Another Gun! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Another Gun!
 Post Posted: Tue 11 Jan 2011 22:03 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Gun show in Richmond Sunday... I had been contemplating the purchase of a new gun (didn't really need one but you know how it is...).

I have a few guns that are just sitting in my safe and will very likely never get used or shot and have only a slight value as collectibles... so.... I decided to take a few of them to the show and see if I could do a little trading... I have no money and I knew that Tony, Scott and Marshall would not front me a dime, so I was forced to sell my belongings in order to acquire additional much needed weapons for protection and work.... :shock: 8)

I ended up with a nice new semi-auto and a little extra money in my pocket... which lasted all of 5 minutes after I entered my home... Gail confiscated my extra money and left me with barely enough for breakfast at Mildred's... and the only comment she made was............. "when are you going to sell something else?"

I welcome comments about this new addition... I will say that I looked very closely at Glocks, Colts, Sigs and several others that caught my eye... even considered a Ruger and a Taurus but the following is what I ended up with .... price, quality and dependability as well as "feel"... and besides... it just felt good in my hand.... and let's face it guys... if it feels good in your hand.... it is probably gonna be around a while.............. uh............. yeah.

Springfield XD Compact .45 caliber... 5" barrel (classified as compact because of the short grip) and it came with two mags... a short 10 and a bit longer 13.

Now you may think this is a bit too large to conceal but actually, it is not that difficult and it actually fits the same "Blackhawk" carbon fiber hard holster that I carry my XD subcompact .40 in... although the barrel actually sticks out the bottom a bit... but it still fits and does not actually present any larger a profile... you might have to wear a little longer coat however...

Image Image

I haven't fired it yet but will do so in the next couple of days... I am also contemplating the purchase of a 9mm since I am going to shoot a little "combat" shooting with my old Marine buddy... he has been after me for months to get involved in this... and I finally have decided to give it a go...

The same holster as my subcompact .40, which saved me about $45...

One other comment, I went for the longer barrel because I felt it would give me an edge and better sight radius... maybe improve me shooting at distance a bit... and also hold the barrel recoil down just slightly more... I have found that longer barrels tend to dampen felt recoil... extra weight and all that.... for you techies....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Another Gun!
 Post Posted: Tue 11 Jan 2011 22:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
And . . . with the longer barrel, once one runs out of ammo it tends to have a better grip to beat the shyt outta someone hammer style 8) I am all about duo uses.

BTW . . . sweet piece

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 11 Jan 2011 22:49 
in memoriam

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: it's late, I'm turnin' in........... nite all............... :shock:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 00:13 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Very nice gun there. i have shot a couple XDs.
Mike

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 06:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Nice Purchase .. I am going to need to get me this type of holster you have, I like them alot.. im still using my leather Galco Holster from 1988, and yes it is still holding up and the Brown Leather color is turning Black due to me wearing it for so many years off duty..lol

I also carry my Full Size - Sig Sauer 226 LEO Model the Police Dept gave me for off Duty.. if you know how to carry properly it can almost be invisible to the public eye..

Recently purchased the Sig Sauer P250 2SUM 9MM (Combo Set) 2 Guns for the Price of $750. One is Full Size with 17 Rnds.. and the Compact is 10 Rnds I believe (Still sitting in its box and never seen the light since the day I bought them).. the internal mechanics swap out so you can buy other internals to convert the weapon to .357 cal / 40 cal & 45 cal? (I believe).. Although I personally like to stick with 9mm models....this way all my ammo can be used for all my carry pieces.. although maybe down the road a .40 cal might be on my "Want List".

if I am going formal (wearing a Suit) for a High End Security Party for some Celebs or some event with Low Levels of Danger...I will just usually carry my 5 Shot .38 cal S&W Model 36 Chief ...its small and dependable..and is an oldie but a goodie..

Just to add some Safety Reminders and Tips....

It doesnt matter really how many rounds a gun holds.. you need to be proficient with the weapon you choose to carry (also a good secure holster wouldnt hurt). Practice is whats makes the marksman a good shooter. Weather it be 5 rounds or 20 rounds in a weapon .. if you cant hit your threatening target with the first two rounds & stop asses the situation and maybe have to fire one or two more rounds if the threat is still present to stop it.. then the other 14 ..15...16... rounds are not really going to help you.. most shootings happen within 15 - 20 feet, with less then 3 rounds fired.. so go to the range and practice at 20 Feet.. this should give you the skills you need to maybe one day save your life.. but hopefully that day will NEVER have to come .. cause once you pull that trigger, the bullets dont stop moving at what you just shot at and no turning back now .. your life will change forever at that moment .. and I tell you this from my past experiences... not only having to live with knowing you took someones life, or just wounding them.. the Criminal Charges that will come (Even if its a good shoot... the State Might Still put you in front of a Grand Jury, and ya better pray it is a "No True Bill".. and if the Criminal charges are dismissed or not filed... then the Civil Law Suit will come.. you can bet your lucky dollar on that ... cause now a days EVERYONE and their Mother Sues someone for something...

So...Go to the Range and Practice .. Practice .. Practice.. even if it is only every 6 months.. its a good thing to get into.. in this profession we are not dealing with Boy / Girl Scouts .. we are sometimes dealing with really bad people that have nothing to lose to stay out of jail .. so for your safety know how to Shoot and Hit the Target, anyone can shoot a gun ... but not everyone can hit what they are shooting at... now in real life there is no Stationary Paper Target .. its a real bad guy who might be moving and he may be shooting back at you..

(Wear Your Vest going out on Pick Up's) and Be Proficient with the Weapon you Choose to carry if in the event you need to use it you know you can .. !

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 06:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2087
Great wepon there Bill, I swear by my Springfield XDm .40.

Blue, very good point. Many persons own weapons just to own them, but if the shyt hit the fan they would be in pretty deep.

Practice like it is real. ALWAYS.

J.G. Marshall
MARSHALL FUGITIVE SERVICE
Lic. # 2008-392

Its the Irish in my mind that keeps me sane,
and the Irish in my heart that keeps me strong.

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 07:17 
in memoriam

This is why I post all this stuff on here... I know that the professionals on here will step up and provide really good info and advice... I am an old fat man country boy and have hunted and been around firearms all my life, even served a little in the MC but I have never fired a weapon in anger... I have been shot at but luckily I was not hit... but you guys... like Blue... who have experienced the threat and the results of answering that threat... know first hand and can tell us the real skinny on these subjects... whether we will listen is another thought... you all know I post a lot of BS on here but this type of info is invaluable... and maybe my ramblings will get a few facts and advise out here that will prove valuable to the rank and file.

great advice Blue and Marshall... most anything you and Scott and Tony and a few others say on here... I take to heart... unless Tony is talking about bar hopping in "Gay Bay"... and then............. well... I pass on that one............ :oops:

BTW, Blue... that holster is really nice... it was, I think... about $45 or so... and it fits most all of the XD models... the picture on the bottom left... next to the SP101... is my subcompact .40 in the same holster that the XD .45 is in... Blackhawk makes it and I recommend it... it is a carbon fiber technology and holds the weapon very securely and it has a little 'tit' that sticks out and holds the holster from being yanked out, keeps it sort of locked in your belt, I carry just slightly to the rear of my right side with the pancake inside my pants (don't get smart... everyone should keep a pancake in their pants... :lol: )... sorry... and belt and it is very secure... and I also have a SW 36... a great wheel gun... my wife loves it...

thanks again for your input.

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 09:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

When I take you bar hopping in San Fran, all you'll need is your "purse" to protect you. Just load it up with quarters, it'll make a mean hammer.

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 09:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Bill, I honestly agree BlackHawk definitely makes a great holster.. I have the Leg Rig - BlackHawk for my Sig 226 and love it !.. Guess My Sig 226 will be getting a new BlackHawk holster soon and my SIG 250 too (Hope they both fit into the same like yours, so I dont need to get 2). I will hit the Police Supply Store here soon .. maybe my 2011 BlackHawk Catalog will get here already, its been one month since I requested one..

Youre welcome for my info Bill.. although even with over 20 years of Law Enforcement Experience I still learn new things everyday ... if I can inform people of Using Safety in their daily lives... and the repercussions of making bad decisions .. hopefully it will save someone alot of headaches in their future..or they may need one of us for Bail ... :?

One example.. I had a shooting in the Mid 90's (Off Duty as a PO) was at a Bar
(Bar = Worse Place to Be when Involved with a Shooting - why so many carry laws DO NOT ALLOW CARRYING IN BARS) (Alcohol and Carrying Guns = Distort Your Judgment and make bad decisions)

Anyways here is one of my Shooting Stories..

I Worked a 10 x 6 pm tour.... was (RDO - Regular Day Off) off the next day (Thursday) ..so I went to my Local Bar that Wednesday Night like I normally do when I have off the next day.. got to the bar around Midnight (Yes I was armed with my Sig 226 Dept Issued Weapon with 16 rounds of 9mm 115 grain JHP, My Shield was on a chain around my neck that evening tucked in a sweatshirt from Temple Univ that my Cousin went too and a Blue Baseball Cap, Gun was tucked inside my jeans with No Holster) .. I had approx 2 1/2 beers the entire evening while at this bar..
Anyways.. the Entire Staff and Owner know I am a Cop as I patrolled that area the bar was located in since 1989.. I am sitting at the bar.. talking to a female :mrgreen: .. this bar was a College Bar with College Students ..I was 28 years old at the time of this incident and the Police Rules on carrying off duty at that time was "My Choice to Carry 24/7 anywhere I wanted within my Jurisdiction.. and this was "OK" for Bars too at that time..although the job recommended you dont carry in bars, but it was allowed" so there I am talking with a female in the hopes of "hooking up" and its is pouring rain outside like Mother Nature was dropping an Ocean over us.. I had to get up early that next morning to have "LoJack" installed on my vehicle cause I missed the appointment already two times.. so I was not drinking hard as I needed to get up early the next day to get this done on my vehicle... anyways.. There is a Bouncer at the Front Door checking ID's and several more inside at various locations.. its about 3:30am and "LAST CALL" was Sounded by the DJ.. at this point the Front Door is EXIT ONLY .. Nobody is allowed back in for No Reason.. (Bars Close at 4am in NYC.) A kid that was inside the bar earlier left and tried to get back in and told the Door guy his Friends were inside .. The Door Guy told this kid his friends will be out shortly as the Bar is Closing.. (It is still raining like cats and dogs) ... the Door Guy just then realizes that this Kid annoying him to try and get back in was the same Kid that Cut his Younger Brother's Ear in High School with a Knife when they were in a Fight.. this Kid at the Door was arrested for the Knife and Assault but the charges eventually were dropped by the District Attorneys Office... The Door Guy whistles for his Brother that was cut by this kid and points him out .. Both the Door Guy and his brother go after this Kid and started to beat this kid nearly to death outside the Bar...his friends start to come outside.. one of this kid's friends who was with him yells to the bouncer and his brother "If you dont get off my boy I am getting a Gun and Shooting you !" .... now with this being uttered.. one of the other Bouncers comes back inside the bar and tells me of the comment this kid made.. now being in Clubs and Bars.. the hot heads that Hoot and Holler all the trivial Threats are not the likely ones to come back for a 2nd round of trouble.. its the ones that walk away quietly that always worried me... anyways .. being a LEO .. I stopped talking to this female, told her I would be right back and dont go anywhere..as I exited the Bar .. I told a Bouncer DO NOT let anyone else leave the bar until I say so.. I go outside standing along side the small bar awning .. look left see nothing .. look right see the Door guy and His brother Beating someone up .. they are both on top of this kid who is lying on the ground about 3 store fronts down to my right as I exited the bar.. all of a sudden this dark two door sedan skreeeches up to a stop and parks at an angle in the middle of the street blocking an entire lane of traffic.. exits the car walks behind his vehicle and what I saw next made me Crap in My Pants.. I saw what so clearly looked like a (GUN) Revolver in his right hand..he had it by his side pointing down and walked over to where his friend was being beaten.. Took the Gun and Pointed it at the Door Guy and his Brother's head.. who exactly I dont know had the gun pointed towards him but it didnt matter.. this kid had a gun ! I take my shield out from around my neck to display it .. removed my 9mm from my waistband.. and Yell " POLICE ! DROP THE GUN !! " what this kid next lives with me everyday I wake up (even to this day... yes I am not exaggerating) He turns to his right (towards my voice) Starts to Lift and Point his Gun at Me ! and yells to me " I WILL SHOOT YOU TOO ..YOU F**KIN COP!!" without one more millionth of a second I decided to fire my weapon... I fired one round at him...he fell back into the gutter near his car.. he was laying flat on his back ..arms extended out like a "cross" and his Gun was still in his right hand as I ran up on him and still having my gun pointed at him cause I did not know if the threat of death to my life was over yet...as I approached him .. he did a sit up like someone was holding his ankles down and started to point the gun at me again for the second time..!! and this time yelled out to me " NOW YOU WILL DIE COP! " I immediately fired a second round Point Blank range into his chest.. the subject fell back onto his back again.. I then stepped on his right wrist and removed what appeared to be a .357 Revolver out of his right hand with my left (non gun hand) still covering this subject with my gun... as I stepped on this kids wrist with Blood coming out of his ear and right eye and water from the rain in the street washing over his body and face like a river and two holes in this kids chest.. he uttered " PLEASE DONT KILL ME ITS A FAKE GUN ! HELP ME ! " As he said that to me and I touched his gun with my hand, I automatically realized it was a BB GUN ! (Crossman BB gun - Model 357 Caliber with plastic wood grain grips - A Replica!! which at the time was not even loaded!) I said to the kid I had just shot " You Stupid MO...R - F..KER! ..at this time something told me to look towards where the fight started originally... I now see a person running at me full speed ! I am like Oh My God !? WTF is This Now??.. the male continues to run at me as I yell "POLICE STOP!" as he gets within arms length of me... I Crack This Guy So Hard across his face with my Gun he falls back and runs away.. it turned out later this guy was one of the friends of the kid I had just shot and the one also being beaten up... I Yelled at the Bouncer to call 911 - Officer involved shooting .. Need BackUp 10-13! Subject is Shot and Down and Officer has subject at Gunpoint and needs EMS (Ambulance) forthwith... I waited what felt like 2 hours for the 1st Police Unit to arrive.. it actually took 4 minutes or less for the Calvary to arrive.. Backup units came and so did EMS.. they took the kid I shot to the Hospital which was like 3 or 4 minutes away..where he later died 30 minutes later from the 2 bullet wounds he sustained. The kid that was beat up by the Door guy and His Brother went to the same hospital and was in ICU for a long time.. the District Attorney later filed charges on the two brothers that beat that kid up and they later plead out to I believe probation & with no jail time ? .. as for me .. I was brought to a Different Hospital for Trauma / Shock .. a Standard Procedure for an Officer Involved Shoot.. I have 48 hours to not talk to any Police Officials at the Scene until I consult with my PBA Union Reps. and Attorney, etc.. the rest is just Police BLAH BLAH BLAH Stuff.. I wont bore ya with .. during that time, the Police Dept Shooting Review Board evaluated my shooting and determined it was a Good Shoot .. I was placed on Desk Duty during the shooting investigation for approx 6 months.. I also went in front of the Grand Jury for Murder Charges during that desk time.. (Standard in any Police Shooting) and although I knew in my Heart I was right in my actions and also the Police Dept Clearing me.. I felt like I may go to Jail if this grand jury finds me indictable ? .. I was scared to death again, this time without a gun pointing at me but instead with these Jurors Looking at me and not a gun barrel.. well after my Testimony and everything in the Grand Jury, which went awesome after I was finished by the way .. the Jury Deliberated.. only 20 minutes and ruled "NO TRUE BILL" that was the best thing I could of ever heard in my life.. ! The Criminal Part was Over - Thank God!.. a year later when things were all nice again...here came a $30 Million Dollar Lawsuit for wrongful death, against the Police Dept and Me..and the City Hospital and the Bar.....The newspapers wrote "Why was a cop in a bar drinking and carrying a gun ..? .. he was drunk ... he was working at the bar...so many stories of me being at Fault... But it was OK for this Kid running around drunk & underage with Fake ID and carrying a gun (BB GUN) in his car with 2 pounds of weed inside.. etc etc etc.. I made the Newspapers (Few of them well known) and also the local front page newspaper every week for 5 months.. and when I was cleared in the Grand Jury and the Dept cleared me and restored me back to Full Duty ..there was one tiny newspaper article on about page 49 about 1 inch by 1 inch.. 4 sentences long.. The kid I killed had worse repercussions for me later .. it turned out we both had mutual friends in common.. and that didnt sit too well with them about my actions.. I had Death Threats .. Fake Bombs planted under my car .. graffiti on my garage door 'DIE PIG" .. everywhere I went locally I bumped into either someone that knew me and knew the kid I killed and was threatened every time I saw them....it was a bad situation.. I had to carry a dept. radio everywhere I went .. carry my gun EVERYWHERE.. cause it turned out this Innocent Child who was going to College and a Church Goer.. yada yada yada .. was in a Local Street Gang of about 200 members.. just lovely I thought .. the newspapers never once mentioned that the Kid I shot was only 20 years old with a Forged NYS Driver's License and was Intoxicated with a BAC over .20% and they found 2 pounds of Marijuana in his mother's car he was driving.. and empty CO2 cartridges and pellets all over the floor of the car..

The bottom line is .. if confronted with a Life & Death situation .. You are the One that needs to go home.. worry about the legal stuff later.. just if you do decide you do need to take Deadly Force upon someone .. MAKE SURE YOURE 100% IN THE RIGHT !!! ... BEFORE YOU PULL THAT TRIGGER !!!! Thats why I now carry my X-26 Taser.. Non-Lethal Weapons are the way to go now a days in my honest opinion.... yes I do carry my 9mm / Shotgun / AR 15 Rifle (Sometimes), on Pick Up's if the need for force escalates to that point, but I pray it never will, but I wont think twice if I need to protect myself for one second..

Hope this was a good read for you and made you see what kind of things can pop up when you dont even expect them too.. all I wanted to do that night for was have a couple of beers to unwind from the job's daily bullcrap and hook up with that girl I was talking too.. (By the way .. I never got that girls # and after the shooting I totally forgot her name and never saw her again :cry: )

Be Safe out there.. !

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Wed 12 Jan 2011 10:52 
in memoriam

Blue, that was an excellent story... and I think will open a few eyes... it got my attention... thanks again.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion