Orange County CA - Sheesh !!!! • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Orange County CA - Sheesh !!!!
 Post Posted: Thu 15 Feb 2007 16:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Inside an alleged bail bonds scheme
FRANK MICKADEIT
Register columnist
fmickadeit@ocregister.com My mistake. Joe Cavallo apparently has already tried his selective-prosecution defense – and has been shot down. I didn't realize this because the hearing on the subject was conducted in secret because it involved grand jury testimony. So yesterday, I sat in Judge Carla Singer's courtroom and went through the entire case file, getting a look at previously sealed documents that lay out an illegal scheme prosecutors say Cavallo and a bail-bonds company conducted to drum up business.

The two men who owned Xtreme Bail Bonds in Santa Ana pleaded guilty last week and will get four months in jail. Cavallo, who has pleaded not guilty, is supposed to go to trial in July. One of his lawyer's key arguments is that the D.A.'s Office selectively targeted Cavallo for his aggressive defense in the Haidl and Jaramillo cases. We'll get to that, but first let's take our most detailed look yet at the way the weirdly named crime of "attorney capping" supposedly worked in the O.C. Jail. The following is based on testimony by former inmates, as well as by former employees of Cavallo and Xtreme.

The process was initiated one of two ways, both illegal. One involved "cold-calling." Xtreme employees were trained to find the names of recent arrestees on the Sheriff's Department Web site and to hustle over to the jail to solicit business before the person could call another bondsman. The Web site also listed the crime. Those booked on domestic violence and first- and second-time DUIs were targeted – presumably because they were more likely to have money than, say, those suspected of drug crimes. The bond agents could arrive at the jail and ask for the inmate by name – the key that literally opened the door.

The other illegal method to hook clients called for using "tank workers." These were inmates who had been told by Xtreme that if they directed incoming detainees to Xtreme they would get to make free phone calls to people on the outside. Inmates can make only collect calls. So Xtreme agreeing to accept the collect calls and then setting up an immediate three-way conference call with an inmate's friend or relative amounted to a form of payment. One bond agent testified that Xtreme would also put money in tank workers' bank accounts.

Once a client was identified and bail arranged, he would be directed to an attorney. (This would be a good place to say that cold callers and tank workers are illegal in part because they prey on people at their most vulnerable. Attorney referrals are illegal because if a bondsman is directing clients to select attorneys, the defendant – again, vulnerable – is wrongly pressured to give up his right to find the best counsel possible. There's an incentive for a bond agent to direct clients to attorneys he thinks tend to plead out cases – the agent gets his bond back quickly – rather than take them to trial.)

Anyway, to pass the client to Cavallo, according to the testimony, the Xtreme employee sometimes dealt with the arrestee, sometimes with the person who was paying for the bail bond. There was a 14-point procedure each employee was to follow. Most of it was quite legal – making sure the person had the funds, etc. But point No. 14 on a printed sheet read simply, "Joe Cavallo."

What that meant, one Xtreme employee said, was at the very least referring clients to Cavallo and giving them one of his cards. But it might also involve driving clients or having clients follow them in their cars from Xtreme's offices near the Santa Ana Courthouse to Cavallo's offices off Red Hill in Irvine.

A woman named Anna Borihane testified that when she went to bail out her brother, one of Xtreme's owners, Jorge Andres Castro, offered to refer her to an attorney and then named Cavallo. "He said that Joseph is a really good attorney; he is really honest. He is fair with his rates, and he won't overcharge. And just to let him (Cavallo) know … that George referred me to him." When she repeated that to Cavallo, the attorney replied, "I know George." A response that on its own sounds benign, but then there were the business cards, the 14-point checklist and the chauffeur service to Cavallo's office. And one more thing: documentation of a $50,000 "loan" from Cavallo to the bondsman.

Tomorrow: In secret proceedings, Cavallo's defense attorney, John Barnett, argues his client was unfairly singled out for prosecution – and names about 40 other attorneys whose names or cards were given out by other O.C. bail-bonds companies.

Contact the writer: Mickadeit writes Mon.-Fri. Contact him at 714-796-4994 or fmickadeit@ocregister.com.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 15 Feb 2007 16:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Attorneys don't know of 'capping' list
FRANK MICKADEIT
Register columnist
fmickadeit@ocregister.com Part II of the bail bonds scheme attorney Joe Cavallo is charged in.

Yesterday: Jail "tank workers" and "cold-callers" steered inmates to Xtreme Bail Bonds, which allegedly sent them to Cavallo. Prosecutors say Cavallo kicked back one-third of his retainer back to Xtreme. He has pleaded not guilty.

I'll never forget John Barnett the first time Cavallo appeared in court on his indictment. Barnett's normally ruddy face was even ruddier and he seemed barely in control of his anger as he told the press he believed the D.A.'s Office was targeting Cavallo because he was an aggressive defense attorney and not well-liked.

We didn't hear much about it after that, as Barnett's motion to challenge the D.A. on the grounds of selective prosecution went behind closed doors. But at my request Tuesday, a clerk in Judge Carla Singer's 10th-floor courtroom tore open the envelope that had sealed Barnett's motion and handed me a packet about three-quarters of an inch thick. I went to the empty jury box and, while Singer conducted pre-trials in other cases, I read at my leisure.

The most interesting part of Barnett's pleading were declarations from a P.I. in Tom Davis' agency who had set up a sting. Posing as the relative of an O.C. Jail inmate, the female investigator approached several bail bond agencies and asked to be referred to a defense attorney. As I said yesterday, bondsmen are not allowed to do this because it leads to conflicts of interest that work against defendants' rights.

The P.I. approached four bond agencies and in each case received the names of attorneys, 37 in all. At three firms, it was just a name or two. At one, she was given a list of 32 attorneys. All this, Barnett said in the declaration, proves illegal "attorney capping" is rampant in O.C. and the D.A. usually ignores it.

The D.A. argued the P.I. reports don't show that attorneys paid kickbacks to the bondsmen, or even knew about referrals. So the cases, the D.A, said, are different from Cavallo's. Singer essentially agreed and denied the motion. Where we stand today is: Cavallo faces a trial in July and the two bondsmen who pleaded guilty Friday might testify.

Barnett told me yesterday his intent was not to imply the 37 attorneys did anything wrong. (That's one of the reasons he says he wanted the proceedings closed and objected to his motion being unsealed.) He simply wanted to prove that the D.A. never investigates lawyers for getting referrals – unless you are Joe Cavallo. Cavallo, he says, should have never even "come to the attention of law enforcement." If Singer would have allowed him to pursue that argument, he might have been able to prove the alleged kickback part of the scheme would have never been investigated and get the whole case dismissed. It hasn't been decided whether to appeal Singer's denial.

Back to the four bail bond companies and 37 attorneys. Erika and I called as many as we could yesterday. The list of 32 came from an employee at Glenda's Bail Bonds, the P.I. said. I called owner Glenda Stroobant, who was mortified. She's one of the strongest advocates of reforming what can be a seedy little corner of our justice system. It seems the list was derived from an online legal directory she also owns. She said her worker denied giving out the list but that if her investigation proves otherwise, "I'm going to have to take action."

Of the lawyers on the list we got to, all said they didn't realize they were on it. The best known is former O.J. prosecutor Chris Darden, who told me he's used Glenda's but never asked to be put on a list and has no financial deal with her. "I basically represent poor people, so I ain't giving up a third – I'm getting a third," he joked. I think that list is probably an honest screw-up.

As for the other three firms, typical was what the P.I. said happened at Respect Bail Bonds. A male employee wrote the names and phone numbers of two attorneys on the back of one of his business cards and gave it to the undercover sleuth. Bruce Bridgman, one of the attorneys named, told me, "I have nothing to say. I have never capped any cases. The fact some bondsman may have written my name on a card is news to me." Respect didn't return my call.

So does the D.A.'s Office investigate other capping cases? What did it do with the evidence Barnett presented? Following her office's policy of not discussing ongoing investigations, D.A. spokeswoman Susan Schroeder said, "We're taking a look at it, but I can't go into any details."

Contact the writer: Erika Torres contributed. Mickadeit writes Mon.-Fri. Contact him at 714-796-4994 or fmickadeit@ocregister.com.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 15 Feb 2007 18:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I suspect many bail agents give the name(s) of local attorneys to clients that ask for help. However, the difference in this case was that they were "working" off the "loan" that the attorney gave them. Also, these guys were "paying" inmates for referrals and soliciting clients in the jails.

Many other "lowly" reputable bail agencies do the same.

We have had many attorneys refer clients to our office. We however do not refer clients to attorneys. We have sent letters to attorneys letting them know we are located in their area and provide the "best" service in town! :D

The So CAL market is overflowiing with bail agents. Any knew agent coming into that area thinks that they have to do whatever it takes to get a slice of the pie. They discount, solicit illegally, pay finders fees and post bonds on inmates before talking with them or their families.

Usually they get caught or go out of business after a few large forfeitures! :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 15 Feb 2007 23:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Bail agents here are NOT allowed to refer or suggest an attorney to a bondee, but nothing in our state law prevents employees or other associates from doing so. I am very open in explaining this to any client that asks me for a referral, and have never (or will not ever) recieved anything, even a greeting card from attorney's who we have used for personal issues, or those who have been used by my clients.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage