Bondsman Courtroom Procedures. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Bondsman Courtroom Procedures.
 Post Posted: Fri 28 May 2010 21:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill is correct . . . on all matters at hand
Also, If you have the subject in custody . . . take them directly to the Jail, get your signed surrender and be done with the matter.
If you are in the Courtroom and you all of a sudden decide that you no longer want to be on the Bond, I hope that you have a good relationship with the Prosecutor. Good relationships, built over time, go a long ways in a Courtroom ;-)
Make sure and check you atttude at the door . . . 8)

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sat 29 May 2010 20:01 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I was going to say something similar about J24Bail,although helpful in some ways your post do tend to drag on.Maybe posting the site were you copy and paste from would be just as easy.Still helpful but also gives people searching for that information the tool to do so without doing it for them.Everyone of us are or should be capable of doing their own research and should do so regardless of the info posted here.Laws change on a regular basis and anyone of the more knowledgable people on this forum will tell you the same thing.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Sat 29 May 2010 20:10 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
In GA code section we can surrender them in open court...for example, if you know your defendant is going to either his case you have him on bond for or for another case in the county he is out on bond with we can request for the judge to release us from the bond and have him taken into custody. Most of the time they do it without asking a lot of questions, for those who do ask they just want to know the reason for the revocation. One time the COS was with us (she showed up by chance at hearing).

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Sat 29 May 2010 20:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2716
We can surrender in open court in Missouri, too, as long as it's done in the court of jurisdiction. Even then, depending on the court in question (they all do it differently), I may still get a body receipt signed by a jailer after the defendent is taken into custody and file it in the court of jurisdiction along with a certified copy of the bond just to cover my azz. Otherwise, we obtain our certified copy of the bond, pick up the defendent off the street and return them directly to jail where we, again, get a body receipt signed by a jailer which is filed with the court as previously noted.

I'm sure that's clear as mud the way I just explained it... :shock: :mrgreen:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Post Posted: Sun 30 May 2010 05:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Bill, I agree with your words (although we do not seem to have as much trouble with court surrenders, here, it seems) but I do want to point out one detail. You state "you say you are a newbie" however, J24Bail has claimed 7 - 10 years of experience. Lastly, I am sad to say that I have written term papers that were shorter and have less detail than Jay's posts. Even my Psycology and Sociology final's had less. I found early in my career that often More is Less; Less is More. An easy way to irritate those you work with (or associate with or are turning in to) is to write a long drawn out report. I was often asked to rewrite them "in the space provided" (those 4 - 5 lines on the documentation) and get rid of the extra, added sheets of paper.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sun 30 May 2010 07:04 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I re-read your question and wanted to just clear something up.... that if your defendant is in court on HIS CASE OR ANY OTHER CASE and you want off the bond... just as long as the defendant steps into that courtroom and the bailiff can see and serve him....

I think you were asking if "you brought the defendant to court rather than him just appearing on his case or for whatever reason..." but if you went and picked him up... take him to the jail and not the courtroom.

I repeat.... have a signed bail piece, give it to the bailiff of the court and when the defendant steps up to the bench the bailiff will serve him, he is under arrest and your bond is done... you do not need to even be there except to make sure that the paper was served... the judge is not even involved here.... except to be an observer to the proceedings. I hope this is clear... and as to the prosecutor on the case... he will probably be happy that the defendant, whom he is after anyway... is back in custody... this is usually the case with my Commonwealth Attorney... I cannot recall a case where the CA was not happy that the defendant was re-arrested...

This is in Virginia and I cannot attest to procedures elsewhere, although I would imagine they would be quite similar.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 30 May 2010 07:38 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
I just here recently revoke a bond for $5000 because he was moving around to much, and not informing me of his moves. The co-signers was getting alittle worried, he never showed up for his court date on another charge and he was bragging about it. So the co-signers wanted to be released from this situation. I picked up my certified bond copy and went and got him placed him back into the care of the law. Two days later he had attorney ask for a ROR and the judge granted it. So it went from bond surrender to a ROR.

When I asked the other bondsman if he showed up, he replied the court told me he did. But the client said he never showed up for court, he was affraid to go. So nobody knows what the court system will do. This was two different countys.

NSIN TD1009
Cell: 816-255-8230
Home/Office: 660-834-4569

Post Posted: Sun 30 May 2010 12:29 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
"you brought the defendant to court rather than him just appearing on his case or for whatever reason..." but if you went and picked him up... take him to the jail and not the courtroom.

DITTO!

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 31 May 2010 06:53 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2716
"So nobody knows what the court system will do."

Amen, sister!

You'd be hard pressed to find any two courts here that do anything the same way, and any one court that does anything the same way twice!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Post Posted: Mon 31 May 2010 10:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
As with most states, each county in CA will handle a surrender differently dependng on the knowledge of the deputies at the court house.

In my home county, they will not take an incustody surrender. We would either have to wait until they appear in court on the under lying case and make oral motions to surrender or actually return them to jail.

Oh, if you do plan a surrender in court, let the bailiff and judge know ahead of time. They don't like suprises.

Now in a neighboring county, I was able to surrender a female in my custody directly to the marshal's service at the court. We called ahead and let them know exactly what time we would be there. The deputy took off my cuffs and place his on her.

That afternoon she was in the arraignment court where the judge released her on O.R. Needless to say she FTA'ed on her second court appearance.

When we surrender, we must have a good cause to do so. Also we must attempt to notifiy the defense attorney before hand or as soon as possible afterwards.

It all boils down to knowing what is required or practiced in each county or court you work with. Getting to know the bailiffs and a few judges would not hurt either.

As Bill stated earlier, use proper court decourum and your job will be much easier.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion