Badges and Demarcation - What does your state allow • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Badges and Demarcation - What does your state allow
 Post Posted: Mon 22 Mar 2010 14:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
From the State Statutes where you intend to operate, print a copy from the State maintained website for proof, interpretation, legal defense with the date printed. This information changes constantly and can be done by a law change or a rule change.

Scott

The BEST ADVICE . . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 24 Mar 2010 05:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
"Badges !!!, we don't need no stinking badges" :lol: :lol: :lol:

All jokes aside I agree with Scott know the laws of where you work. :idea:

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 18 May 2010 12:45 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
In GA one must use the term Bail Recovery Agent. To use a state seal permission must come from the Sec. of State. After filing the apro. form and fee.

Post Posted: Tue 18 May 2010 15:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
The way I read it is that no state, federal, or government seal is legal for use in Georgia but Bail Recovery Agent is the only term permited. After all these years, I have never seen it change.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 18 May 2010 15:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
SnoWolf wrote:
The way I read it is that no state, federal, or government seal is legal for use in Georgia but Bail Recovery Agent is the only term permited. After all these years, I have never seen it change.

17-6-58 Sets forth the penalties for violation of the above section, both for bail recovery agents individually, and for bond companies who employ them.
Further more, subsection (c) establishes that no bail recovery agent shall wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, card, or other item with any printing, insignia, or emblem that purports to indicate that such bail recovery agent is an employee, officer, or agent of any state or federal government or any political subdivision of any state or federal government. A violation of this subsection shall be punished upon conviction as a felony punishable by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both.

Although a separate section does state:

50-3-31 In addition to official documents which require that the great seal be affixed, the Governor may authorize the use and display of the great seal or a facsimile of the state emblem under such conditions as he may impose when there shall be demonstrated to his satisfaction that the intended use or display thereof is appropriate and legitimate and is not contrary to the state's interest in preserving the sanctity and dignity of the state seal and emblem and that the use or display will not otherwise violate Code Section 50-3-8 or 50-3-9.

So, I guess it would depend on a persons feeling on taking the chance with a person “in the know”. The chance of ending up in front of a judge that sees things from my point of view is less than the chance of me running into the LE that wants to charge me with breaking code 17-6-58. Personally, I do not use a state seal in an attempt to avoid a liable case. But that is my opinion and option.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 18 May 2010 22:06 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
In Soviet Russia, badge wears you!

I know that in some states agents can have a state seal. Sno's right about GA. Unless you are LE you can't have a state seal. I can't say for other states, but appropriate documentation should be good-to-go. Personally I wouldn't risk using a state seal...

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Thu 20 May 2010 20:12 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: None
I really find it interesting that in these stereo typed conservative states they have so much law regulating badges and rights of Bail Recovery.

In Washington state, most agree a flaming liberal sespool, we have extremely lax gun laws, open carry in most cities and establishments and we allow badges. Wel one DOL approved badge, and Bail Recovery Agent patches are required when making a forced entry.

Post Posted: Thu 20 May 2010 20:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Indiana law on badges are left to the Agent to decide as with what they call themselves. When i am in on a recovery my Raid Vest only says Bail Investigator.

Now that i dont do many recoveries i just put on some old long johns with a back hatch that says walk don't run :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Sun 18 Dec 2011 21:10 

yes you can wear a badge in utah as long as you wear a shirt that states if you are bail enforcement or bail recovery and the badge is very specific as to what it must state and how it should look http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/bail.html that link it to the dps web site it shows the badges and what is required to wear 1

Post Posted: Sun 25 Dec 2011 21:33 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: < 3 years
Nebraska is pretty liberal with the Identification of Sureties and FRA/BEA's.

IF the company is registered with the Secretary of State as a licensed company (LLC) in good standing, It is permissible to use the State Emblem in the badge, HOWEVER the wording must NOT claim, imply or suggest that the individual with the badge is an Agent of the State.

We are changing our badge design to accommodate our companies LLC status and incorporating a new center shield device.

SERVING NEBRASKA AND THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES

THEY HIDE, WE SEEK, WE FIND

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion