Movie recommendation • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Movie recommendation
 Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 07:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I don't usually recommend "touchy, feely" movies, however, last nite I was sitting at my laptop doin' a bit of catching up on a couple of cases and happen to have the "boob tube" on... and as usual I couldn't find anything that was interesting.... I happened to land on one of the movie channels and for some reason it held my attention so I watched it............

Clarification.... I am a 65 year old southern raised male with all the usual prejudices implanted from society over a lifetime of dealing with all sorts of different people. I was raised in a fairly conservative household of upper middle income with a doctor as a dad and had a lot of things that... shall we say... the less fortunate did not have... I will admit to that. My parents were not prejudice against anyone in particular but they did try to shield me from... again.... the less fortunate of society... which meant anyone that did not look like me. I went to school before integration and segregation was a thing of my time. I didn't dislike anyone... I just didn't associate with anyone that was not on my social level and that limited my exposure to a very large group of society.

I don't like rap music, I don't like 'bustin' a sag', I don't know how to shake your hand if you are not a "wasp"... I have nothing in particular against anyone of any race or creed but I also do not associate socially with many people that are not in my immediate group. I do not like driving through certain sections of cities unless I am with at least 2 other really tough friends and all of us are armed... and are driving a very fast car.

Ok, having prefaced this little post with that........

The movie is "Freedom Writers". It is based on a true story of a teacher who is placed in a position of teaching a group of kids from inner city USA (not sure of the area but I think it was LA) These kids hate each other, do not want to learn and each has a story to tell... the more I watched, the more involved I became and the more I actually came to realize that these kids were in a war zone that basically formed due to their search for respect in a life that had little and certainly none for a young, white, female school teacher that had no idea of what these kids were facing in life.

There have been other movies similar to this but for some reason, this one got my attention in a way that the others did not... It has had a very positive influence on many kids and it certainly got my attention.

If you get a chance, you might want to take a look.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Movie recommendation
 Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 08:05 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
If i remember correctly, this movie is about 10 years old? If it's the movie i'm thinking of it is very good!

After Hours Bail Bonds
Hagerstown & Frederick, MD
Phone - (240) 347-BAIL
Phone - (240) 285-9005
Fax - (877) 867-3730

Stephen Thompson Jr.

Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 11:28 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Experience: None
Great movie. Shows what you can do if you care to.

Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 16:22 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
The movie is excellent ! It definitely shows that 1 idealistic person can make a positive change in society. You can "Google" the topic "Freedom Writers" and pick up where the movie left off. It's conception has spread to several other communities, and its founder has formed a foundation, after the movie, and is working nationally to improve our nations educatonal system.

Another movie along similar lines, and I have forgotten the name of it, is about a NYC dance teacher who introduces formal ballroom/classical dancing into the public school system. The movie stars Antonio Banderas (sp ?) as the dance instructor. His program is now a part of several inner city school systems in the NE.

Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 20:15 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Another movie along similar lines, and I have forgotten the name of it, is about a NYC dance teacher who introduces formal ballroom/classical dancing into the public school system. The movie stars Antonio Banderas (sp ?) as the dance instructor. His program is now a part of several inner city school systems in the NE.

I believe the name of the this movie you are talking about is called... "Take The Lead"
My daughter has that movie. and LOVES it.. very good movie...

Post Posted: Fri 28 Aug 2009 23:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
There was a similar movie years ago (pretty sure it was Stand and Deliver) with Edward James Olmos and another one with Michelle Pfieffer(?). It's a "done" genre but a really good premise. I may check it out just yet! LOL

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Tue 01 Sep 2009 22:53 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

yes.. also a good movie...

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion