California ~ Could get Scary • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: California ~ Could get Scary
 Post Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2010 19:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
If only the mortgage lenders of the last decade would have followed this philosophy our economy wouldn't be so messed up ~ UNLVRebel

Just another tidbit from California . . . that was in my InBox today . . .

There were those that tried to get Congress to listen . .. but NOOOOOO, Pelosi and Gay Barney knew what was "Best for America" I am thinking that UNIONS and those that cater to them are also very very responsible . . . and Barry PROMISED that he would do everything they wanted :shock:

So who is going to help them now when they are being beseiged in the street . . . will the Liberals / Progressives change their way of thinking? OR . . . will they just keep on blaming those that tried to stop the craziness?

Quote:
. Oakland Police: No Money to Respond to Crime
The city of Oakland, Calif., has laid off over 10 percent of its police force after failing to negotiate a settlement with the police union — whose members earn an average compensation of $162,000 a year.
“What’s going on in Oakland is an example of a phenomenon being seen across the country: states and cities choosing between providing services to the public or maintaining luxury compensation for public employees,” Josh Barro, the Walter B. Wriston Fellow at the Manhattan Institute, writes for the Real Clear Markets website.
“More often than not, public employee unions have been winning this fight.
As the result of the loss of 80 police officers, Oakland’s police chief says cops will no longer respond to 44 categories of crimes, including grand theft.
“At current levels of compensation, Oakland cannot afford to maintain a police department with 776 employees,” Barro observes. “That’s because total compensation for an OPD employee averages an astounding $162,000 per year. But at a more reasonable level of pay and benefits, Oakland could afford to maintain its force, or even grow it.”
OPD officers finishing training receive a starting salary of up to $90,459, before overtime, plus a health plan worth $15,859 last year — compared to California’s private sector mean of about $9,100 — and a pension contribution equal to 9 percent of their salary and overtime pay.
The generous wage and benefit package was negotiated with the police union two years ago. When layoffs were threatened, the union agreed that officers would begin making contributions to their retirement benefits if the city agreed that there would be no layoffs for three years. The city offered only a one-year pledge, and the union declined the offer.
So police staffing “will be cut in one of California’s most crime-ridden cities,” Barro notes.
“The trouble is that localities have been boxed in by unwise contracts and rigid labor laws,” and no city should have to “say it can’t afford a large enough police force because it has to pay each officer $162,000 per year.”

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject: Re: California ~ Could get Scary
 Post Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2010 19:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

No cops getting laid off here. Of course they do not get paid the BIG BUCKS . . . but they do come when called . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2010 20:29 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Vallejo, just north east of me and Oakland, laid off a couple dozen cops earlier this year. The city filed for bankruptcy last year.

San Fran is on the verge but, because so many people think it is still a great vacation destination, the tourists are keeping it a float for now.

San Jose laid off several dozen fire fighters and close a couple of fire stations.

The problem is, when the cash is flowing in, the government folks spend it as fast or faster than it comes in. No plans for saving or emergencies.

Once the flow is cut, the cities and counties are caught with huge payrolls that they can't pay.

Its not just the govenment it is private companies too.

I needed a phone line repaired and when I talked with the tech, he stated that ATT or SBC, does not pay OT for their service techs anymore. So if it takes 3 or 4 days before you can get a line back up, oh well.

Post Posted: Sun 08 Aug 2010 20:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well DAYUM! Hope no one has to call 91 or it may be akin to standing on the front porch and yelling . . . Hey POLICE!

All kidding aside I was serious when I posed the question . . . who is going to be blamed? Will those responsible take responsibility ? or will they point that ever loving finger ?

Post Posted: Mon 09 Aug 2010 10:53 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
The problem is, when most of these contracts are approved, they last for 3 or 4 years. By then many of the city council members or the mayors are gone from office. So its hard to blame someone that is not around anymore. (Unless it was G W Bush.)

On the other hand, until 3 years ago, CA and most other states were still rolling in enough cash to justify paying these large salaries. So, they didn't think that the "party" was going to end this soon.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage