LA - Employee Steals Money From Bail Agency • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: LA - Employee Steals Money From Bail Agency
 Post Posted: Tue 15 Dec 2009 17:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A man working for a bail bonds agency was arrested Tuesday for allegedly accepting payments on bonds, but not giving the money to the agency.

Scotty Tull, 45, of Denham Springs was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish prison on charges of insurance fraud and felony theft. He is believed to have taken $13,368.

According to Louisiana State Police, Tull accepted premium payments on bonds from Nov. 2007 through Jan. 2009 without submitting the payments or proper paperwork to AAA Bail Bonds. The agency was unaware he allegedly kept the money because there was no documentation showing the bonds were issued.

Troopers said it was not until a bond was revoked, sparking an audit, that the fraud was discovered. They investigated the matter for a month before making their findings known.

Investigators said when Tull was confronted with the information he resigned immediately and turned himself in to authorities.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject: Re: LA - Employee Steals Money From Bail Agency
 Post Posted: Thu 17 Dec 2009 20:29 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
According to Louisiana State Police, Tull accepted premium payments on bonds from Nov. 2007 through Jan. 2009 without submitting the payments or proper paperwork to AAA Bail Bonds. The agency was unaware he allegedly kept the money because there was no documentation showing the bonds were issued.

Ok... I am an old country boy but someone with a wider knowledge of this business explain something to me........... if he was licensed as a surety bondsman, which he obviously was... he was issued "powers" in certain denominations that he posted when he wrote and collected on the bonds... was the insurance company or the general agent supplying him with these 'powers' and didn't he ever do 'exoneration' or was he ever questioned about the 'powers' that disappeared over the 14 months in question???

...but even more interesting is the fact that the insurance company and/or the general agent did not do an inventory report for 14 months and no one was looking over his shoulder??? ...... that is crazy.

The thing is.... depending on the size of the bonds he was stroking.... $13,000 is not a lot of money... that could be covered with very few bonds if they were of any size.... but a bond of a larger denomination would be more visible to the insurance company and the general agent and depending on how long he had operated as a bondsman... he should have been under the wing of some sort of supervisor.... anyway.... somebody wasn't doing their homework or watching the reports or the issuing of the new powers...

I submit a report on a regular basis, relating to my inventory, what is out, what is finalized and my company sends me new powers every week to replace the used ones.... I suppose I could get away with hiding a few here and there but there just ain't enough money involved here and besides.... I have a good idea what its like on the other side of those bars.............. no thank you. 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 17 Dec 2009 21:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Bill he could have been a posting agent for a property bondsman.

Anything else is not defensible.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 17 Dec 2009 22:11 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
Bill he could have been a posting agent for a property bondsman.

Well, they said "insurance fraud" which led me to believe it was surety.

Although, a posting agent probably would have been given the bond from his handler who would have a record on the case and even if he posted a "walk in", a record would be in place and in Virginia a liability report for property bondsmen must be filed monthly (as far as I know) which would provide another line of info on the bonds. (I don't know the laws as applies in reporting in LA and that has a lot to do with this case I think...)

Obviously as reflected by this case, anything is possible. I just found it curious that the situation went on for 14 months without discovery... but then $13,000 isn't that much as relates to bond premiums so he obviously was able to hide that for a while and of course the laws in Louisiana may not be... and apparently are not... as strict as ours in VA.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage