9's, .40's and .45's ..Oh My • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post subject: Re: 9's, .40's and .45's ..Oh My
 Post Posted: Tue 05 May 2009 12:57 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2716
Experience: < 3 years
Ok, I can't pass this up...

Two things.

First, in order to be effective with a firearm, you have to be proficient. You can't be proficient with a firearm if you're not comfortable with it. Find something that fits your hand, and that you can draw a good sight picture with. And then, practice your ass off!

Second, stopping power is synonymous with shot placement. You will NOT effectively stop a threat if you cannot place your shots in the "kill zone". (See point No. 1) It's not so much the size of the hole, but where you make it.

Just another opinion...

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Post Posted: Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:28 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Proficiency is important, but also what you're comfortable with shooting. It always amuses me to see people go out and for their first weapon by a "hand cannon" or other large bore pistol, and not be able to accurately place follow-up shots due to the recoil or it's too cumbersome to control. Another factor is the user's comfort with the safety or de-cocker; knowing where they are and can manipulate them without much effort.

Someone had a good point earlier on in this topic (and I'm sure it has been addressed again) but to again hit upon it due to its importance: If you draw your weapon it should only be drawn to de-escalate the situation (rules of engagement, escalation of force, etc.), if you have to use it then it is to NEUTRALIZE THE THREAT. Not "kill", "maim", or "destroy", to neutralize. I'm glad to see that got picked up earlier and I wanted to reiterate the importance of wording yourself in case you find yourself in such a situation.

Personally I carry different calibers for different situations, normally a .45 Kimber Ultra Carry II or Desert Warrior because I am comfortable and proficient with both. Not due to the caliber, but because they are comfortable to carry, easy to use, and highly reliable. For competitions though I prefer my Glock or XD due to the magazine capacity and I like .40 caliber rounds because I can carry more, thus reducing my reloads and subsequently decreasing my time on the course.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
M4, Ben.....I like the M-4

Just kidding :D

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 23 Jun 2009 12:17 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

*Sigh*, "Santa? For Christmas can I have an LWRC in a 6.8 SPC with a 10.5" barrel and SureFire quick-detach suppressor?"

If only things were this easy...don't forget, I also run an FN PS-90 with the defensive rounds, but that's overkill and strictly for zombies...yes, I said it, zombies, THEY'RE COMING!

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Wed 24 Jun 2009 11:46 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Friggin' zombies... I hate zombies.

http://www.addictinggames.com/endlesszo ... l?cid=YSSP

Click on play after the Cartoon Network commercial ends.

Last edited by bail_maker_582 on Wed 24 Jun 2009 13:30, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed 24 Jun 2009 12:35 

i have to disagree. if im forced to shoot someone, i am killin. if its that serious that means i was in fear of my life and that sucks for you.

Post Posted: Wed 24 Jun 2009 14:12 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I'm so glad I no longer have to be politically correct.

You can call the "act" whatever you want... Kill, neutralize, stop, whatever, the bottom line is this. If we do what we're trained to do, properly and effectively (center mass and triple tap, or whatever technique you use), the end result will most likely be that someone will die. Period, end of story.

If you're not mentally and emotionally prepared to accept that possibility, then you're not ready to work in a profession (this or any other) where you may be called upon to counter deadly force with deadly force.

'Nuff said.

Post Posted: Wed 24 Jun 2009 14:35 

as for wording, a pretty damn good attorney told me how to word it.

i was in fear of my life. i want my attorney.

say nothing else. period. anything you say wont help and will hurt.

Post Posted: Wed 24 Jun 2009 15:17 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

When I was living in Virginia my roommate had a house party. This was in a very rural part of VA and with that being said, the "friend of a friend of a friend who can vouch for that guy" showed up. After a couple hours of drinking and becoming increasingly belligerent we kicked him out, only to have him start a fight, knock someone out, and threaten to stab someone with a broken bottle.

His girlfriend managed to get him outside but he wanted to come back in and finish what he started, citing that we were a bunch of (well I can't say that word on here). I volunteered to be the sober one that night in case anyone needed a ride, so when I realized what was going on I grabbed a Rossi .357 Magnum and my cell phone. The dispatcher was able to get everything on tape as I continued to give him verbal commands telling him if he came any closer I would shoot him.

His girlfriend had the sensibility to drag him into the car and get off my property, only to be stopped a minute from the house by several deputies who arrested him for a slew of charges, one of which was violating probation. The point of this story is that I wasn't implying if you have to shoot try not to kill them - and unfortunately in this day and age you have to be politically correct. I had every intention of placing two well-aimed shots center mass if he took one step closer. I was in fear not only of my life but those around me. However, if I had to testify in court why I had to shoot him (thanks to the overly PC world we are in), I would say to neutralize the threat, because that was exactly I was doing. How can a dead man stab someone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion