Body Size and Weight • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Body Size and Weight
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 02:23 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Hi everybody my name is sean and i am wondering if your body size is a positive or a negative thing. Now i know that i am a big guy. I weight in at about 290. But i can carry my weight. i lift weights. I play sports including football basketball and baseball. and I ride everyday. i can run for a decent distance and am working on becoming a faster runner and the ability to run farther than i can now. I have always been a big guy and probably always will be. I was just wondering if jobs will turn me down because of my weight. Now i have seen a few big size fugitive recovery agents but i was just wanting to know if being a big guy is a bad thing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 06:24 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
In a simple word..."No".

The ability to capture fugitives is, in my opinion, about 90% mental, and only about 10% physical. There is an addage for our industry: "Work smarter, not harder". Getting inside your fugitive's head, profiling them, learning everything you possibly can about them: Favourite restaurants, hobbies, special interests, preferences in dating, job skills, etc. All of this information will guide you into formulating possible strategies for an effective apprehension.

Now, obviously there are some drawbacks to being large. It will handicap you in clearing buildings: Attics, crawl spaces, basements, small spaces in barns, silos, construction sites, etc. That is why when choosing a partner or team, 1 of your personnel should be smaller and thinner than you and more agile. Petite females are excellent for these kinds of operations. They are far more limber and lithe and basically act like a "tunnel rat".

But again that is dealing with more of the pursuit end of an apprehension, than the planning and execution of an apprehension. As stated above, if you know your fugitive inside and out, you can anticipate where they will be and when, then you can effect your apprehension without incident, thus eliminating any need for a pursuit or building clearing.

1 of my most successful strategies is to apprehend a fugitive at thier job. I find out where they work and when, then I do my LEO check in, then I go to the work place and talk to the HR person, they will normally call the employee into thier office and there you go. You have them trapped in a closed room and nowhere to go except right into your awaiting cuffs.

Others will voice thier opinions as well, and between all of the respected advice you may recieve, you can then formulate what works for you.

Take care and God Bless,

Post subject: big people
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 07:35 
in memoriam

Sean i to am a big guy braking 300 lbs at 52 years old (sometimes i feel 100 sometimes i feel 19) after 16 years nypd an 18 years as a bea i will tell you that being large has its advantages and disadvantages which again can be overcome by planning--mindtracker was right on the head when he says 90 percent of our apprehensions are non violent - good pre raid planning causes that ie closing off all escape routes-proper team work proper mix of people on the team good intel etc

my 24 year old sun is 297 on dead lifts 400 lbs an can sprint although he can not run distance one of my people is good for three miles at a dead run and knows radio communications so he can set us in the right spot to intercept the runners--learn good self defense skills and grappling and you will be fine and i am sure a valued team member--I call it tonnage most people do not resist when they see tonnage all around them

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 09:51 

Homework, as stated above is the key. The biggest part of the pickups I do are all but caught before I leave the office. Thats a good saying about working smart and not hard.

Im a big guy and it has its advantages and disadvantages, as stated above. Advantages are obvious should you have to manhandle anyone, although I dont run into that often. Most folks think that happens all the time, but very seldom do I have to get physical with anyone. I can count on one hand and have fingers left to count the number of times I have drawn a gun. Tazer and mace, yeah, seldom a gun. Small guys are good for crawling and running, but there again, if you do your homework well, you can make the situation to your advantage and avoid those as well, for the most part.

Work is a good place to catch people, if they work. A good part dont. I like to catch them in public also. If you have done your homework right, alot of times you can catch them at a convenience store or something like that. They arent likely to put up much of a fight in public either.

Having said all that, it seems every one is different. Learn something new every time out. I guess thats what keeps it fun! Honestly its not alot different than two of my other passions, hunting and fishing. You still gotta do your homework, figure out patterns and execute intelligently to be successful.

Andy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 19:30 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1343
The only concern I have had is that the gap on the sides of my body armor is a little larger than most people. And getting in and out of my chevy Blazer in a full duty belt without doing myself great harm is a challange. Other than that no problem. " "Let us all raise a glass of Slim fast to the big men."

Mark C. Cavendish is a Certified Fugitive Recovery Agent, P.O.S.T. Certified by the State of Colorado and registered with the Arizona Department of Insurance. Member of the National Surety Investigators Network #MC806, The U.S. Professional Bail Bond Investigators Association, and a Life Member of The U.S. Coalition of Bail recovery Agents "Cobra" Control # 1058. Serveing Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
phone 520.850.7490 24/7/365

"Sub Rosa"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 19:49 
in memoriam

I'm just another "old, fat, white guy, who is trying to earn a living". This is my standard quoate I give in TV & newspaper interviews. I conduct EVERY fugitive investigation like Ruffin described. I learn EVERYTHING I can about my target. I will decide WHEN & WHERE the re-arrest will occur, not the Skip.

I have been in the Profession since 1984. I can tell you that "money will cloud your judgement". I can also state from 1st hand experience, no matter how BIG or BAD you may think you are, there is someone out there bigger AND badder. This is why I firmly believe in locating the Skip and calling for LE to make the arrest. Less hassle and you still get paid.

TX PI LIC #A-09665
(409) 284-1895
http://360.yahoo.com/ftachaser357
"For every DEFENDANT that fails to appear in Court, there is a VICTIM seeking Justice"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 20:18 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2
Experience: 7 - 10 years
290 6'2 here...LONG LIVE THE BIG GUYS!!

-X-
St. Louis, MO
FRN#2
Member of The C.B.C

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 16 Nov 2006 11:24 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
I noticed alot of people refer to thier "duty belts" or as Scott Harrell puts it "Your Bat Belt loaded with your Bat toys"...I laughed my butt off when I heard him say that recently during a conversation with him.

My question is, what are some of you folks carrying and why ? We are not cops, Rambo, John Wayne, or any of the Super Heros. In line with what Scott McClean commented to me recently, is blending in as the every day guy. If you have planned your apprehension expertly and thoroughly, most of the time I take my fugitives into custody without incident. I do carry a pistol, a small can of pepper spray, cuffs, and a small flashlight. That's it.

I carry my pistol in a shoulder rig, my cuffs in the small of my back, pepper spray and flashlight in the pockets of my suit coat, blazer/sports coat, or outdoor coat. That's it.

The element of surprise coupled with the intimidation factor is usually more than sufficient to execute a well planned apprehension.

The more "Bat toys" you carry, the more risk (liability) you incur, the more expense you incur, weight, restriction of movement, as well as legal issues regarding certification for use and deployment of certain tools such as chemical sprays, batons, taser's etc.

I guess I'm an old dog not needing to learn new tricks. For the most part, I have been successful in my methodology, so I see no reason to change it for now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 16 Nov 2006 11:59 

Much like you, I do carry a pistol concealed. Either IWB or belt holster with shirttail out. Cuffs in the small of my back. Pepper spray in a pocket. I do have a tazer I keep in the car and will get it out and put it on if I think the situation may warrant it, but not often.

We do have to wear identification in MO. I do have a badge with my pic and license on the back of the holder on a chain. I keep in inside my shirt unless I have to get it out.

If you see me going to make an arrest, unless were hitting a house we know hes in and expect trouble, you wouldnt know I was up to anything. Normally wearing bluejeans and a tshirt with the tail hangin out. Nothing special at all.

I dont go for duty belts, body armor, helmets, ect.... Just dont see the need. Like you, most of the time I catch people so off guard that I got cuffs on them before they realize whats going on.

Forgot the flashlight. Number one tool. 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 16 Nov 2006 12:48 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Similarly, I also carry my wepon in a high ride, 'pancake' holster on my right hip with cuffs over my belt in the small of my back. Pepper spray and flashlight in pocket of suit coat or jacket. I generally make most apprehensions dressed in business casual (slacks, dress shirt, no tie with either a suit coat or a jacket to cover my weapon). If the area I go into is a more rough neighborhood, I wear jeans and a t-shirt pulled out witih a jacket. Here in CA, LE are now 'suggesting' that we wear something to identify us (due to two FRA's being shot by the police in Southern CA becasue all the LEO's saw were guys, dressed in black, holding a guy down with guns drawn). So I do wear a badge on a neck chain under my shirt, though I have never had to show anyone other than at the County Jails. I also recently started wearing a jacket that says Fugitive Recovery Agent on the back when I am making apprehensions at night. But the vast majority of the time I just talk with the fugitive and they go along without any problems.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion