Fugitive Recovery in Nashville, TN • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Fugitive Recovery in Nashville, TN
 Post Posted: Sun 03 May 2009 19:50 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Was looking around the site and found a post stating that the fugitive recovery business is real slow here in Nashville and surrounding areas. Is that true?

Dave

"Keep your head down"

Post subject: Re: Fugitive Recovery in Nashville, TN
 Post Posted: Mon 04 May 2009 12:57 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2567
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I know that it has slowed some in Knoxville, but not to the point that you can't make a living. A lot of company's have tightened up on their writing agents which is good thing. But there is still plenty of work if you are willing to work.

Jacksboro, Tn 37757
(865)223-2049
Tn P.I Lic # 6495 / 1609
T.C.A.40-11-301 Compliance Card
Member NAIS,NLLI,TPIA,USAPI,TACDL

Post Posted: Mon 04 May 2009 15:04 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Shoot I know I am willing to work my butt off. I just have to get my certification in July and I will have to find someone to hire me on.

Post Posted: Mon 04 May 2009 19:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
It's slow everywhere not just in TN. Summer coming and you'll get busy fast.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Mon 04 May 2009 22:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
AWOBB wrote:
It's slow everywhere not just in TN. Summer coming and you'll get busy fast.

I agree. Spring and Summer, particularly now that gas prices are down, are the times when more people are out on the roads and more arrests are being made. There are a lot of DUI's, but also more warrants are served as people are stopped for other traffic violations that turn into more serious charges, and other warrants are found. It is common here for LE to ask for ID on every person in the vehicle, not just the driver. Many warrants have also been served on passengers. It is also common when LE gets called to a residence or public place to run ID's. Again, more warrants served. The more arrests, the more bonds written. For weather-based seasonal workers, more have the money to pay a bondsman, so more bonds are written.

Bail is a very complicated business. It is dependent on the economy, but also on many other factors. Many bondsmen are in and out of business within a few months or a couple of years. These are the ones that get greedy and write careless bonds. They can't afford to pay a BEA, they don't have the experience or knowledge to collect on or apprehend their own bonds, and they can't pay the forfeitures. Either their county, state, or insurance company puts them out of business.

Many of the larger, more experienced bondsmen have in-house agents on salary. The other small independents like me that survive are careful of the bonds that they write, so seldom have jumpers. The ones that we have we personally deal with, and seldom have the need for an outside agent other than to assist with the very few that completely refuse to cooperate. I still do all the research, so only hire muscle to accompany me when I finally have to go door knocking.

I don't do a lot of outside BE anymore, but most of the few times I do so, I either find the person or they hear that I am looking for them and call their bondsman to come in. Everyone has a few failures, but when your success rate and reputation supercedes those, you will get the work as it is available. It takes a lot of hard work to build a reputation that precedes you, but once you do, you are set. It's just getting a start, and getting your name known in your area that is very hard. Ironically, the best reputation that you and your bondsman can have comes from the defendants that you have apprehended. If you have a reputation for success, and it is known that a particular bondsman uses you, the bondsman will gain your reputation. Inmates share information, and if it is known that a particular bondsman has a BEA with a high success rate of recovering skips, the bondsman will get better bond calls.

That is good and bad for recovery. In some cases we work ourselves out of business, but at the same time, some bondsmen will write more risky bonds because they know our experience rating is so high that they have confidence in us. Like I said, it is very complicated. Those who do the research, understand the complexities, and accept them doing what it takes to be successful are the ones that ultimately do succeed. Even those know the difficulties and are diversified in what they do for those slow times.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Wed 06 May 2009 10:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Are businesses still laying off?

Are businesses still closing?

Are governments laying off?

Are forclosures still going up?

Are jails releasing inmates early?

Are cops citing more people?

Are cops not bothering to write paper at all on minor cases?

Gas prices in CA are climbing. Hey, Memorial Day is coming!

If so, then the economy is still bad.

So will more people resort to crime? Maybe. But who will have the money to bail them out?

This is not the time to change careers. If you already have a job, KEEP IT!

Post Posted: Wed 06 May 2009 12:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Great advice Tony..... :wink:

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Fri 08 May 2009 20:37 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

roched99 wrote:
Shoot I know I am willing to work my butt off. I just have to get my certification in July and I will have to find someone to hire me on.

Did you miss the registration for the May class?

I am hoping to mentor with a local BEA/Bondsman after my certification and he's told me pretty much the same thing in my local area that most bail agencies have their own people, but in Chattanooga and Knoxville there is work to be had, if you can contact the right people. Right now, if I can make a decent reputation for myself I know of one BEA who has a list of 15 skips in a projects area that he is pursuing so there is work if you are willing to put the work in.

Cell # (423)506-6762

Post Posted: Sat 09 May 2009 12:30 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Actually looking at attending the July 17th class in Jackson, TN. We, my wife and I, just had a baby girl this month so won't be able to do the class for May. So, that is the plan for now until something comes up. I do look forward to getting my certs. but will do fugitive recovery as a side job I suppose. Got alot going on right now until my schooling is over with. Have one more quarter and then I get my degree in Criminal Justice. May persue this after all is said and done but still get certified in July so I have my certs.

David Roche
Madison, TN

Post Posted: Sat 09 May 2009 18:27 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Well it is closer for you anyway in that area. Congratulations on the new baby! Do remember this though: In some states, if not all, you cannot be a BEA or Bondsman if you are a peace officer. That's if you plan to pursue a full time career in Law Enforcement.

Cell # (423)506-6762

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion