? on Mi. Laws and an Apology • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: ? on Mi. Laws and an Apology
 Post Posted: Sat 31 Jan 2009 20:19 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 2008
Experience: More than 10 years
It was brought to my attention this morning and all of you practicing the art of bounty hunting in the state of Michigan probably already know, if you are not licensed to do so you are in violation of Michigan State Law. When the gentleman I was speaking to regarding this issue told me this, I pretty much blew him off telling him what I had read. Well I have since learned that I was misinformed by a website that had a law link on it. The link gave me information that was incorrect. So to set the record straight, I'm posting this here publicly.

1st. I want to apologize to the gentleman that was indeed giving me correct info.

2nd. For a site that wants to pride itself on doing good by its posters y'all should update the law link on this site. So the new people out there get the correct info. I understand this can be tasking but its gotta be done before someone takes it to heart and gets hurt, in trouble or, God forbid, kills themselves or worse yet someone else.

3rd. I am not trying to make waves here but I thought this should be addressed.

4th. If the gentleman that sent that message to me would please pm or e-mail me back I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: bounty hunter laws in michigan and a appoligy
 Post Posted: Sat 31 Jan 2009 21:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Laws change like the weather and some times we do not know until someone from the State let's us know. I think it is update once a year or so.

In this business do not take what is posted on a website as the gospel as it could be wrong or out dated. Always check with the appropriate state division that is in charge of Bailbonds & Recovery

Welcome

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Sat 31 Jan 2009 21:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Mr. Hoy,

There is alot of mix feelings on this subject. Some say that this only apply to PI's, some say that it applies to everyone. But I do know for fact that if you are licensed in your home state as a surety bail bondsman or a PI, you are okay to bounty hunt in the State of Michigan.

If you have more on this new law, please let us know. I have spoken to someone in the State's Department in Michigan about three weeks ago about this issue, plus I have spoken to one of my attorney's there also. The State of Michigan is just trying to cut down on the clowns running around up there playing cowboy's and Indians.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject: Re: ? on Mi. Laws and an Apology
 Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 07:12 

Im sorry, but something stinks here. You claim to be from Michigan. And you claim 10+ yrs experience. That means you have more experience than I. I am just a month away from my 10th yr in this business.

Now, I keep a firm finger on the pulse of the legislation of Missouri. Not just for laws passed, but laws that are being considered so I can try to stop it if I possibly can on bad things. The problem I have is someone that claims to have 10+ yrs experience is relying on whats on this websites law directory for his info on his home state? I find that very hard to believe.

Im guilty of sometimes using the directory for out of state, but usually either look it up on the DOI website for the state Im heading to and/or call a local bondsman where Im headed to check out procedures there before leaving home.

You may be legit and all you claim. But I have a problem with you not keeping up with your own states laws. If anything you should be posting, word for word, what your states laws are if this site has it wrong, to help all the NEW people out there.

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 07:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
AndyL wrote:
home state?You may be legit and all you claim. But I have a problem with you not keeping up with your own states laws. If anything you should be posting, word for word, what your states laws are if this site has it wrong, to help all the NEW people out there.

Andy, I understand where your coming from... I might mention that this fellow... according to his intro... just moved to Michigan from Virginia... no excuse I also concure... on relying on a website... regardless of how informed it may be... to obtain state laws... which do change frequently, however, in support of Mr. Hoy... he PM'd me and gave me a rather large list of Virginia associations he had made over the past years... I will say, at this point I have not checked them out but he did provide the names when "I questioned him about his Virginia affiliations" after he posted his experience in Virginia on his intro.

He may have just made a quick, however mistaken, reliance on FRN as being the main reference for BB and BEA laws... and of course we all know you always check sources, dates of info... and associations when checking anything out... especially where your legal standing and moves are involved.

That I believe is the point of your post... he jumped before he looked, which I also agree, may be a flaw that needs immediate 'fixin'... especially in our rather interesting businesses, where legal issues arise on a daily if not minute by minute basis and individual state laws differ widely and are changed frequently...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 07:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
AWOBB wrote:
cowboy's and Indains.

You know mispelled words irritate me.... :roll:

so........... what the hell is an indain??? :D :D :D

come on Steve... you supposed to be da main man here.... Indain??? I am appalled at your grammar.... your entire post is ruined by this one mistake???? No one will remember the content of your message... and you live close to Cleveland and you misspelled Indian???

gimme a break :oops: :oops: you know I'm watchin' you...............

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 09:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
speezack wrote:
AWOBB wrote:
cowboy's and Indains.

You know mispelled words irritate me.... :roll:

so........... what the hell is an indain??? :D :D :D

come on Steve... you supposed to be da main man here.... Indain??? I am appalled at your grammar.... your entire post is ruined by this one mistake???? No one will remember the content of your message... and you live close to Cleveland and you misspelled Indian???

gimme a break :oops: :oops: you know I'm watchin' you...............

Bill, it's called old age.... :mrgreen:

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 09:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I am not from Michigan, do have a recovery in the UP from there, but specifically recall a heated discussion on here not too far back regarding the interpretation of the new law. So, while the state laws lookup maybe out dated (I don't recall the moderators getting paid a dime) the referenced discussion was timely.

We are all responsible for what the laws are in our back yard. Laws are often up to interpretation by judges, hence often the need to consult your own attorney if something is vague. I have always consulted and printed the current posted laws on state judicial websites to document my research before venturing off to another state. If something changed and their own state issued website is not current, I have a defense.

There is no substitute for proper preparation.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 10:56 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 2008
As I stated, I have many yrs. in this field but I have been out for awhile and all are correct, any one that doubts my experience I would gladly give them references as I have with the other gentleman. This post was not to induce arguement's or such. What I will do though is send either an e-mail if possible or a hand written letter to the State of Michigan Attorney General asking him to write an opinion on his interpretation of the new law. This way we all can get some clarification on it. He's the only one in the state that can untangle the mystery of the law as it is written. I'll post his opinion on here when he releases it, not sure how long that usually takes though.

Post Posted: Sun 01 Feb 2009 12:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Mr. Hoy,
Your response and offer to follow up with the state AG is commendable.

scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion