Bounty Hunting - why we do it • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bounty Hunting - why we do it
 Post Posted: Mon 01 Mar 2010 22:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Forgive me for getting sentimental on everyone, but I'd like to share my feelings on this side of the industry.

A lot of you out there chase your own skips, the professional recovery agents have been in it for a while, some I believe are prior-law enforcement, and it's safe to assume that the good majority are all ex-military and/or have been around the bonding industry for a while. I came into this business not knowing anything - in fact "Dog" was still someone I couldn't really understand.

I'm 25 years old, finishing my degree, and working actively in this field. My college mates all ask me if I'm just like "Dog". I tell them I'm not him. I'm a professional contractor hired to recover those who run from the courts and their bond. The more I work in this field the more love for it I have. The adrenaline rush from getting your fugitive is nice, but I love the hunt itself - and I love the fact that I'm helping ensure the integrity of the system.

My girlfriend hates me doing this job because it does has it's dangers, and of course the hours. What she does like about it is the fact that it helps me for what I want to do: make a difference, in others' lives, and in my own. I love the fact that I can make a difference. To be honest the pay isn't all that great, but I'm not in it for that. And for the glory? I can't honestly say there is any glory in getting someone. It's more satisfying than glorious; I don't deal with the greatest of people, unfortunately I still take a lot of what I see out in the field at home with me, but I feel a satisfaction in doing something that counts.

The good majority of those we apprehend have committed offenses while out on bond. Apprehending those true criminals makes me smile when I go to sleep at night. As far as those who are ignorant to the system, bringing them back in serves as a wake-up call. I've arrested the true "crack-heads" and college students who don't know what in the hell is going on. But each time I come back with that BOB I feel like I've ensured some sort of sanctity with the system. For the bigger busts we've had no camera crew, no write-up in the local paper, just another mug-shot put into the detention center's website.

I view all of us recovery agents as those "silent professionals" that the U.S. dubbed the submarine service in WWII. We approach out of nowhere, do our bidding, and then return back into the shadows to continue on with the mission. The only publicity I want to see for us is that we do exist, we do our job, and leave it at that. Someone once said that "bounty hunters" are the last of the cowboys of the "old west". In a way we are, but not in some act of bravado do we go in and create a stir - at least I hope not - I look at it as a line from a poem by A.E. Housman, what was abandoned we defended. We defend the system, and sometimes those who fall victim to the individuals who are on the run and re-offend.

It makes me feel good to be part of this community, to see other agents give back like the video of the "Bounty Boys" from Oklahoma trying to help, to those who want to give this industry a good name, to be professional, to accomplish the task at hand, and move on to the next job. What motivates me to do this job? My little girl coming into this world, my father who was a fugitive, apprehending my defendant, and being in the good company of trained professionals who believe in the industry and system and doing what is necessary to achieve the task without compromising integrity and the name of this profession.

We are an odd breed. But not in what we do, but in why we do it. We believe in the system, from bonding to apprehension of fugitives, and we are tireless in our efforts. Maybe we are "cowboys" because we believe in an old chivalrist system of abiding by the law, the Constitution, promises, and doing our part. Perhaps I'm still a bit of a naive idealist, but, I love this profession and every morning I wake up to do it - no matter how tired I am, and I love the things that are to come. As the saying goes, there is nothing quite like the hunting of an armed man, and once one performs such, they desire nothing else. The "thrill of the hunt".

God bless you all, and thank you for everything you do. I am proud to be a member of this community.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunting - why we do it
 Post Posted: Mon 01 Mar 2010 22:42 

Absolutely phenomenal Ben! *applause*

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 06:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
Very nice !!!, :)

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 06:51 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
VERY good!!!!! great post...standing applause

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 07:26 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Very nice, keep that attitude, even in the face of adversity... which if you haven't experienced it yet, will sometime in the future... hit you square in the face. On that day and other days like it... try to maintain your present attitude and if you can... you will do fine.

Somewhere, someone described our daily business as 23 1/2 hours of complete utter boredom and frustration ending with about 30 minutes of totally wild, screeching, orgasmic top of the world excitement...

I'm not sure if I completely agree with that... orgasmic... uh, maybe 30 seconds?? but that is what I have read somewhere on here.....

BTW... I am not a BEA... I am only a lowly bondsman... but I too have my moments............. Image

Keep the attitude Mr. Dragon, stay safe... you'll be fine.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 12:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
and damn thoses BOBs :wink: . . . awesome post, Dragon

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 17:50 

Outstanding post! I couldn't agree more. I find myself getting frustrated when people who aren't familiar with the industry say "Oh, like The Dog, right?" I do my best to politely and briefly explain that it's not, what you see on TV is exactly that-entertainment. But some of what is seen on his show is similar to the work. Regardless, I too am one of those who isn't in this for the money, and rest assured there are many of us who feel the same. You are definitely in the right mindset, Dragon. I'd be honored to work alongside you. Well done!

Post Posted: Tue 02 Mar 2010 19:57 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Wow dragon i could not have stated that better myself.you are correct we are an odd breed!! to actually choose this profession is in itself odd,but is very rewarding in each of our own ways.I feel 110 percent the way you do about this industry and its players,I believe we all make a difference in our communities doing this job.Alot of skips are out commiting more crimes while out on bond,some people just never learn.I believe we as recovery agents do a great service for our communities and the public in general by placing these people back behind bars.I am by no means a police officer but it gives me great pleasure and a sense of accomplishment when i return someone back into custody and i know they wont be out there hurting someone or even themselves for that matter.
you are absolutely correct on the money aspect of it as well.I cant lie i do like getting paid to do something i love to do but the satisfaction of hunting and capturing a fugitive by far out wieghs the monetary reward.Thank you for putting into words what i could not dragon.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Thu 04 Mar 2010 05:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Have been taking a writing course or something? :D

Seriously, great work on a well written piece. I feel that a great dicision was made, on my part, when I chose to speak with you on becoming and how to start out as part of this industry. You have the right mentality about this business. Keep up the mindset and remember "Its not personal. Its what you do." I hope to get everything straight with our "Uncle" so that I can, one day, be back in the streets with you guys. I look forward to it.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:04 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. You did have a great influence with me trying to get into this field. It feels good to know such professionals out there and to have the privilege to work with them. I love each day I get in my car to do this job and the people I get to work and associate with!

Of course, I'm out of pocket for a bit due to my daughter just being born. She's another reason why I am so passionate about this work and my goals in life. Thanks again brother!

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion