used police car • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: used police car
 Post Posted: Wed 08 Apr 2009 07:25 

does anyone know where is the best place to get a good used police cruiser at? 2004 to 2007 ford crown vic want blue or silver less than 80,000 miles on them. prefer silver with door spot light.

Post subject: Re: used police car
 Post Posted: Wed 08 Apr 2009 10:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Hundreds are on eBay Motors or CopCarsOnline out of Florida.

Post Posted: Wed 08 Apr 2009 11:22 

thank you for that info.

Post Posted: Wed 08 Apr 2009 11:30 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Mark,

Check with local pd's and s.o.'s. they often auction off their out of service patrol units for almost nothing. You wont find any at the 80k mark very cheap....they are going for anywhere from $6k on up..minimum.

Unless you find some that have been wrecked....if it's just the rear area or quarter panels, that's easy enough to repair. If its front damage..don't risk it.

Also, check with the ABC Board State auctions....for whatever reason those guys always have top of the line crown vics that get rotated out fairly quickly. That auction is in Montgomery.

Another option: Buy a Mercury Grand Marquis that has a geat body...but dead engine; Next buy a late model Mustang w/5.0 turbo charged engine..then place that engine in the Marquis and you have a Ford police interceptor cruiser.

You can find older Marquis' for around $2500 or so; You can order late model, rebuilt Ford Mustang engines/transmissions for also around $1500-$2500 then go from there. As for colour...hey that's what Maaco is for...$300 paint job and you're out the door.

Always more than 1 way to get things done.

Post Posted: Thu 09 Apr 2009 09:58 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I would have given you the number to my police department but they sell all the cars around here to the Georgia bootleggers... :shock:

However, here is some info that might help you................

I copied and pasted this so I do not guarantee any of the stuff here... only list it for your info...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
By eHow Cars Editor

How to Buy an Old Police Car
Old police cars can be a huge deal for savvy buyers. These cars normally have heavy-duty shocks, breaks and engines. However, these cars may also have seen a lot of overuse and may not be in the best condition.
Instructions
Step1
Go to a police car auction or a website like Used Police Cars. Police car auctions are usually widely advertised in newspapers and in the media. In these sales, cars that were seized in criminal investigations are auctioned. Check the listings for any old police cars that might be up for auction as well. Used Police Cars is a website that lists former police cars for sale. You can peruse their stock on the listings.
Step2
Check that the police car has been stripped of any indication that it is still a police vehicle. It is illegal to impersonate a police officer. You don't want to get in trouble for appearing to drive a police vehicle.
Step3
Ask the seller if the police car you are viewing was an officer car or a department car. This can make a great difference in the condition of the car. An officer car is owned by a single officer and taken home and used in his spare time. While not always the case, it is possible that one of these cars will be better cared for than a department car as the police cruiser is one of an officer's primary forms of transportation.
Step4
Determine whether the department was large or small, if the police car was a department model. Smaller forces will have been shared by fewer officers and may be in better condition.
Step5
Take the old police car to a trusted mechanic for an inspection before buying it. Just because the car formerly belonged to a municipality, county or state doesn't mean the car is in tip-top condition.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE THAT YOU MAY FIND INFORMATIVE: It is lengthy but I think interesting on the subject.

Mark R Gittelman is an ASE Master Technician With more than 24 years experience in the automotive repair business. For more free automotive information visit his car questions web site. Or you can go straight to the car auction page to find out more about land based and internet car auctions.

Police cars for sale are easy to find and are a great value. Police cars usually go for reasonable prices at GSA auctions because of the supply and demand scenario.

In this article I am going to discuss police car auctions and gsa auctions. GSA is an abbreviated term for general service administration or better known as U.S. government auctions.

But lets start with a subject I enjoy. I love to buy and drive old police cars (like the blues brothers). Why do I like police cars?
Well I have worked on many in my day and currently I am working on sheriff dept and county vehicles. A police car is built with heavy-duty parts.

This is what I love about buying old police cars. You get well-maintained vehicles with heavy-duty parts.

First what parts are heavy duty. Well this varies from each manufacture. But in most cases we are talking about heavy-duty belts, hoses, beefed up suspensions with heavy-duty power train components and heavy sway bars, links, shocks and commercial grade floor mats instead of carpeting.

The vehicle is constructed for pedal to the metal performance and handling. My favorite police car of all time is the 96 Chevy caprice with the 9c1 package.

In my professional opinion this was the cream of the crop in heavy-duty police car manufacturing. The 1996 Chevy caprice police interceptor was built with the corvette LT1 engine with a 4 bolt main block and all the heavy-duty hoses and accessories that GM could find.

This police interceptor had 16-inch tires and Gm's 3.73 or even 4.11 positraction rear differential. The engine included gm's most powerful high-energy ignition system and dual exhaust to help let the LT1 350 V8 breath.

The electrical system was also upgraded with a high out put alternator, Gear reduction high torque starter and extra capacity dual battery's to help handle all the electronics you would find on a police car.

The package was very well balanced. It was fast and handled great. I have driven these cars many times and lets just say I would smile the whole time.

I worked for a Chevy dealership in 1996 and performed warranty repairs on these vehicles. I had a police officer tell me a great story.

His department had half crown vics and half caprices. When they would patrol on I 295 in New Jersey they would sometimes get into high-speed pursuit situations.

He described in great detail how he would blow by the crown vics that had wide open throttle with his caprice not even at 75% throttle.

The officers in this department would fight over the caprices and the loser's got the Fords.The caprice I speak of can still be found at some gsa auctions and other police car auctions.

The Chevy police car reached its peak in 1996 with the 9C1. Then Chevy got out of the police car game for a couple of years because they killed the full frame Chevy caprice all together.

This left GM with no police car platform. Ford dominated the market for many years. Gm has since got back in the game with its lame 6cyl Chevy impala. Now it's the Fords that blow by the Chevy's

Also Doge has come back into the police car competition with its hemi powered rear wheel drive dodge charger police interceptor. And Chevrolet has added a super charger to its underpowered entry. So we will have to see who winds up on top of the competition in the near future.

Gsa handles federal acquisition and procurement for equipment and supplies to various government agencies. Meaning they buy and sell the equipment that all levels of government use in the name of public service.

I have added a page to my website dedicated to the 9C1 Chevrolet caprice that includes videos of the cars in action and details of where to buy the best police cars for sale

Two websites you may want to check out:

http://searchwarp.com/swa143930.htm

http://www.auto-facts.org/policecar.html

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion