Question regarding Fugitive Recovery • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Question regarding Fugitive Recovery
 Post Posted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 20:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
As to the state agreeing to or paying for an extradition, it is usually up to the county DA to determine whether they are willing to pay for it. I have seen my local county agree to an extradition from CA, but a neighboring county refuse to pay for one from TX on the same size bond. The cost wasn't an issue since in the first case the bondsman had already paid the bond, and in the second, the county could have charged the bondsman for the extradition up to the amount of the bond, The extradition should have been the lesser amount.

I have been able to get felony warrants extraditable (that weren't previously such) in other states when I had the information to pursue them, and gotten permission to do the transport when the person got arrested in the other state, thus not costing the county or the bondsman anything if it was my bond, or any extra if it was for another. Everything is eventually up to the receiving county and/or your contract with the bondsman. My state allows me to also work for the DA in that he/she can hire me to apprehend a person, but that is on a case by case basis, and isn't the norm with most states.

I am in no way against a person legally making money. If a person is wanted, listed on a public website, and a reward is offered, anybody can provide information that causes the arrest, and expect to get paid for it based on how the reward is posted. That doesn't give any of us the right or ability to make an apprehension unless we have the legal ability to do so.

What you have to understand is the difference between working a business and getting a reward. I think you get that now.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Mon 23 Mar 2009 18:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Kathy wrote:
I have been able to get felony warrants extraditable (that weren't previously such) in other states when I had the information to pursue them, and gotten permission to do the transport when the person got arrested in the other state<<>> My state allows me to also work for the DA in that he/she can hire me to apprehend a person, but that is on a case by case basis, and isn't the norm with most states.

Kathy, are you saying that the DA District Attorney... can hire you to do a pickup??? and you are not LE?? You have a PI license, a bondmans license and a BEA license??? and you are also saying that in Colorado... you can get a felony warrant changed to extraditable if you have the info to pursue them?? What kind of info are you talking about?? That is way off the page in VA.... Just curious about this entire post... that is a lot of really interesting info you put up and I was just very curious about it.

Also, how do you, as a Colorado licensee, legally do a pickup and transport out of Texas for example?????

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 23 Mar 2009 18:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Check this out Tony, just this morning we get a call from the sheriff's dept. But first let me tell the story.

A girl is in FL with a felony warrant here in AL. She gets picked up there on a petty charge. The sheriff's dept. goes down there and brings her back. The judge charges the transport fee to her restitution and gives her a $2500 bond. We bond her on her charge. While on bond with us, she visits her father in TX and gets picked up on another petty charge. Misses her court date here while sitting out her time and our sheriff’s dept. goes and get’s her. Only this time, they get her while she is out on bond, so the judge orders US to pay $487 or forfeit the $2500 bond. ??? (I’m going to fight this of course for the umpteenth time)

So the state of AL doesn’t have to worry about the deficit, I think they have it covered on every end but their own.

Anniston, AL

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 11:49 
in memoriam

Hey Bill, CO doesn't have licensing for PI or BE. There is a course requirement for BE and it is up to the BA to confirm that the person meets the requirements. The only license is for BA.

I posted somewhere else that in CO the BA is responsible for paying extradition costs up to the amount of the bond on a forfeiture. Most felony warrants are entered extraditable for surrounding states. I have had a couple of times when they weren't put in that way, or I found them elsewhere. In those cases, I would go to the Sheriff and/or DA and ask if they would do so if I knew the state and/or area the SIQ was in. Then I would contact local LE agencies in the area and often get their cooperation in getting the SIQ arrested. Once they are in custody I go back to the Sheriff and ask to do the transport myself. He gives me the paperwork, notifies the other county that I am coming, and all I am out is my time, gas, and paying somebody to roll with me.

Here is the info regarding working for the DA:

http://www.dora.state.co.us/insurance/B ... 102507.pdf

• The bill also allows the District Attorney to contract out for the collection of forfeited recognizances and pay for such services out of the money collected.

Here is the actual statute:

20-1-103. Collect forfeited recognizances.

It is the exclusive duty of the district attorney to provide for the collection of forfeited recognizances and turn the money so collected into the registry of the court declaring the forfeiture. In fulfilling such duty, the district attorney may contract with any person or entity and provide for payment of any fees and costs for the services of such person or entity out of such moneys collected.

That is something that most agents are not aware of, so don't pursue as a business opportunity. Note that it only covers "forfeited recognizances" such as PR or OR bonds and not other non-bail matters. Notice, this is CO law. I don't know if other states have anything similar or not.

Walsenburg, CO

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 15:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Jay,

Only $487 to get her from Texas to Alabama! That is cheap.

I heard that CA could charge the bail agent trhe cost of extradition. But, I have not found it anywhere in the pnela codes or found any case law on it.

I would gladly pay a couple grand to save paying off on a very large bond.

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 16:38 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Well mr. Raususken never did answer the question of why he is so intent on seeing this 1 particular individual re-apprehended, instead he danced around the question intentionally evading it. He also states that he is interested in entering the field, yet he hasn't asked any of the standard questions that newbies traditionally ask. Then, typical of exposed people who feel threatened, he does the normal expected next step, he tries to flip the discussion onto me and once again avoid the original question:

Why is he so bent on seeing 1 out of thousands of fugitives re-apprehended ? As usual there is obviously more to this story than he is willing to declare. That's fine. But instead of engaging in predictable human behaviours and psychological games, why can't he and others who come in here behaving similary, just be honest and upfront about thier motives ? Why all of the B.S. ?

Just rhetorical questions....

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 16:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Welp, first he will...... OH, you said "rhetorical". I was going to give answers
Attachment:
smiley_embarrassed.gif
smiley_embarrassed.gif [ 49.99 KiB | Viewed 7116 times ]

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 23:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2087
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT COWARDS DO!!

J.G. Marshall
MARSHALL FUGITIVE SERVICE
Lic. # 2008-392

Its the Irish in my mind that keeps me sane,
and the Irish in my heart that keeps me strong.

Post Posted: Tue 24 Mar 2009 23:53 
in memoriam

I think the original question was answered. The first person met another that bragged about his/her fugitive of justice status. The first person heard the bragging, and thought he might want to get involved, and become an agent that could make money chasing down a person that was a fugitive. He did a search, and joined this forum to research his options. Once presented with the realities of what was required to work our profession in his area, determined that the cost was more than the benefit, and told us that. I respect that position.

Our work is professional to us and we question those that we don't know. When we take the time to provide the correct information and ask the right questions, we will get the answers that will lead us as to how we properly deal with people. This person was uninformed, but once the proper information was posted, he had the info to make an informed decision.

Walsenburg, CO

Post Posted: Wed 25 Mar 2009 08:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I have ya'll beat! I had a defendant who jumped on my bond incarcerated in MO. The local Sheriff's Department refused to allow me to do the transport. The bill for two deputies to go from Montgomery County, MD to MO and transport the defendant back was $2700.00!

I had the defendant write her check (certified) directly to the court, and delivered to me for delivery. I sent her receipts for exoneration on the bond. Her lawyer thought I was ripping her off, until he received the itemized bill as I did from the Sheriff's Department, to include my request for authorization for transport and all previous precedents established from the many times I accomplished this before with no incidents.

Bill, in defense of Kathy, we have had the level of extradition raised to cover the state the defendant is located many times. The issue is money. We write a promissory note to the court agreeing to bear all expenses related to the extradition if they raise it, and at no cost to the court. We follow that up with a request to allow us to do the transport if the local PD does not allow us to leave with the subject, always adhering to the UCEA and the required Magistration process. We also state that we are insured, as well as our client and offer to provide proof of insurance should the court desire it. They are worried about mitigating liability and most states are self insured. We are able to demonstrate three policies deep prior to approaching the state should something go south.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion