Concealed Carry • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Concealed Carry
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 11:36 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
I would greatly appreciate any effort that is designed to help me make a decision on a new holster for non-employment concealed carry.

I've looked at Kydex holsters, in-the-pant leather holsters and many others, but it would be helpful if I could draw on the experiences of others who have actually used the new crop of concealed rigs.

Which one do you find the most concealable?

Which one do you find most comfortable?

Thumb snap or open top?

Etceteras

Thanks A Bunch,

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 12:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Call me old fashioned but I like the thumb snap.... I have a couple of open top and they make me nervous when riding my motorcycle or any type of vigorous movement... hasn't popped out yet but still. For everyday I use a "plastic" paddle holster with integrated lock made by blackhawk (I think it is called the SERPA holster). It is probably the most comfortable paddle (convertable to belt) holster I have worn... which is odd since it is plastic and I am a fan of leather.

I also have a leather pancake holster which is pretty comfortable too.

I never did much like IWB holsters as it stretches your pants out, and can be quite uncomfortable if the weapon is sticking into you, but I have heard good things about the Tucker "Answer" IWB. It looks good and has good reviews but it is over a hundred bucks for that sucker... maybe one day when I have an extra hundred or two lying about LOL...

In fact, head over to the Tucker Website.

http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/tugu.html

They got quite a few different options.

When I was in LE I tried a crap load of holsters and wound up with a good leather shoulder holster(GALCO) (I tried the nylons and find the good leather one's easier to conceal). I could wear it over a t-shirt and under an aloha shirt. The most comfortable form of carry I could find and actually is quite concealable. It was easy to grab and go too.

The thing with tension holsters is I noticed if I have the tension screw too tight the damn gun is stuck in there... and if it is too loose it could pop out during a wrestling match... I suppose you have to balance the odds on what you would be doing.

Sometimes I think it is psycological. When I use the tension holster I occasionally check it by brushing it with my hand or arm (odd since I 'KNOW' it's in there but still have to check LOL). When I use the thumbsnap pancake I never have to check it...

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 15:45 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
If your like me and your belly hangs over your belt it's almost impossible to find a concealment holster that's comfortable, I have gotten so fed up with getting jabbed I mostly carry my little 25 in my pocket when I'm not working.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 16:20 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
For me, the holster depends on the weapon.....auto vs wheel, snub nose, 4 inch, 6 inch ?

Shoulder, cross draw, hip or ankle ?

Alot of companies are making really, really powerful compacts...H&K 2in autos, Glock autos, Kimber's ultra cdp is very lightweight and compact...I love it..I carry it often as my off duty weapon. I carry a glock .40 model 22 in a open top paddle holster made by Fobus for my official duty weapon...it's hi cap, rugged, and basically inexpensive...if I get into a shooting I lose the weapon to the police for the shooting investigation and it could literally be years before I ever got it back..if then. So I'd rather lose it than the Kimber to forensics.

So for me I use 2 types of holsters: Fobus open top and a nylon vertical shoulder rig...which I am not crazy about. It is irritating, uncomfortable, and difficult to deal with. I too prefer leather and I had found a Galco vertical rig with a double mag pouch that I liked but it was sold out from the factory due to the war. They told me it was on back order for 6 months.

My next weapon purchase will probably be Ruger's new Alaskan revolver..a snub nose .454 which I would probably carry in an ankle holster as a back up.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 18:45 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thank you for your input, Gentlmen.

I checked out some more Kydex, leather and various holsters today, but each one seemed to really bulge out.

The CQC Serpa (that Don mentioned) is one I'd like to try, but I haven't found any retail outlets that carry em. That unit is open top, carbon composite, and has a retention system built in.

I use a Miami Vice Classic from Galco, but, while very comfortable and accessible while driving, it still prints depending on how I'm standing or leaning.

My existing holsters so far seem to be the best for concealability, but I'm still in the market for something new.

Ruffin: a .454? Isn't that like a really monster round? Didn't James Caan's character in "Alien Nation" switch from 9mm to .454 when a full clip didn't stop the threat?

If it is the one I'm thinking of, that will leave a mark :wink:

Also, you 100% on target with the personal carry versus duty carry in terms of losing your weapon in the even of an incident. I will be picking up a Glock 22 for field use and keep the 17 & 26 for cocealed carry.

Thanks Again,

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 19:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey Rex,

Before you pick up another glock... try out the springfield xd. They make them in multiple formats.

I personally have the XD 40 both in service (4inch) and compact (3inch) and a walther p22 for truly concealable carry (usually when I don't feel like straping on something heavy LOL, goes really good with my painter shorts).

I have used quite a few different handguns (my original was a ruger gp100 357). Off duty I used to carry a para ordinance p-12 single action forty five. Loved it but the only thing I did not like was the super fat double stack 45 grip. I prefer the thinner single stack forty fives. I've also had a kahr 9mm (nice gun but I do not really like the 9mm... too much penetration too little stoping... prefer the 45 but also like the 40.)

With this in mind I was going to the gun shop to pick up a glock (lots of my friends in LE were going to it or the Sig but the glock is a bit smaller).

While there I saw a really nice springfield single action sub compact 45 (a thing of beauty... sorry but I appreciate a well put together weapon, bladed or otherwise). It was priced at 900 dollars with xml light included - it was the newer model 45 with the light rail built in.

I almost bought it but wound up, at a friends suggestion, playing with the xd-40. I confess I prefered the grip of it over the glock as it resembles a single stack 45 grip complete with built in grip safety. The top slide reminds me of a sig and it even incorporates the glock triger safety.

After much hemming and hawing (LOL) I wound up purchasing both the sub compact 40 and the service sized 40.

I do not know if it is still available but at the time they sold it in a kit with three magazines each and a fobus paddle holster. With all of that stuff both pistols cost me about what it would have cost for the single 45 (though soon as I have a spare thousand LOL I'm gonna buy me one of those new springfield single action 45s).

I have put over 500 rounds a piece through each, even some plus p loads and they performed flawlessly. I should have noted groupings and yardages so I could relay them but let me say it shot quite well... good enough for govt. work LOL (actually a bit better I'd say). I still use federal hydroshoks as my preferred ammunition (old habits die hard I guess...). As for on the range, the cheapest 40s I can find LOL... no jamming as of yet.

Coupled with Springfields outstanding reputation and warranty I am happy with my purchase.

The only bad thing I can say is that the older finishes on the pistol is not the greatest, meaning if I do not wipe it down with a light coat of oil and I wear it a lot then it get's that fine rust mist, which comes off easily enough.

I hear the newer ones have a better finish (more like the black t I think.. in any case much more durable and no problem like I mentioned, I hear that sprinfield will redo my finish with the new one for no cost if it gets bad enough, but it hasn't so I have yet to try that out)

I put on a fiber optic front sight on my compact and finger extensions on my magazines for it. I am thinking trijicon sights later but I kind of like that fiber optic.

On my service I put a 20 pound wolf spring and stainless guide rod... makes it shoot pretty smoothly (it did fine without it but a lot lighter with the new spring making follow up shots a lot faster and more acurate)... I could go as high as 22 pounds I hear (18 is stock I believe) but they were sold out of 22 at the time LOL...

I tend to carry the subcompact more than anything... and I keep my service in my little brinks lockbox with my p22 (when not in use).

That serpa holster is one of the only plastic holster I actually like... the fobus that comes with the springfield I find to be uncomfortable as a paddle.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Last edited by thebishopp on Thu 22 Sep 2005 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 19:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
I know that i will get blasted for this but i carry all the time and i use a Yaqui Slide and i have used it for years. My weapon is a S&W Model 457 in 45 cal

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2005 19:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I like the yaqui holsters, a nice simple design which works just fine. Galco makes a nice one in the 50 buck range and I think gould and goodrich makes one in the 30 buck range.

For belt holsters it is one of the most concealable while maintaining a degree of comfort (in my opinion), let's it ride close to the body so less of a print... my paddle holster (both the leather and the serpa) shows more than the Yaqui does I like Yaqui holsters more for single action pistols though and probably will get one if I ever buy that 45 I want.

Though I will say I like the more "secure" holsters in certain situations.

In the end though no matter what holster you get one must be intelligent in it's use. No matter how hi tech the holster it can't protect one from carelessness.

I remember a Cpl. Blackwell who was holstering his sidearm into his duty holster (a smith and wesson sigma... I disliked that pistol immensley... crap construction in my opinion) which was an open top "security" holster... (the weapon locks into it and in order to draw it you have to twist slightly and pull up in order to release it... not a bad holster).

Anyway, the pistol goes off while another officer (who is telling us the story the same night it happened) was putting the prisoner into the back of the cruiser. The bullet strikes the ground and richochets away but some pieces of the concrete strike the arresting officer in the leg causing to him to beleive he was shot so he goes running around in circles yelling he has been shot LOL (he didn't think it was so funny but we were all dying of laughter at this point).

The Cpl. tried to say that the weapon or the holster must have malfunctioned LOL, but the only way we could replicate it (the training sgt did a bunch of tests of the pistol and the holster) was if tthe Cpl has his finger on the trigger (a no no unless you are about to shoot) when he tried to holster his weapon thus causing the weapon to discharge.

- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Sep 2005 08:52 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I have to admit that I am ignorant of the XD 40, but I'll be on the road again today and make some stops to investigate this further.

I have a P-12 as well, Don. Like you indicated, it is very thick on the bottom end but an overal good sidearm.

I heard an unconfirmed rumor that one agency switched from Berreta 92s to Glock 17s, but the switch was short lived due to a spat of accidental discharges.

One of my co-workers, back when the stadard issue was the S&W 686, brought a .45 to work and shot his foot. He claimed mechanical failure, but Admin didn't buy it resulting in time off for use of an unauthorized weapon.

As an MP, I noticed a new hole--about the size of a .45--in a wooden desk, and I didn't make any further queries :wink:

David, I'll try to run down Yaqui holsters per your valued opinion.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Sep 2005 09:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
I would like to stress a point on the Yaqui Slide if i may, It i my opinion should not be used in Tactical situations, I like others here run a business other than BE, i am dressed in business attire or business casual most of the day and find this type of holster works well for me. As Don has stated above a more secure holster is best used in certain situations.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion