This could be a problem............. • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: This could be a problem.............
 Post Posted: Wed 23 Mar 2011 09:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2087
Experience: More than 10 years
Concealed carry bill clears Montana Senate committee

HELENA - A measure to allow people in cities to carry a concealed
gun without a permit is moving through the Senate.

Republican Rep. Krayton Kerns' House Bill 271 cleared the Senate
Judiciary Committee Monday. The bill was amended to require
completion of a training course to carry without a permit.

Two of Kerns' other measures, allowing silencers when hunting and
concealed carry into prohibited places like bars and banks, were
stopped in the committee.

Kerns, a gun rights advocate, says the measures are important to
defend the right to bear arms and let people protect themselves in
public.

Many lawmakers support gun rights measures but Kerns' more
permissive proposals drew criticism from some Democrats who say
they may be endangering public safety and law enforcement.

I am an advocate of the right to bear arms, but if I
was working in Montana, I would be extremely worried about "who"
gets to carry without a permit.

J.G. Marshall
MARSHALL FUGITIVE SERVICE
Lic. # 2008-392

Its the Irish in my mind that keeps me sane,
and the Irish in my heart that keeps me strong.

Post subject: Re: This could be a problem.............
 Post Posted: Wed 23 Mar 2011 12:51 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Location: East Kern Bail Bonds-Ridgecrest, CA Kern County (760) 375-5706
FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Right now, it's the criminals. Maybe this would even the odds a bit. I never pulled a gun to make a withdrawal from a bank, had some family that did once, they got time. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think it's time the crooks start second guessing who's around them and just flat out assuming everyone around them is armed and ready to uphold the law and those who do. But training is the key...and a certificate of completion. LOL

(760) 375-5830 fax
"The world has changed! The strong no longer survive, but the smart. Victory goes to the one that combines his brains with his heart."

Post Posted: Wed 23 Mar 2011 14:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2087
It's not the regular citizens I am concerned about. I believe you have a right to bear arms and protect yourself, but I also believe that "some" fair control factor should be in place. Do you want to work in a state that is basically going back to the "western" days?

You think we have yahoos in this industry now, wait till ya see the cowboys start popping up in that state.

J.G. Marshall
MARSHALL FUGITIVE SERVICE
Lic. # 2008-392

Its the Irish in my mind that keeps me sane,
and the Irish in my heart that keeps me strong.

Post Posted: Wed 23 Mar 2011 17:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
It is an historical fact that when it is widely known that the citizens are armed in a particular jurisdiction, the crime rate drops drastically.
My conjecture is that criminals are basically lazy and cowards, therefore they seek easy prey. Armed citizens are not easy prey.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2011 08:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
I agree, criminals target easy prey, but I also agree that not all citizens should be able to carry, because amongst those are criminals.
There are some individuals that shouldn't even look at a gun.
I am for this bill but they should add, like JG said, a fair way of controlling who gets to carry.
I don't think they should make it over the top restrictive though, because then they go back to stopping the right to bear arms.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2011 14:24 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Location: East Kern Bail Bonds-Ridgecrest, CA Kern County (760) 375-5706
FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Dave, true that amongst the law abiding are criminals who would carry...but here's the thing....if they are found out to be unlawfully carrying, such as felonies, DV, "judged" mentally incompetent (not just your run o' the mill idiots, but a legal one), then they shouldn't be carrying. That makes them crooks. Take 'em to jail. If they are "Bank robber wanna-be's" "pre-rapists" who haven't robbed a bank yet or stalked a chick in the alley, but are thinking about it, then no crime has been committed, stay holstered and fit in with the rest of us who haven't committed a crime "yet." I say "yet" because at any given moment the opportunity and the desperation to commit a crime may arise with any one of us all, but the decision to commit makes the difference in being a citizen or a convict. No? So as long as you decide not to draw to OFFEND, then you should be allowed to carry to DEFEND. As the great flow artist, Rap Legend Jay Z stated: "I would do anything necessary for her, so don't let the necessary occur, YUP." LOL In other words don't "ack" like a crook, and you won't get dealt with accordingly. And what's a fair way of controlling it? California seems to think that it's way is fair. Cops only, judges, legislators? Who gets to decide who it's fair for? What type of criteria is used to determine that your wife or my daughter, or you or I for that matter can protect ourselves when needed? True, defective unfittness should be a determination based on societal norms, but all God fearing, taxpaying, employed sentient beings should be able to protect themselves until justification is produced otherwise. :wink:

(760) 375-5830 fax
"The world has changed! The strong no longer survive, but the smart. Victory goes to the one that combines his brains with his heart."

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2011 18:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
How many have been at the range to re-qualify and find yourself extremely leery of others in the class. The guy next to me last weekend sent live ammunition all over the floor and only hit the target half of the time.

You can be licensed to carry and still be unqualified and uncomfortable around weapons.

I know police officers that significantly fear re-qualification and personally scare the crap out of me, absent a weapon, great people!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2011 18:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Putting limitations based on who you are isn't fair.
When I say FAIR that's what it means, it shouldn't matter what profession you have in any given society ("Cops only, judges, legislators") as long as you are a law abiding citizen.
It doesn't matter what I say, or what anybody says, because obviously they are going to do what they want to do. They can put the most restrictive laws on guns available, even ban them all together, and the criminals are still going to have them.
Take here for instance. NYC laws are so backwards I don't even try to make sense of it anymore. One can get a permit to legally carry a firearm here but (if not a Police Officer or Peace Officer) still can't legally carry an ASP baton....so the use of force goes from OC to firearm that quick.
What Scott said is true.
"It is an historical fact that when it is widely known that the citizens are armed in a particular jurisdiction, the crime rate drops drastically." Scott
So why don't they take lessons from history? One will never know. :roll:

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2011 20:59 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2797
Montana is not the only State trying to pass this bill. Wyoming is trying to do the same thing. Granted, these take pride in their "old fashioned" western ways, I have had plenty of run ins with enough people that aren't criminals, "yet". I am not a big fan of passing this bill. Both states have counties that legally allow people to drink in vehicles outside of incorporated city limits as long as you are not the driver. Hell, you can still find a lot of drive-thru liquor stores. Let alone, these two states biggest crimes are drug related and domestic violence (Partner/Family Member Assault in MT). Last thing you need right now is allowing the quick access to a firearm.

Just my opinion...

http://www.sheridanmedia.com/news/sheri ... urder15435

http://www.sheridanmedia.com/news/shoot ... court15457

307-763-3134

"As Professional Bail Enforcement Agents, we secure the Risk of the Surety by lawfully protecting the interest of not only the safety and security of our Clients and their Surety Agencies, but their Indemnitors and Defendants as well."

Post Posted: Fri 25 Mar 2011 05:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I think you all have valid points. My opinion is for permits.

Virginia is an open carry state and also is a "shall issue" state for CCP... or CCW whatever you want to call it.

I believe as long as you take a certified class and qualify at the range, thus showing... in at least a small way... that you have a limited amount of responsibility in handling your firearm... you should be able to get the permit.

We don't allow people to drive without a license and I think guns should be regulated about the same.

Even given the true statement about everyone carrying and the crime rate going down... I still think there should be some manner of control. Not the NYC type or the DC type but maybe something like many states have... just light control with permits.

I am a life member of the NRA and advocate the 2nd. amendment but I still think we need some gun laws. The underlying problem with gun laws is that you will always have people on the fringe in both directions... moderation should be the norm, but it isn't and that is the problem... and also, there are so damn many gun laws on the books that it is just overwhelming as to what is and is not legal.

If the speed limit is 55.... putting up more signs that say "Speed Limit 55" is not gonna control speeding... everyone already knows the limit... the solution IMHO is enforcement of the existing laws, not the implementation of more laws.

But having said that, I believe there still should be some laws pertaining to concealed carry.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage