How do you represent yourself? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: How do you represent yourself?
 Post Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 00:26 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Just a side note for BEA's in VA. I was in class today taking shotgun & talking to a BEA who has been working for less than a year. His jacket unzipped in the back, and a flap came down that said "AGENT", and in the front said BEA. I asked if he had gotten that approved because the regulations appeared to have changed, and my instructor looked at me funny and informed me that he (My instructor) didn't like the word stating only "AGENT" because it can be confusing but that it did not require approval for his uniform and his badge (He keeps it hidden under his shirt) states "Fugitive Recovery Officer" and I said, the website changed last week - I downloaded the regulations last month as I was studying and I am also taking the PI course, and one of the additions was part B.

6VAC20-260-270. Uniforms and identification; standards and restrictions.
A. A bail enforcement agent shall not wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, or other insignia or emblem that implies he is an agent of state, local, or federal government. (This was originally the only wording on the website - no brainer)
B. A bail enforcement agent shall wear or display only identification issued by, or whose design has been approved by, the department (Department in VA means DCJS). Statutory Authority §§ 9.1-102 and 9.1-186.2 of the Code of Virginia. - this is new on their website, might have been on the books the whole time.

This was not on the website when I first started the class last month for BEA, but I wanted to make sure of the wording and asked my instructor who then looked on the web because I don't think he believed me while I showed him my downloaded copy from when I first took the class, it was not there last month and my instructor told me he would look into this & let me know tomorrow. I liked the jacket because it was very simple, casual, and only showed the wording when unzipped - this also was long enough to conceal his OC & Baton. He looked just like a regular person you would see anywhere. But I am not going to order one until I know what is legal to state on it. I can see DCJS point of view, it's easy to confuse BEA with DEA or AGENT for an LE Officer. To qoute 2 senior posters "badges, we don't need no stinkin badges"..

Everyone should check the laws in their state and any state they plan to travel in, that's the best lesson I have learned from this board. They do change from time to time.

VA DCJS #99-99238446

Post Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 06:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
I would have an issue with "Officer" on his badge under any capacity and as such, would not work for me.

In response to Nate's original question:

I announce myself as Bail Bondsman, Bail Agent or Scott MacLean, and it has always worked. In apartment buildings, I speak through the door and ask them to at least open it so that we can communicate privately and to keep the neighbors from knowing their business, works 95% of the time. If they don't open the door, and it is a reasonable hour, not 4 am, then it is because your skip is probably there.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 06:21 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
rab2344- Richard,

You come across as someone that is really trying to do the right things to get into this business and for that you should be commended.

I am not a BEA... only a bondsman but as such I have a light jacket that I wear occasionally when making court appearances... it has my name and my title as a "Bail Bondsman" on the front breast area in letters that comply with DCJS rules.. I think 3"X5"... something like that.... on the back, however, it has a very large neatly embroidered "BAIL BONDS" in the upper portion of the back so that when I sit on the second row (the first is usually for attorneys) everyone behind me knows exactly what I am doing. I get a lot of inquiries when leaving the courtroom without ever opening my mouth.... I have never had this jacket questioned but I do think it is against policy as to the size and you are not supposed to solicit inside a courtroom or courthouse in VA... I always however, have a clip on plastic covered DCJS picture ID attached to the front of my jacket or shirt and that is legal according to the code. Now I will say that I am fairly well known in the jurisdictions that I normally work and I probably would not enter a strange courtroom with that attire... prudence is applicable here.

One other thing I may mention related to the back and forth posts as to 'who said, what was said'... all that stuff.... just remember that the written word, especially in the forms that we apply here and on other web posting sites... is governed by one word.... "inflection". What you say and what you mean is not always the same and may be interpreted in a different manner by another reader... so don't get upset if your words are misinterpreted... are you thoroughly confused... I know I am...............

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 15:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
All I can say is that I follow what these others have stated....probably because everything I know about Recovery work was learned from them (in one way or another) or in the field and then critiqued by them. Badges-I have one that seldom got used. Attire-Whatever I slapped on that morning (typically Cargo Pants and a collarless, three botton shirt; because that is what I wear ANYTIME). Announcing myself- Exactly the same as Mr Maclean. Automobiles-Usually a Yellow Xterra but possibly one of my other sportier cars if I feel safe not having as much safety equipment. Plus I always checked in, in person, and called dispatch but only after checking the status of the warrant. When dealing with LE, I give them the upmost respect and enjoy working with them instead of being in thier next report. Lastly, (and of the most help, I believe) I never place myself in a situation to discuss the terms of my visit where neighbors and strangers can hear. I feel that this earns alot of respect with the SIQ. The door must be opened, "can we step outside", "lets both be adult about this so no one has to know your business", "This is just a job that I do....I am very good at what I do and I take my job very serious. So it is nothing personal", "Do you really want your kids and neighbors to see this? Lets take a nice drive together and I will wait to cuff you until we are out of sight....otherwise I have to go stictly by Insurance Regulations and use cuffs, shackles, and a belly chain right in front of everyone." These are a few of the lines I used (could be why we are paying for so much tax funded training for me LOL).

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 30 Mar 2010 21:43 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
rab2344 wrote:
6VAC20-260-270. Uniforms and identification; standards and restrictions.
A. A bail enforcement agent shall not wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, or other insignia or emblem that implies he is an agent of state, local, or federal government. (This was originally the only wording on the website - no brainer)
B. A bail enforcement agent shall wear or display only identification issued by, or whose design has been approved by, the department (Department in VA means DCJS). Statutory Authority §§ 9.1-102 and 9.1-186.2 of the Code of Virginia. - this is new on their website, might have been on the books the whole time.

This seems slightly vague to me,I mean do they mean (which i have found in most places)you cannot wear a federal or state seal on badge,patch or uniform? or have the words United States on your uniform, patches or badges?
Here in TN. that is the case,we can carry a badge,uniform and patches as long as there is no state or federal seal on them.
my badge reads Bail Enforcement Agent and i have worn the tactical vest at times and that has a patch that reds fugitive recovery agent with no seals at all just the lettering.I also know that badges with a blue ring around the center cap can be construed as federal and that is why some places such as i believe maxsell will not sell the blue ring around center cap badges to the general public.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Wed 31 Mar 2010 09:45 

All state laws vary, just as the choice to carry a badge or not varies. Remember one thing. If you're knocking on a skips door, and they don't know you, they already have a pretty good idea of who you are and why you're there!

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion