Prisoner Transport • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Prisoner Transport
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Apr 2011 06:21 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I move the following topic out of the original thread because it probably detracted from Rob's question... besides I think this has been discussed before... anyway... just put it here for discussion in the event anyone besides me was interested...

I was doing a bit of research on 'fugitive transport' and came up with the following in case anyone was interested... I was doing it for my own info and thought it may be something that would interest the group.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:Copied, moved..."

Ok... just found the following on the VA DCJS site...

http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/common/mem ... memoid=304

and this: http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/standardsT ... panies.pdf

and this: http://law.justia.com/cfr/title28/28-2.0.1.1.42.html

I believe the last link is the one that spells it out rather completely. I believe this is certainly the proper way to go about fugitive transport, however, having said that... I do know that there have been times when I have been asked and have preformed fugitive transports for local and nearby jurisdictions and I frankly, have none of the proper credentials as pointed out on the last link above. That would lead me to say once again.... the rule of thumb is.... "there is no rule of thumb" and while there are obviously regulations on this activity... it absolutely depends on the LE folks you are dealing with... your reputation with them is paramount... and if the powers that be need something done and they believe you can do it.............. you may be ask to perform... with or without the qualifications required by the state.

I can find no FAA regulations related to prisoner transport. I did an extensive search but apparently I am looking or searching incorrectly. Anyone have links to FAA regs on this?

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Prisoner Transport
 Post Posted: Mon 25 Apr 2011 19:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Sorry Bill, I don't have any links but I do have experience on this subject. My most recent case (flying) involved a felon that had fled to Arapaho Nebraska from NC. I appreheded him in his front lawn and transported him in a rented vehicle to the airport. I called TSA and explained that I had a fugitive from NC and we would be boarding a plane to Chicaco for our layover and from there to NC. I gave my name, address, license number and assured them he would be cuffed and shackled. A TSA Agent met me and checked my identification as well as my documentation, including the warrant and a True Copy of the undertaking, better known as a yellow sheet in NC. He verified the fugitives ID and asked me to follow him. From there he asked us to sit in a room that was away from the passengers. Another agent came to me about half hour prior to our flight and we were searched and scanned and taken to the plane a few minutes before any other passengers boarded and placed on the back row. From there we landed in Chicago and was met by another Agent who again asked us to be seated in a room alone. Again, we went through the normal procedures with TSA and boarded the plane first and was sent to the back row. Finally we landed in NC and walked out of the Asheville Airport where I was met by another Bail Agent and drove to the Haywood County Jail where I surrendered him to the detention officers, had my paperwork signed and left. Uneventful indeed. It works for me, but not advising anyone else...Do your due diligence prior to boarding a plane with a fugitive.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 04:35 
in memoriam

Quote:
had my paperwork signed and left. Uneventful indeed. It works for me, but not advising anyone else...Do your due diligence prior to boarding a plane with a fugitive.

Excellent info and story... I think your statement above says it all. We hear so many stories about not being able to fly with fugitives and no cuffs or shackles... etc... if done properly, it can be done. thanks Bill.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 05:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
.....at one point in time.. the Airlines did allow you to have your prisoner "CUFFED" now after "9/11" the airlines will not even allow you to have your guy Handcuffed with Metal or Flex Plastic Cuffs - front or Rear cuffed, due to safety reasons. (ex: If the plane has an emergency landing, the prisoner who is also a passenger must be "free" to safe himself and put his own oxygen mask on and / or escape the plane in the event of a crash landing or emergency). If you were to transport a fugitive back they told us the person CAN NOT BE HANDCUFFED during the ENTIRE FLIGHT. Which airline allowed you to transport a person in custody in handcuffs?,.. so that we may use that airline also if the situation presents itself in the future to any one of us that might need to go this route... cause since 9/11 "we" (FL bondsman), have been driving across the country in Rented Vehicles to bring them back and not flying since every airline we have spoken with would not allow our guy to be handcuffed during the flight..
Thanks in advance..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 06:53 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

You are exactly RIGHT, Jeff... I was required to uncuff and unshackle him once we were on the plane. (reason for us boarding first) He had to sit in the window seat and me beside him. Once we landed had to cuff and shackle again. That was approx. one year ago. I still drive on some of my long distance cases but there are times I find it better to fly. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. Due Diligence!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 07:23 
in memoriam

Yes, well, I had posted this earlier last year or so but one of the members on here... guy out of California... Dave Tamo... brought a fugitive for my daughter, back from CA into Baltimore airport... I drove up there and back to the jail in VA... but Tamo did not seem to have any problems... I did not ask if he had him cuffed on the plane but when he came into the terminal the guy was in a wheel chair with his coat over his hands and he had on both cuffs and shackles... and the armed security was walking with Tamo and the guy... all I know is that he flew in from CA to Baltimore and he was in cuffs when he exited the terminal and no one question any of us. Of course we had all the proper paperwork. There is even a picture on my website of him smoking a cigarette in cuffs outside the terminal prior to getting in my van for transport.

As said... if it is done right, it is doable...

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 07:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It absolutely is "Do-Able" Bill

My subject came out with handcuff's also Bill...just not restrained on the plane.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 08:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Thanks for clarifying ..

I was told handcuffs off before boarding and departure and then back on after landing at the gate..

just wanted to see if a particular airline was letting you get away with restraints during the flight also..

Thanks again .. have a great day !

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2011 15:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
You can follow all FAA rules as well as individual airline rules and the pilot has the final say.

Try flying on Southwest with carnival seating! That is a story for Las Vegas!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 27 Apr 2011 04:46 
in memoriam

I have also been told that if the defendant says... "I don't want to fly...", you cannot make him get on the plane???? I do not know if that is true or not... but more info for your consideration.

I have been told that when I fly to Vegas for the FRNCON.... I may have to be restrained... I am not happy about that... but... as long as I can lift the glass... I suppose it is ok.... and if the stewardess is really nice... I will let her put handcuffs on me......... :mrgreen:

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion