CA Bail Agent an Alleged Fraud • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: CA Bail Agent an Alleged Fraud
 Post Posted: Tue 15 Dec 2009 17:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
An allegedly phony bail bondsman is using inmates for income, and using the Sacramento County Jail itself to lure his victims.

At least five inmates at the Sacramento County Jail say he took their money. He posted a big bright advertisement inside the jail alongside dozens of others, and it all happened right under the nose of the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.

The ad says it all. A picture of an inmate locked up behind bars. The ad states "Brian Malone Bail Bonds will help." It also boasts that Malone has 20 years of experience.

"Allowing him to advertise undoubtedly made people think he must have been legitimate, he's advertising at the jail. I mean people are going to think that, right?" says Jeffrey Kravitz, a Sacramento attorney.

Only this Brian Malone is not actually a licensed bail bondsman at all.

Malone is an alleged criminal himself, and charged with several felonies including altering, falsifying and forging government documents, and operating without a license.

Malone is out of business now, but sheriff's Captain Scott Jones was in command of the jail when the ads went up.

"Well, I think we were unwitting participants in it," says Jones.

According to court documents, Malone's victims were duped into giving him thousands of dollars.

Malone could be locked up himself now, but does law enforcement bear some of the blame?

"I think if we're getting paid and we're providing a paid service, then we assume some of the duty for that," says Jones.

Captain Jones says that the Sheriff's Department doesn't make a dime off the ads, and they're replicas of the Yellow Pages; AT&T actually profits from them. Therefore, Jones says the jail is not required to regulate them.

Kravitz who represents several licensed bail bondsman disagrees.

"The idea that the jail does not regulate what goes on at the jail does not make any sense to me whatsoever, it's just completely irrational," he said.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject: Re: CA Bail Agent an Alleged Fraud
 Post Posted: Wed 16 Dec 2009 13:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
In CA, we must list our bail agent license number in all advertisements, even on business cards.

For years, when I checked out the new yellow page directories when they were issued, I would find plenty of ads that did not list license numbers and report them to the department of insurance.

For the most part they would ignore my complaints and nothing ever happens.

Maybe if the DOI had someone check the ads, they could have caught this guy right away.

It is also the jail's responsibilty to verify that we are properly licensed bail agents. Now the story states that this guy forged some documents but they say which docs were forged.

Post Posted: Sat 19 Dec 2009 18:40 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I just don't get it............... If I go to a jurisdiction I have never been before.... the first thing the magistrate does is ask me for my DCJS number, he checks me out, as he should, I provide the legal documentation and write the bond... even the jails that know me, periodically ask for my number and run it to just make sure that I am still compliant.

I thought CA was a tough state on bondsmen and legal documentation on related professions, so why are these people getting away with this????? There are many checks and balances in place to stop this if the people in charge would just do their jobs....

I can only say that in my "neck of the woods" you would be hard pressed to write a bond anywhere, without proper credentials... I always thought CA was a sophisticated, literate, articulate, educated, high society state that made everyone dot their i's and cross there T's............ mmmmmmmmmmm guess I was mistaken... and in another month............. it should really get interesting.....

Good luck Tony............ you and Randall should really be busy!! 8) 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 20 Dec 2009 12:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

Sac County "used" to verify bail agents credentails, especially if you were new or did not post a lot of bonds there.

I have only posted bonds at that jail twice. Each time I provided ID and copies of my surety POAs.

Sac County supposedly has laid off hundreds of deputies and I'm sure, non sworned clerical also. That may or may not be a reason for this screw up.

On the other hand, our department of insurance has showned that they only go after "big" time insurance violators, mainly in auto and fire / casualty, not bail.

Finally, our criminals are becoming more sophisticated and articulate. Many of them know how the systems work better than some bail agents. So, I am not suprised that this guy was able to perpetrate this scam and I think others will come up with other scams.

Just a quick story,

A couple of years ago I got a call on a Saturday morning for a bail. The guy stated that he came by our office the night before and we were closed. But he called our number and talked to a female bail agent.

Well the only female is my wife and she don't answer the phone unless I am out of town.

Anyway, to cut the chase, they had mis dailed our number. This "bail agent" told them to meet at a Mc Donalds because she didn't have the keys to the office and that they could do all the paperwork at the McDonalds, collect the bail premium and post the bail at the jail by faxing it over.

The cosinger got suspicious and decided to wait until the next day. Thats when he contacted me and we actually did the bond.

But who ever this other person was that they contacted by mistake, knew just enough to almost get them to fall for her scheme and lose their money.

Post Posted: Sun 20 Dec 2009 18:40 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
missed dialed numbers will sometimes work in your favor however... quick story... my home phone number is one digit off of the number of an old property bondsman in my county.... quite often, my home phone (which is not reflected on any of my business cards) will get a call from someone looking for Mr. ********* which of course is the wrong number, however, my quick witted wife ask if they are looking for a bondsman and they usually say yes and she says well this is a bondsman's office please hold and I will connect you to Mr. Marx.... "I know, I know... I am such a snake in the grass"..... well........ if you knew the bondsman that they are attempting to call... you would very likely do the same... :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

My number in Brunswick county Virginia is one digit off from Peno's Pizza... and I take orders for Penos all the time... I have also bonded a couple of his cooks and I don't mind taking the order and calling it in for him........ now that is funny, I don't care who you are......... :lol:

Pino's Restaurant & Pizza
(434) 848-4838 - 118 W Hicks St, Lawrenceville, VA 23868

Lawrenceville Bail Bonds (ME)
(434) 848-4848

But back to this thread......... uh........ what was it we were discussing....... mmmmmmmmm I never change the subject...... uh......... oh....... yeah, crooks defrauding the bail bond business...... sorry.

Yep, there sure are a lot of crooks in the bail bonds business.......well, not in the business but trying to be in the business, or, well, you know....... really??!! 8) 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage