Private Bail Uunder Attack • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Private Bail Uunder Attack
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 12:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
I have come across several articles over the last week about different legal organizations pushing for the elimination of private bail. It seems to be a coordinated effort.

Here are links to the ABA and the Public Defenders stories about pre trial release services agencies.

Everyone should contact their surety company and state association to begin a plan to deal with this problem. Otherwise we may be going out of business sooner than we think.

http://www.abanow.org/2011/05/pre-trial ... ent-crime/

http://nlada.net/sites/default/files/na ... 042011.pdf

Post subject: Re: Private Bail Uunder Attack
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 13:39 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
What country am I in?? Isnt there a Constitution that speaks to this? What about right to fair bail, thats what is needed. If "someone" can "decide" who gets what bail or no bail at all that opens us up to a whole lot of favoritism, pay offs, etc..more corruption, more deficit.

This is crazy... The states that have done this are hurting.. why would we want to follow suit?! I guess were already so far in the red, whats a few more billion added to the deficit by criminals.

Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 14:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
What we need to understand is that this lunacy benefits somebody. God save me I don't know WHO.......but somebody in a house on a hill, or some similar metaphor, will benefit from this. It is up to us to explain to the general public, and to the lawmakers with a from-the-ground-up grassroots approach, how and why the abolition of commercial bail would be devastating both to our financial situation AND our public safety. It really is a simple and compelling arguement, ours I mean, but somebody isn't listening. We need to know why.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 15:55 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I know!!! I know!!! :shock: Its governments way to control MORE of the finances in the country.... MORE government... They want their hand in EVERY aspect of any kind of financial industry in this country.

Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 16:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
The Criminal Defense Attorneys have always felt that they compete with us. If the defendant has to pay bail, they don't have the money for the attorney. While it is against the law in some jurisdictions to refer clients to Attorneys, it does create a good business relationship. This economy has hit the Attorneys as well and they are scrambling to take food off of our plate to feed themselves.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 21:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
The Criminal Defense Attorneys have always felt that they compete with us. If the defendant has to pay bail, they don't have the money for the attorney. While it is against the law in some jurisdictions to refer clients to Attorneys, it does create a good business relationship. This economy has hit the Attorneys as well and they are scrambling to take food off of our plate to feed themselves.
Scott

Agreed Scott !

So far have not been hearing any wind of this here . . . will keep ears and eyes open and will do all that I can to assist and dig up info for those that need it.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 06 Jun 2011 22:13 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bingo Scott!

Also remember, judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys are all lawyers. Most are required to belong to their state BAR associations.

So they can plan or plot together against private bail.

If we don't get just as organized very soon with bail agents, recovery agents and surety companies, it will be McDonalds or unemployment.

Post Posted: Fri 10 Jun 2011 14:20 

tsuggs wrote:
...they can plan or plot together against private bail.

If we don't get just as organized very soon with bail agents, recovery agents and surety companies, it will be McDonalds or unemployment.

Exactly right, Tony. Just in the last couple months, here in Colorado, we saw a sudden, out-of-the-blue attempt by Pretrial to team up with the courts, that would have legislated 10% bail by the courts as an option to commercial surety bail.

Senate Bill 186 would have given defendants a choice of paying 10% of the bond to the courts with no collateral and no real threat of being tracked down & returned to court if that defendant FTA'd (because, of course, so many D.A.'s offices are so reluctant to enter warrants...misdemeanors or felonies...into the NCIC system) OR of paying up to 15% of the bond AND providing collateral AND having to sign off on allowing the bondsman or his agents to fetch him up if/when that defendant FTA's.

Now which option would ya'll think looks better to a defendant? Had it passed, this, along with the huge expansion of pretrial services included in the legislation would have put all but the most established bond companies out of business, while inflicting great loss of income to those that could keep their doors open.

Our only saving 'grace' in this issue was that the bill died in committee because the legislative session ended. We are quite sure we'll be fighting this battle again, next year.

Our industry is being attacked hard and often, in Colorado, and we're certainly not the only state that those opposed to commercial bail are looking at with beady, greedy, lustful thoughts of dollars in their eyes.

If the industry, as a whole, doesn't wake up and organize to engage these battles we'll surely 'die' one hill (state) at a time. Speezak and I tried to bring these threats to light in threads that we both started last year.

Thanks for bringing it up, again, Tony. We can't get complacent and expect others to do the dirty work for us. All of us should get involved and it starts at the local level by educating our county commissioners first. The surety companies will be much more receptive to our calls for help if they can see that we've done our homework in our own A.O.'s first.

I'll get off the soapbox now but please, people, take a look at what we're facing and get involved.

Professional regards.
Bailagent100

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion