General question for other P.I.'s or skiptracers • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: General question for other P.I.'s or skiptracers
 Post Posted: Thu 09 Jul 2009 14:38 

I have been in business for going on 5 years, and the whole time we have been in the auto reposession/skiptracing field. I recently made a decision to offer our services to the public. I have done some surveillance cases, many background checks, asset searches, employment... etc... I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get my name out there; I have gotten magnets for my car, done marketing through myspace and other sites. Left business cards at various places. Is the P.I. field in public demand now.?? You think alot of people have someone they need to find, or infedility problems, etc... But there just hasn't been the flow. We are doing great in the field we are in now, but I was looking at using my P.I. license to the extent of my capabilities.
Thanks in advance.
Chris Lindholm

Post subject: Re: General question for other P.I.'s or skiptracers
 Post Posted: Thu 09 Jul 2009 16:39 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Face to face, upfront with all your credentials easily checked, good, clean references that can be contacted and a track record of what you have been doing related to this field in the past. Character, first impressions, honesty, no BS all matter... anyone that has been in this or closely related business for any time at all will be able to pretty much tell where you are coming from... and keep stopping back on the ones that impress you... there are two sides to the interview... you also will make decisions on who you want to work for.... dress appropriately and check your attitude at the door. The fewer phone calls you make, the better... as said... face to face IMHO matters most.

Most successful people in this business will very likely already have close associates doing what you are interested in doing.... and the fact that good help is hard to find means that most of us stick with the ones that have proven themselves... this provides newbies with a very hard sell to most but keep up the contact and if they get tired of looking at you, and you impress them enough... they may try you on a small job... which is where we all start and will lead upward.

This is basically related to BEA work... PI work is a different field and I am sure you will get some advice from the flock on FRN... I will tell you this.......... advertisement does work.... phone books, newspapers, websites, etc.... and handing out cards does work.... IMHO

Good luck.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 09 Jul 2009 19:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Try marketing directly to attorneys. Remember that you must impress the gateway, which is usually the secretary or office manager. I use living business cards, coffee cups, they are non-gendered and they are always in use on the desks and your name is always in front of them. Start out with process service and prove your worth one step at a time. Remember to not be the cheapest guy out there, I regularly charge double what my competition does and I have the work. The high price also keeps out the tire kickers who will just waste your tine and ask for free advice.

Best of luck,

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sat 11 Jul 2009 09:11 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2746
Network with the people who can give you work, other than members of the public. Contact your local newspaper to see if they will run a story about you.
Mine gave me the front page and a huge write up, it generated a lot of business for me.
Always be professional, one small job can lead to many larger jobs. never underestimate the part that word of mouth plays.
Dont go after work that you are not experienced in doing. If you are a new BEA dont go to the bail companies telling then they should give you work as you can blow their regular guys out of water, because if they do give you a skip and you prove that you dont know your ass from your elbow, you will look silly. And they wont use you again.

Tel: 865-389-3261

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion