E-mails Suggest Supervisor Sought to Delay Firing • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: E-mails Suggest Supervisor Sought to Delay Firing
 Post Posted: Tue 13 Oct 2009 08:26 

By Michael Owens | Reporter / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: October 13, 2009

E-mails between state officials suggest there was a reluctance to immediately fire former Abingdon Magistrates John C. “Tiny” Mullins III and Norman Dayton Harris for their conspiracy to falsify documents to aid a bail bondsman-father’s business.

On the evening of April 18, 2008, and early the next morning, Tiny Mullins used another magistrate’s electronic computer signature to release from jail three defendants bonded out by his father, J.C. Mullins Jr., of Abingdon Bail Bonds.

Harris, in a June interview, admitted to the Bristol Herald Courier that he provided his computer password so that Tiny Mullins could falsify those documents.

On May 4, the Herald Courier sought employee time sheets and other documents from the Office of the Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court of Virginia,
which oversees the state’s magistrate offices. Nearly three weeks later, on May 21, Tiny Mullins was fired and Harris was forced to resign.

E-mails since obtained through the state Freedom of Information Act show that the magistrates’ immediate supervisor wanted “some leeway” on when to end their employment.

A more senior official responded that the two magistrates already should have been forced out.

Timing

The only indication there was a reluctance to immediately oust the two magistrates comes in a May 21 e-mail that state Magistrate System Coordinator Bobby Lewis sent to his superior, Director of Judicial Services Paul F. DeLosh.

Lewis wrote that Magistrate Regional Supervisor Bill Walman, who oversees the Abingdon magistrate’s office, had questioned when the men should be fired.

“I spoke to Bill Walman at length and would like an opportunity to talk to you about the Mullins/Harris problem. Bill asks for some leeway on the timing of the terminations,” Lewis wrote at 9:40 a.m.

At 9:55 a.m., DeLosh responds that their boss, Karl Hade, who heads the Office of the Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court of Virginia, wanted the men fired already.

“Please come see me as Karl wanted this taken care of yesterday,” DeLosh wrote.

The next day, at 7:33 a.m., Walman alerts his superiors via e-mail that Tiny Mullins and Harris are gone.

DeLosh replies nearly an hour later, writing “Thanks again, Bill and thanks for all that you have done for that Region.”

At 9:04 a.m., Walman shoots DeLosh a reply stating that “it may take me a little longer than I had anticipated, but I still plan on developing and giving you the best Region in the state.”

Two minutes later, Lewis replies to Walman’s news that Tiny Mullins and Harris are gone: “I appreciate you taking care of this so promptly. I wish it were under different circumstances.”

Walman, in a brief telephone interview Oct. 6, told the Herald Courier that he was not familiar with Lewis’ e-mail about the request for leeway.

“I don’t know what it is you are talking about without seeing the e-mails,” he said.

He then suggested that questions be e-mailed to him via the state Supreme Court’s media liaison. Neither Walman, DeLosh, Lewis nor Hade have responded to the newspaper’s e-mailed inquiries.

Silence

The same day he informed his superiors that Tiny Mullins and Harris are gone, Walman then e-mailed the region’s magistrates a warning not to speak of the incident.

He wrote: “While we all regret the events of the past few days, I want to ensure that we respect the dignity and privacy of our former colleagues. I am, therefore, advising you that this is not a matter for public discussion. If you are asked any questions, you may answer only that they are no longer with OES [Office of the Executive Secretary] or the Magistrate System.

“I believe any of us would appreciate the same consideration. I will make sure everyone is aware of the offers I have already received to help complete the district work schedule as we go forward. I am deeply moved by your support and cooperation.”

Plea

Slightly more than a week after he was forced to resign, Harris sent Executive Secretary Hade a letter expressing surprise that firing was ever an option and requesting an in-person appeal.

The letter appears in a June 19 e-mail that DeLosh sent to Lewis.

“I have been a loyal employee for the Commonwealth of Virginia for 25 years and have an unblemished work history up until this happened,” Harris wrote. “I feel that not all the facts and circumstances were presented to you before your decision was made.”

Harris, in an earlier interview, said he was shocked to lose his job, especially since he told a superior that documents were falsified soon after it happened.

Former Abingdon Chief Magistrate George VanHoy reprimanded both Harris and Tiny Mullins by telling them not to falsify records, according to earlier Herald Courier interviews. VanHoy retired from the office in late January.

To lose his job nearly a year after receiving a reprimand was akin to being punished twice for the same crime, Harris told the Herald Courier.
He included this sentiment in his letter to Hade.

“I would like to point out that Mr. George VanHoy was the Chief Magistrate at the time and he gave me and Mr. Mullins a very harsh reprimand at the time,”
Harris wrote. “For this to be brought up again, several months later and for you to punish me once again is not what I call justice and would appear to be double jeopardy.”

It could not be determined if Hade agreed to meet with Harris.

mowens@bristolnews.com| (276) 645-2549

Post subject: Re: E-mails Suggest Supervisor Sought to Delay Firing
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Oct 2009 21:05 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Lets backup to Oct. 9th to clarify a couple of things on this story out of Bristol Virginia area... I think the story actually started in April and reads like a soap opera. If you have time, you may find it interesting...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

E-mails Reveal John C. Mullins’ Efforts To Withhold Time Sheets That Show Fraud Scheme
By Michael Owens | Reporter / Bristol Herald Courier
Published: October 9, 2009

E-mails between two state agencies reveal that former Abingdon Magistrate John C. “Tiny” Mullins III balked at the Bristol Herald Courier’s request for his 2008 time sheets, which would have proved he falsified documents to aid his father’s bail bonding business.
The Herald Courier asked for the time sheets in early May. Nearly two months later, on June 28, the newspaper detailed how Tiny Mullins used another magistrate’s electronic computer signature to release from jail three defendants bonded out by his father, J.C. Mullins Jr., of Abingdon Bail Bonds. Evidence of the scheme had to be found without the aid of those time sheets, however.
E-mails since obtained through the Freedom of Information Act from the Office of the Executive Secretary of the Virginia Supreme Court, which oversees the state’s magistrate offices, show that Tiny Mullins’ boss faced difficulty getting a straight answer about the records when he tried to respond to the newspaper’s request for information.
At one point, the boss asked Tiny Mullins if he was “willing” to turn over the time sheets. Nearly a week later, Tiny Mullins told superiors that his time sheets might have been destroyed, despite regulations requiring that they be kept for three years.

Delay
The first e-mail mention of the time sheets came on May 8 at 1:13 a.m., as Tiny Mullins relayed to regional Magistrate Supervisor Bill Walman his reservations about handing over anything that included personal information.
Tiny Mullins included in his e-mail a March 2009 opinion by the Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council stating that documents in a magistrate’s office are public information. The opinion was issued in reference to a Virginia magistrate who was seeking the salaries of his co-workers and superiors.
In his e-mail to Walman, Tiny Mullins pointed to a section of the advisory opinion noting that some personnel information is not open to the public. He appears to have argued that the personal information included on the time sheets should make the entire document exempt from public disclosure.
In fact, the Herald Courier relied on this opinion to obtain from the Virginia Supreme Court and the Abingdon magistrate’s office the documents needed to investigate Tiny Mullins. The father-and-son scheme was eventually pieced together through interviews, by reviewing 140 court case files, and by creating a timeline based on another magistrate’s time sheets.
Tiny Mullins falsified bail bond release records on the evening of April 18, 2008, and early the next morning. The son used fellow Magistrate Norman Dayton Harris’ electronic computer signature to sign three separate bail bond forms to release from jail three defendants awaiting court hearings.
Harris admitted to the newspaper to giving Tiny Mullins the computer pass code to the electronic signature. Harris’ time sheets also were used to show that he was not working the night his electronic signature was printed on bond and jail release documents.
Tiny Mullins was fired and Harris was forced to resign three weeks after the Herald Courier asked for the records. Since the story ran, a special prosecutor from Roanoke has been tasked with deciding whether to charge the men with a crime.
“I’m sure you are aware that any request under the FOIA that asks for personal information that identifies a individual is exempt,” Tiny Mullins wrote his supervisor. “Our weekly and monthly reports do contain personal information including our names and social security numbers, the dates and times we work and location.”
The time sheets requested by the Herald Courier do not contain Social Security numbers, but do include the employee’s name and the dates and times worked. Also included are logs of every bail bond, jail committal and jail release the magistrate conducted while in the office.
Walman replied at 7:07 a.m. May 8, that personal information likely would be blacked out, and that he was asking for the time sheets only to follow orders from higher in the chain of command.
“Our policy is that magistrates are/were required to maintain copies of their weekly logs for a period of three years,” Walman wrote. “As your Regional Supervisor, I am requesting copies of your weekly logs. ... I need an immediate response from you. Do you have the requested reports and are you willing to give them to me?”
Nearly a week later, Walman noted in an e-mail to a Supreme Court spokeswoman that Tiny Mullins likely destroyed his time sheets.

Rules
There are supposed to be two copies of a magistrate’s time sheets. One copy is kept by the magistrate and the other is kept by the office supervisor. At the time of the Herald Courier’s information request, the Abingdon office lacked a supervisor. Walman filled in until late June, when a replacement was found.
The former Abingdon supervisor, George VanHoy, had retired in late January after running the office for 31 years. In an earlier interview, VanHoy said he destroyed the time sheets and some other documents because “everything that was left there that wasn’t important was destroyed.”
State law, as well as the magistrate’s manual, require that time sheets be kept for three years by both the magistrate and the office supervisor. Also, it is a misdemeanor if an outgoing supervisor destroys the time sheets instead of handing them over to a successor, according to state law.
On May 8, hours after requesting the time sheets from Tiny Mullins, Walman informed Supreme Court spokeswoman Kristi S. Wright, who helped handle the newspaper’s information request, that VanHoy destroyed documents before he retired.
“The former Chief in the 28th District cleaned house and destroyed all log reports,” Walman wrote. “Magistrate Mullins has not yet responded to my request for any copies he may be able to locate.”
Nearly a week later, on May 13, Walman explained in another e-mail to Wright that a statewide change in the magistrate accounting system led VanHoy to believe the time sheets were no longer necessary.
Virginia magistrates used to record their work hours, bond transactions and arrest warrants on paper. That changed Nov. 1, 2008, when they moved to a computer program called eMagistrate, which automatically logs every transaction.
A program drawback is that it can’t easily print out the individual days and hours worked by a magistrate. Instead, it provides only the total hours worked in a particular pay period, according to Virginia Supreme Court spokeswoman Katya Herndon.
They would need to hire a computer expert to pull more precise information, Herndon said.
For this reason, the newspaper requested only the handwritten time sheets from January-October 2008.
In the May 13 e-mail, Walman wrote: “Magistrate Mullins kept his copies of the weekly logs at the Abingdon Office and I am told by other magistrates he was not neat and well-organized with his reports.
“He indicates to me that they may have be [sic] disposed of when the office was last cleaned of obsolete forms, reports, etc. At this time he can not locate copies of the logs. ... “I will keep on this matter, but, at this time, I do not believe I can produce these logs.”

mowens@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2549

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and then there's this...................

BHC Reporter Recognized for Investigative Story Exposing Bond Scheme

Bristol Herald Courier investigative reporter Mike Owens
By The Continuous News Desk
Published: October 13, 2009

A Bristol Herald Courier reporter has won a statewide award for revealing a scheme by a local jail magistrate to funnel bond business to his father.

Michael L. Owens, 39, an investigative reporter who focuses on police and criminal justice issues, has received the Virginia Coalition for Open Government’s Freedom of Information media award for 2009.

VCOG honors one citizen, one member of the media and a local government each year for advancing the cause of open government. The organization will present the awards Thursday at its annual conference in Staunton, Va.

Documents that Owens obtained under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act proved that Magistrate John C. “Tiny” Mullins III in Abingdon used a fellow magistrate’s electronic computer signature to falsify records that released three defendants from jail under bonds put up by Mullins’ father, J.C. Mullins Jr.

“Owens’ investigation prompted State Police to investigate Mullins, who was also fired from his position by the Virginia Supreme Court’s Office of the Executive Secretary nearly three weeks after fielding a request for documents related to the scheme,” VCOG wrote in a news release.

The criminal investigation continues.

Owens, a Norfolk native, joined the Herald Courier in February 2008 and has 15 years of experience as a journalist. He has won nearly 50 journalism awards during his career.

His investigation, backed by another magistrate’s admission of the scheme, also showed that Tiny Mullins resisted Owens’ efforts to provide state-mandated open records and showed that some state records were destroyed in violation of Virginia law.

“Mike’s work on this story continues and has been dogged,” said J. Todd Foster, the Herald Courier’s editor. “It’s the type of watchdog journalism that is – or should be – a hallmark of our profession and showed the kind of depth that newspapers can bring to these labor-intensive projects.”

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: E-mails Suggest Supervisor Sought to Delay Firing
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Oct 2009 21:16 

It helps to see the additional articles; I do find this interesting.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage