The English Language • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: The English Language
 Post Posted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 19:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
HELLO, my name is Jay, and I’m a misspellaholic… it first started when I wuz in kindergarden. U know tha ruteen, nose on tha dot on tha chalkboard, in tha corner, getting racked wit tha ruler… I just couldn’t get it. But one day, I found colledge, it tought me and gave me hopes… Drinkin, parties, girls, tought me tha tru things in life… So now my misspellaholic problem is more in control. I live a happyer and more full of it(oops got one)more fulfieled life thanks to tha ppl at “Google stop spellin stupid”.

My name is Jay, and I’m a misspellaholic, thank yo pplz…

Anniston, AL

Post Posted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 20:13 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
No clue, Bill :? .

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 20:16 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Kitty
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

AO = Area of Operation

BEA = Bail Enforcement Agent

FRA = Fugitive Recovery Agent

SIQ = Subject in Question

CI = Confidential Informant

Any others, just ask. Do not be afraid to ask questions. For every question you ask is supported by ten more people afraid or just too proud to ask it.

Scott

Thanks Scott, are these slang terms or required for exams? :(

Post Posted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 20:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Hey,

I don't know what all the fuss is about. In a couple of anos, we may all be hablamos en espanol.

:twisted:

Post Posted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 21:23 

Tony, you talk like most of our roofers! :shock:

Post Posted: Thu 29 Jan 2009 07:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Tony, please translate. I have not learned Greek (and it is all Greek to me) :D . I will soon be allowed to learn all the languages that I would like; Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian and European), German, Romanian, Czech, Hebrew, Greek, Polish, Russian, Georgian, Croatian, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Farsi & Dari (all dialects of Arabic), Latin, Chinese (Including Mandarin), Japanese, and Korean will all be offered. Hopefully I will qualify to take them all (which is 110 out of 176).....Then I will do my best to do so. I know a fellow that has taken 14 languages in the past 8 years and it taking his 15th, now. He only made a 103, on the test but he said that once he learned the first all the other languages were easy. He also suggests that I take Latin and/or Georgian because all languages are derived from these two……but being that I have so much trouble with English, I may not need to get my hopes up to high.

Posting this in a separate thread, also:
I will be leaving for about 5 - 6 weeks, for some training, in a few weeks. I don't believe that I will have access to the internet so I will be absent during this time. Once I return, I will be taking my DLAB (Language Assessment) and leaving for the next available class in the language I qualify for or the one I choose, if I max the test. My plan is to max out my training days over the next year or so, so I will not be available, much of the time. I have well over 2000 hours worth of classes to take, in meeting the requirements for my goals. Fitting them all into as short a time as possible will be very demanding. My attendance on the forum will be limited; Hit and Miss.......Just wanted everyone to know. I ain't mad and my feelings aren't hurt.......I will be very busy with training. That’s all. I will post a message when I get my exact ship date. I will check in when I can.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Fri 30 Jan 2009 01:43 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
1) Screen Names: For this website as well as other professional networking industry groups, you should choose a PROFESSIONAL moniker. Believe it or not, you can lose business simply because of an unprofessional one. A potential client might shy away from you simply because they deem you unprofessional based on thier first impression of you which is your screen name.

2) Spelling/Grammar/Punctuation/Capitalization: The way a person writes is indicative of the kind of work product they will produce. If a person doesn't write professionally, doesn't take time out to utilize the spell check function available in most tool bars now, to consult a dictionary, to proof read thier posts, etc. Then this is an indication that they are not detailed oriented, they don't take pride in how they present themeselves, they are sloppy, and simply write in thier manner to "get the job done". If they have this attitude in writing, then it is a strong possibility this is how they are as a person.
So there is a theory that a person who writes unprofessionally may also conduct themselves unprofessionally which could lead to major liability issues for potential clients.

To further illustrate the vastness of this problem Nationwide, I recently saw on a news talk show regarding illiteracy in professional corporations which were now conducting internal professional business writing courses for thier employees. Please remember that everything and anything we write, including your fugitive case files, may be used in legal proceedings.

Also please remember that "You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression".

3) Purpose of FRN: The main purpose of FRN is for PROFESSIONALS of this industry to network with each other, discuss the industry trends/issues, etc. This is not a SOCIAL network such as MYSPACE, AOL, YAHOO, etc. Recently some new members have been treating FRN as such. If you desire to socialize in a more personal manner with a member, you can do so through pm's, e-mails, thier other listed links in thier profiles, etc. this is not to say that on occasions, member's do toss in off-handed comments from time to time. That is done in the spirit of Professional Comraderie.

4) POSTS: Please keep posts to current situations/issues. Recently several new member's have posted to articles that are no longer viable. I'm not referring to questions on re-curring issues or about equipment, procedures, laws etc. What I am talking about are making posts to articles just for the sake of making a post.

We strive for professionalism, excellence, integrity, honour, and quality of posts......not quantity.

Listed below is a link to an online dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Post Posted: Fri 30 Jan 2009 02:26 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I consistently work on ignoring spelling (give me a break, I almost made it to State competitions in elementary school). I always excelled in English, so have to force myself to ignore issues there, even though (as my SISTA does) I tend to write like I talk. I can accept that others do the same.

My problem is when people don't read the suggestions made, or ignore them, or further show some intelligence, then post something totally off the wall. I think everyone should show at least show some attempt at being coherent with the English language, then further use that knowledge and intelligence when making a post on a professional forum that they expect to be accepted on. Be consistent. Whether you have experience or not, be honest.

Various forums have various requirements, but at least on here, we tend to personally check a person's credentials and claims. We are who we say we are, period. How you post often makes or breaks a relationship between us, but it is more how we relate to each other that makes the final decision.

Claim what you want, but those of us that have been around the block know how to check on each other.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Fri 30 Jan 2009 06:18 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
Wow, I'm kind of dizzy after reading that thread. A little bit of everything in there--irony, truth, sarcasm, humor, seriousness, self-deprecation and correction.

Seems like this is kind of a theme with many of the senior posters. I can see where the frustration happens, and as a new poster, I am as guilty of the infractions as anyone else. I now a lot of "smart" experienced people that are horrible with language. I try not to judge them too much because their strengths often lie elsewhere, and most do try, to some degree, to be coherent.

The comment about OCD or even ADD for some.............likely has more truth to it than most of us (the ramblers) would want to admit...

Northland
Minnesota

MN #40202245
NSIN: BM0510
218-565-0459

Post Posted: Fri 30 Jan 2009 07:09 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
Just another comment or two and or question, that hopefully is appropriate here.

In reading many of the posts and "hearing" some of the frustrations, I've been thinking and wondering about a few things.

In this field, there is always going to be the cowboy, TV types that want to be cool and famous. We see the same thing with LEO/Military types, but their process has a better way of weeding them out before too much damage is done--at least most of the time hopefully.
Kind of the same concept, isn't it, with a forum like this? The new and un-trained are trying to figure it out. Some will have it, some won't. How does the forum weed and cultivate? How does one prove their credentials? Does being verified, with the lack of State regulating, really prove competency? Should a forum develop some type of vetting process, application process, or monetary cost to new interested parties, if you will, to mentor and train the serious and trainable?

With many States having little of no regulation per se, how can it be expected that problems and problem types won't show up? Someone mentioned in another the thread, that there is no money available for most of the BEA's to lobby, regulate, etc. If that is the case, then shouldn't some or most of this burden go back to the Bond companies and writers who at the end of the day are holding the liability?
Why would I hire an un-trained an un-disciplined person to do my bidding? Maybe I'm missing a lot here, but to me, it just doesn't make good business sense to have "Cowboys" running around making a bad name for the Industry.

Northland
Minnesota

MN #40202245
NSIN: BM0510
218-565-0459

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion