps for yellowbook. I also advertised on local/county wide map that other advertisers did as well and was handing out. I also do parades because they're free and lots of people. Lastly, I have the name of my business on the side of my S.U.V. In the phonebooks, it's pretty much the words, best rate, free bond advice, etc.

As far as the weather. Statistically, crime rises in the summer and I would certainaly agree that certain crimes go up in the summer versus the winter.

I realize that it goes in cycles but this one is a really bad one.

2562 Walton Blvd. PMB #136
Warsaw, IN 46582
574-371-7911

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 19:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
June, July and August usely a very slow months for us. October 20TH and on is are busy months. But, for some reason this June and July has been very busy for my companies ( Bonds). Thank God, no FTA's in about 5 months...... :mrgreen: It's been very slow for recovery.

P.S.---- Mr. Martz glad to see everything turned out great for you and your family. You were and are in our prayers, Sir..... :D

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 20:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Curtis,
I know who you are talking about and you are up against 2nd and 3rd generations in the Warsaw area. You are on the list at the lock up as i am good friends with the night jailer there and i gave him a call, they do not rotate. What new bondsman usually get is run over and people the old bondsman do not want to write or have wrote paper and they FTA,d or caused trouble. As far as their business practices if you have solid information & Proof of wrong doing i will be more than happy to put you in touch with whom you need to see but be prepared to take some heat going after them.

Marketing is the hardest part of owning a new business or any business

My Son says business is way slow for right now with Bail bonds here in Fort Wayne

At any time a defendant gets arrested again a bondsman can get of any previous paper wrote on them. Read your own bail piece and conditions and it most probably states the same thing

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion