Lets talk money ? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Lets talk money ?
 Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 12:17 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
In the past few days I have been studying up on "Bondsman." I have determined that the "average" percentage that a Bondsman takes for his/her up front cost is 10%. I also heard some Bondsman offered an 8% up front cost on the higher dollar amount bails. This led me to research what bail amounts were linked to what charges. I thouroughly researched the State of MN website for MN Courts and I was not able to find a "bail schedule". I also searched in the area counties around me and was not able to find a bail schedule there either.
So here are my questions:
1. Am I correct about the the average 10% fees and occasional 8% fees? Also, are their times or situations when a bondsman would charge a higer percentage?

2. I understand that every county and state have different statutes and that bail can be set by a judge to what he thinks the totallity of the circumstances deems appropriate. However I am eager to know what are the common charges/bail amounts in the states or counties from everyone here on this forum? or if anyone knows of a Bail schedule for MN or United States.

Thanks for your time and Responses,

Resident Insurance Producer: Bail Bonds
License #: 40199019

**I am licensed to work in the field of Bail Bond recovery. However, I do not work in the field nor have I ever. I added my license in my signature only to show others the achievement I have made in getting one step closer to establishing a business. **

Post subject: Re: Lets talk money ?
 Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 12:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
Nate,
What you are allowed to charge is established by your state insurance commission, and the standard is 10%. Some state differentiate between felonies and misdemeanors, but your state insurance commission is the source for your answer.
Bondsman will advertise what they have to to get the phone to ring, and it is often full of caveats like OAC (on approved credit)
or low money down and payment arrangements. In MD, you cannot charge interest unless you are a licensed lending institution. This does not stop bondsmen from charging interest on the money that they choose to finance, but it is illegal.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 13:22 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: None
Thanks Scott,

I'm sure this info will prove helpful. While reading your reply I had another concern or just a flat out observation. In my expierence with The MN Dept Of Corrections and with the training I recieved going through the Law Enforcement Academy I had Statutes galore crammed down my throat. When I was looking at Minnesota Law on bail bonds and apprehension it as very vague as far as use of force goes. Any thoughts on this?

Resident Insurance Producer: Bail Bonds
License #: 40199019

**I am licensed to work in the field of Bail Bond recovery. However, I do not work in the field nor have I ever. I added my license in my signature only to show others the achievement I have made in getting one step closer to establishing a business. **

Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 14:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
yes, avoid it!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 17:01 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
20% Here in Vermont, But i work for 8% on recovery, unless it's a small bond.

Bail Agent#708126-Vermont
Advantage Bail Bonds of Vermont

Post Posted: Fri 26 Mar 2010 19:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
10% in Ohio, no more and no less than 10%. But we have bondsmen that break the rules here and only charge 8% or charge 5% down with payments. It's a cut throat business in this state and other states.

It just pisses me off that bondsmen like me and my six agents here follow the rules that Department of Insurance made into law and we take the beating at times. While other bondmen break the rules an get away with it and put a bad name on the good ones.

I see in the near future pre-trial service will be in full force in this state.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Sat 27 Mar 2010 02:19 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
5 percent down? steve i think youre lucky!! we have more than a few here in Tn. now offering NO money down AND half off the bond.Got to love the cut throats!! :roll:

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Sat 27 Mar 2010 07:31 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
AWOBB wrote:
10% in Ohio, no more and no less than 10%. But we have bondsmen that break the rules here and only charge 8% or charge 5% down with payments. It's a cut throat business in this state and other states.

It just pisses me off that bondsmen like me and my six agents here follow the rules that Department of Insurance made into law and we take the beating at times. While other bondmen break the rules an get away with it and put a bad name on the good ones.

I see in the near future pre-trial service will be in full force in this state.

Steve, you say it all here my man.... we face the same in Virginia... keep doing what is right Steve, that is all any of us can do...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 27 Mar 2010 07:39 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Jayc4929 wrote:
5 percent down? steve i think youre lucky!! we have more than a few here in Tn. now offering NO money down AND half off the bond.Got to love the cut throats!! :roll:

Now this should really get your attention..........

I have it on good authority the following two items...

1. Northern VA has at least one company... un-named... that is getting people out with NO MONEY AND NO COSIGNERS... taking them to their families and asking for whatever premium is due... if the money is not forthcoming they lock the defendant back up......... go figure???

2. The beach area of VA (I will not name the jurisdiction) has a jurisdiction that allows bondsmen to sit in a waiting area writing bonds as they come through booking!!!! and also they are writing the bonds for $50 period....... yes.... $50 unless the bond is larger than say $10k.... so how can you compete with that......... I know this is a fact because I walked into that jurisdiction to write a bond and faced down at least 5 or 6 bondsmen that did not have any business being there... they were sitting around laughing and ask me what I was doing... when I told them I was there to write a bond they laughed and said I might as well go home because I would normally be wasting my time............. they said......"we own this jail"... I said nothing, wrote the bond and left.

According to DCJS law, it is unlawful to solicit in or around a jail or courtroom... so how do these bondsman get away with this??????????????????????????? I have called DCJS and nothing is ever done... it is a joke.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 28 Mar 2010 14:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

Maybe once these bail agents have to start paying off some of those forfeitures on bonds they wrote for $50, then they will either stop the practice of writing these bonds or go out of business.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion