Bail Set During Murder Appeal • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bail Set During Murder Appeal
 Post Posted: Sat 26 Sep 2009 04:50 

Bulls Eye Sports Lounge: Pierce County man sentenced to 13 years has bond of $2 million
ADAM LYNN; THE NEWS TRIBUNE

Published: 09/26/09 12:05 am

A Pierce County man convicted of murder can bail out of prison while his appeal is being considered, a Superior Court judge ruled Friday. Judge Brian Tollefson set the appeal bond for Barry Ford at $2 million. That means Ford, 51, can buy his release by putting up that much cash or paying a fee – usually 10 percent of the bail amount – to a bail bonds company. In Ford’s case that would be $200,000. Ford’s attorney, Jay Berneburg, said Friday that he wasn’t sure if Ford and his friends, who have pledged to help him, could raise that much money. Berneburg had asked Tollefson to set bail no higher that $500,000.

Deputy prosecutor Sunni Ko opposed Tollefson granting an appeals bond to Ford, who was convicted in June of second-degree murder for his role in the 2008 death of Dana Beaudine. Ko pointed out that Ford has filed a request that the public pay the costs of his appeal. Tollefson has yet to rule on that request. If he has money to post bail, he should have money to pay for his own appeals lawyer, Ko argued. At the very least, she said, the bail amount should be set at $2 million for Ford, who in July was sentenced to more than 13 years in prison.

“He has a huge incentive now to not return because he knows what he is looking at if the appeal fails,” Ko argued. “He knows that he’s looking at more than a decade in prison.”

The deputy prosecutor argued at trial that Ford acted as an accomplice in the murder of Beaudine, who was stabbed to death outside the Bulls Eye Sports Lounge in Spanaway in April 2008 after an argument with some of Ford’s friends. She said Ford prevented a friend of Beaudine’s from going to help the victim as he was being beaten and stabbed. Bernberg asked Tollefson earlier this summer to set aside the jury’s verdict against his client and dismiss the charge against him.

“The state presented no evidence that Mr. Ford knew of or participated in any plan to assault or stab Beaudine,” Berneburg wrote in court pleadings. “The evidence presented by the state established no more than Mr. Ford’s mere presence at the Bulls Eye.”

Tollefson refused to set aside the verdict, setting the stage for Ford’s appeal.
Three other men also were convicted in Beaudine’s death: Mike McCreven, Terry Nolan and Carl Smith. McCreven was sentenced to more than 22 years in prison, Nolan more than 16 years. Smith awaits sentencing.

Post subject: Re: Bail Set During Murder Appeal
 Post Posted: Sat 26 Sep 2009 09:58 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Why does everybody forget the "collateral" . . . not a lot of incentive to return for his hearing

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sat 26 Sep 2009 10:40 

We had a similar case like this in Minnesota. A man was arrested on a drive by murder charge. His bail was set at 1 million. If he does make bail, do you actually think there's any chance he'll show up for court? So far, he's still sitting in jail. He'd have to have one h--l of a good attorney to prove that he got lost, some hitchhiker he picked up had the gun, and it accidently went off when the guy showed it to him. :roll:

Post Posted: Thu 01 Oct 2009 22:04 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I have a lot of leeway with my general agent in giving me "powers" to write bonds, but that is because she knows that I am very strict on the bonds that I write, and I have a very low FTA rate. I write a lot of signature bonds, but when it comes to real money issues, I make sure that I have collateral that I have perfected locally, and that my insurance company agrees with before they issue me the power of attorney to post the bond. Currently, I hold a power on and can write a bond of 50K, but I won't do so unless I know it is a good bond and neither I or my GA or insurance company is at risk for it.

I know the bond schedule for my county, and know what my clients are facing depending on the charges. Some of the bonds are outside the state schedule, and are ridiculous for the defendant"s charges and history. Unfortunately, they may stay in jail until their bail is made reasonable, but when it is, I ge the call. Again, I get the call, because of my reputation. I hate to keeping harping on the reputation subject, but that IS why and where my business comes from. I am successful in my bail bond business because I write tight bail, and I am successful in working for others because I can find people and get them in.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage