Bounty Hunter Shot With Own Gun..... • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bounty Hunter Shot With Own Gun.....
 Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 07:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
Wichita, Kansas - It was supposed to be a routine roundup last week in east Wichita. Gary, the bounty hunter, found his man at a local gas station. But instead of catching the suspect, Gary was shot by his own weapon.

"I'm thinking I may have to use deadly force to keep from being run over by the van," explains Gary, who has been going after fugitives for about 20 years. "His buddy driving the van was ready to run me over."

Gary, who is also a private detective, kept his weapon trained on the van.

"I went to the side window still at gunpoint and broke the window out," says Gary. "He jumped into the back of the van and I couldn't see him. I just held my gun on the slider door of the van and it opened and he was quite clear then he was unarmed. He extended his hands way out in front of him."

But the suspect did not give up. He ran. Gary ran.

"I was trying to holster my gun and get out my Taser," says Gary. "Big mistake. The gun fired and hit me in the leg."

The suspect got away and an ambulance was called.

"I lost a lot of blood," he said. "I'm lucky. When they got me in the ambulance I started to black out."

His leg is now healing and Gary says he's not giving up on finding the bad guy.

Gary says that bad guy is Princeton Jackson. Jackson, says Gary, is a known gang member and one of Wichita's top 20 fugitives wanted for warrant violations.

"At the end of the day, we'll find him," says Gary. "Will I give this up? Of course not. I guess there is a sense of -- it's gratifying to know that you got 'em back to justice. I will continue."

Wichita Police sources say Jackson is wanted for multiple alleged crimes.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter Shot With Own Gun.....
 Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 09:29 

It’s definitely not good thing to shoot yourself, sound like he may have had a sympathetic reflex. I think that I may have considered retreating and calling the police, instead of forcing a deadly force situation. I have learned a turd will always stay a turd, therefore you will always get another chance to flush it. This is just my opinion he may have done everything right. Can’t wait to hear what some of the professional have to say on this one.

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 10:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
The I give up arms extend is a old trick a Twenty year veteran should have anticipated this. But the thing i see is he tried to rearrest by himself also why was he going for his Tazer, was he going to hit skip in the back during the foot chase. It is easy to say what you would do in a street situation sitting at the office or at home This is a prime example of the need to continuous training to train your mind to react. I am sorry that the man was injured. Thanks to modern chemistry my rule at my place of business is never go alone, NEVER The one thing that was good is he determined the use of his sidearm was not needed.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 10:30 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Well I was going to say something in the effect, but I thought I would not make any enemies on this YET. I would not go anywhere by myself without having someone beside me to watch my back. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I feel. Even if it was a police officer behind me (as long as he wasn't aiming at my backside) Joke.

Sorry he was injured as well. Hope he is back up and running soon.

NSIN TD1009
Cell: 816-255-8230
Home/Office: 660-834-4569

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 12:21 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
my training has always taught me to keep your fingure off the trigger until prepared to shoot.I understand that it may have slipped while he was reholstering but thats were extended and continued training comes in.
Of course NEVER go alone you may save a little money by not having to pay that extra person but you have to ask yourself if its worth not having someone watching your six.In my opinion its ALWAYS worth having someone there as long as they are trained to be there and can be trusted in a stressful situation.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 12:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I have always been of the mindset that this industry shouldn't work alone (although this is just an opinion) because you never know what may come up during (the fact finding/interview portion of) an investigation. Lets say you are only going to talk to the "ex" because you know she will give up info (after all, she is an ex). When you get there, ALONE, your guy runs out the back. Oh sure, some can say "There will be another day" and that is true but you could have picked them up on that day had you had a partner with you. I feel that the money lost in the split is superceded by the danger and loss of working Alone. another thing to consider is the fact that you can not watch the windows, doors, and yard on all sides of a building while alone. Maybe someone doesn't run but they may look out an upstairs, rear window while you talk to the "ex" at the front door. Many of the vets have answers for and ways around these issues but I have not figured them out yet and no one is offering that info for free (which is all I can afford)

All that said, the group I am partnering up with believe in working alone up until backup is needed. You can call anyone in for the takedown but the majority of the case you will work alone. Do I agree with this......(I answered above) but what I do like is that the "lead" says "If your uncomfortable or unable working alone, just let someone know. Someone can be sent to assist or the case can be rotated to someone else. We can handle the issues we know about. I see nothing wrong with passing up on the apprehension if it feels that you or someone else will be placed in danger.(Using one of my sayings he said) Our job is to get everyone where they belong, safely." I am, atleast, comfortable knowing we already have "permission" to pull out, if we feel the need (so we are on the same page there)

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 13:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Never trade a life for a life.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 09 Jun 2010 19:02 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Sno' and I were able to de-escalate a guy the other day without any incident whatsoever, no weapons, no threats, no badges, not even cuffs. He just cried and thanked us for being willing to put in a good word for him. This guy had VIOLENT history. Now we were lucky, and also prepared in case the BS-meter went sky high, but, there are a lot of things that can be done without having to draw down.

With this case? I honestly would say a "Serpa" holster would've made life easier from the gear standpoint. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a holster that as soon as you insert it a lock engages into the trigger guard. Instead of fumbling for the thumb-break, you just re-insert the weapon and it stays put. A lot of things happen out there, and the last thing you need on your mind is this: "is my weapon secured?".

I'm glad this guy wasn't too badly hurt and can go back out and hunt. Sh*t happens on the job, even to the veteran hunters. Lesson learned.

By the way, going back to my story, I credit that to dealing with teenagers while in military school, teachings from Sno' and our lead agent Rick, and my 3000 level Eng. classes at North Georgia College...and of course, GOD.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage