Practical Martial Arts training? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Practical Martial Arts training?
 Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 11:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
RWB wrote:
New laws governing Michigan were passed last year, they just haven't been posted yet. I don't know exactly what they are, but I would consult with Steve F.

Quote:
Research the Michigan requirements

Yeah, the only source I checked was the infamous one that is always out of date but still gives ya something to look into... http://www.americanbailcoalition.com/ ... that's why I always, or usually always, preface my statements with... 'check the sources'... as above... hard to stay on top of these things so my info is always general and needs to be checked... thanks.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 12:34 

Quote:
I will tell you this.......... a tough street fighter will kick the karate kids azz everytime....

I dont know about the Karate Kid, I dont know much about Karate, but I do know alot of street toughs show up at the school we go to and the instructor lets one of the guys, including my 14 yr old, kick the shit out of them and they never come back.

If I had my picks of the arts, Jui Jitsu, Mauy Thai, Kickboxing and Judo would be the combo I would want to know. No more than I train, I know enough to take most local street toughs arms home for a trophy or make them go nighty night in short order.....

Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 18:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
alot of street toughs show up at the school we go to and the instructor lets one of the guys, including my 14 yr old, kick the <b>poop</b> out of them and they never come back.

I can only say there are exceptions to every rule. Your son and yourself are obviously quite talented and the toughs that frequent your dojo are obviously not what they think they are... but I still stand by my statements... and the only adjustment I might make is to change the "every time" to "most of the time"... that has been my experience over the years.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 07:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I, too, have taken many styles, techniques, forms, and/or concepts (which ever you prefer to call them) from the age of 4 to the age of 27, including Asian Art Combat (which is a Muay Thai based skill using "bladed" strikes, such as elbows, knees, fore arms), Judo, Isshin-Ryu, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Modern Army Combatives, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Hapkido, Tang So Do, Qwan Ki Do, Krav Maga, Marine Corps Advanced Field Combatives,...... and I may have left a few out. I have found that, as Bill states, knowing a very few technical moves ...... very well, is the best fighting defense in this industry. Being able to avoid the confrontation from the start is the best all around defense, as Ruffin has said. A fight is asking for unexpected trouble. I expect resistance but I never want to be in the same area for more than a few minutes. The longer you are there ......fighting, arguing, looking for the subject, talking to the neighbors, petting the dog, or drinking a Coke with the SIQs sister, the further away the subject can get and the closer HIS back up can get. If it comes to a take down situation, perfecting 2 - 3 five step tactical take downs could be your best bet ...... then move them to a secure area, quickly.

As far as being the best style ..... there is no best. Diferrent techniques are better for one than they are for others. After 3 years of "underground" MMA and 5 years with ACF (American Cage Fighting) I found Kung Fu to be the most useless form I had ever attempted to study ..... until I found my "junk" in the dirt while facing someonet that had only studied Kung Fu. I also have some people that are not comfortable with getting "up close" to an challenger, so Jiu-Jitsu would not be a good choice for them. A distance, kicking style might work better. So if I were to choose a "best" I think I would go with Kajukenbo. It combines ALL techniques together and teaches a "streetable" form of martial arts ..... somthing that even works in a multiple attacher senerio. Though I have not taken Kajukenbo (I have attempted to find someone that teaches it but Georgia seems to be to far East to find much) I highly recommend it for "true" street defense and combatives.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 10:13 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
I have been exposed, looked into, and on occasion taken some "crash courses" in basic restraints and take downs. However,for me, the most effective style of enforcement I prefer is the one called "Ching-Ching Pow"...

That's the sound of the slide of an automatic weapon being racked and aimed at a defendant....lol

Post Posted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 10:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Attachment:
smileybiglaugh2.gif
smileybiglaugh2.gif [ 32.49 KiB | Viewed 7382 times ]

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 16:49 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Been out for a few days so I apologize for not answering, first of all, and I hope this doesnt sound rude as it is not intended to, when I said excitement, I meant somthing more than the mundane life I live now, working in a department store selling electronics. I did not mean I wanted to go out, find and kick butts, as thats not the type of person I am. When I said excitement I was referring to the time spent researching and finding the fugitive, the process involved and the feeling I assume one feels when they apprehend a fugitive with, or without incident, I dont get any gratification at my job, I make minimum wage, and I dont feel as though I do anything influential or even good in this world. Excitment to me means making a difference, and doing somthing I enjoy. Not to say I know if I will enjoy it or not, I do apologize for not clarifying what I meant by "excitement" it was a mistake in wording on my part.

As for my record, I have no felonys, no misdemeanors, and only a few traffic citations, when referring to being DQd from being a police officer I meant that when I was a teenager I smoked alot of pot and experimented with a few drugs, all of which Ive not done since I was 16 years old.

Hopefully I've clarified everything, as I don't want anyone to get any wrong ideas about my intentions and aspirations, this career just seems like somthing more involved than sitting at an office for 8 - 10 hours per day and doing nothing gratifying, nothing meaningful to me and others.

Post Posted: Mon 23 Mar 2009 07:15 
in memoriam

Ok, if all that stuff happened as a teen, and you were never arrested or convicted, they why are you being told you are DQ'd from a career in law enforcement ?
My best advice to you is to become a cop, pull your 20, then retire with benefits and pension, then if you so desire, become a Pi/BEA.

Post Posted: Mon 23 Mar 2009 08:06 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I'm going by what the cops over at the "askacop" forum have told me, that during the lie detector/background check they ask about prior drug abuse and if you've used X drug(X being any drug in particular that is harder than pot) more than X number of times in the past then you will not be accepted as an officer, and I didnt see much of a point in going through the training just to be denied because of some bad mistakes I made as a teen.

Post Posted: Mon 23 Mar 2009 12:10 
in memoriam

That's bull manure.....

What the questions regarding your past are designed for is honesty and integrity.....You fill out the paperwork, you go for your interviews, then you go for your physical agility, then your lie detector test, then your psyche eval.

As you pass each phase you are advanced to the next one. You will be asked, more than once, about prior drug usage. As long as you are honest about it and pass the lie detector and drug tests, you're good to go, generally speaking.

If 1 dept has a hard line regarding a certain drug, then apply with a different dept that has more lenient policies. It's not rocket science, and there is a nationwide shortage of cops everywhere.

Another option is to send yourself to a police academy. Referred to as "Self POST Certification", available in most Southern States. Once you have your POST certification, then you can apply with different dept's. Start of small, then after a couple of years, move on to larger dept's that have more advancement opportunities.

This may require you having to move, but maybe that's best for you anyway, where no one knows you and you have a fresh start.

A third option is to enlist in the Military Police Corps. Pull a couple of years, get honourably discharged, then you have the GI bill to send yourself to a police academy, become certified, then you can write your own ticket. You'll be a combat Vet, have training and experience behind you, and you will be POST certified. Now you become extremely marketable to most major pd's/so's anywhere.

Don't let total strangers who give you idiotic and incorrect advice stop you from achieving your dreams.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion