Bounty hunter charged • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bounty hunter charged
 Post Posted: Tue 24 Oct 2006 21:00 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4626
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Bounty hunter charged
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
GUTTENBERG - Police have arrested a bounty hunter who handcuffed the wrong person - and then stole $500 from his wallet, reports said.

Juan Ocasio Jr., 22, of Phillipsburg, was arrested early and charged with theft, robbery, criminal restraint, impersonating a police officer, possession of handcuffs and weapons offenses, Lt. Joel Magenheimer said yesterday.
On Oct. 7, Ocasio notified police that he was going to arrest a fugitive at an apartment on the 6800 block of Madison Avenue, but when he got there he found his fugitive had moved away - and a different man and his 8-year-old son were living there, Magenheimer said.

The man, an undocumented immigrant, told Ocasio he didn't know the wanted man, but Ocasio entered and then searched the apartment anyway, Magenheimer said. He then handcuffed the father and stole $500 from his wallet, then told him he'd be deported if he called the police, Magenheimer said.

The man eventually told police, but was so frightened by the encounter and the possibility of being deported that he moved away, police said.

Ocasio was arrested in the early morning hours yesterday following a traffic stop, Magenheimer said. They took him to the police station, where the victim - who had subsequently been tracked down by police - identified him.

Ocasio is being held at Hudson County jail in Kearny on a $100,000 bail, Magenheimer said.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 24 Oct 2006 21:25 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
This article was previously posted by another member. It only proves that we all have to follow the letter of the law, and that there will always be idiots out there who are not acceptable as pros and give the rest a bad name.

Hopefully the press will print the difference with the same notariaty in which they posted the original story (unlikely), and the public will recognize the difference, also very unlikely.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Oct 2006 14:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Maybe if the victims in these cases will file suit against the "so called" bounty hunters AND the bail bond companies, the idiot bondsman and women will stop hiring these jerks!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Oct 2006 15:14 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

You got it. I meet with a local LEO and ask him his take on BEA's. He told me one thing....."Stay Legal." That means knowing your laws in your A.O., and KEEPING them up to date. Just my two cents. 8)

midwestbailenforcementagency@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Oct 2006 18:27 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

You know I will be taking a trip soon to some of the larger counties in nearby states, to introduce myself. Now why, you ask, would a Bail bondsman from another state use me for recovery?

Liability reduction. Even in states that BEAs are not required to be licensed, I can represent myself as a liability reduction factor. If you had a skip would you rather use someone with training, credentials and who represents himself professionally, or cousin Zeke and his shotgun?

Winner do what losers refuse to do...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Oct 2006 19:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1208
Post has been moved to "Discussions"

Last edited by Yak on Tue 31 Oct 2006 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 30 Oct 2006 20:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Anyone want to guess what so called agency they are referring to ?

I would bet it starts with a U !!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 08:07 

Its amazing how little LEOs know about bail bond law. Cases in point.

1. Monday I went to St Louis after two skips. Found one at work. I called the police to notify them we were going to pick her up, as per state law, I had to explain to three different people, including the supervisor, why I was calling when I didnt need help. They had no idea and said no bondsmen ever call in.

2. After that we went to Overland to pick up the second one. We thought we had him found and called the police to notify. They sent two cars. Said they had to be present. Asked if we were taking him or wanted them to arrest on warrants. The skip had changed locations while waiting on the police to arrive.

3. He had only gone about 5 blocks, but left Overland into St Ann. We called St Ann, as per law, and they sent two cars, including the supervisor. When they got there the supervisor said they would take him on warrants. I asked to save trouble if we could take him back to where we got him. He said yes, but if that was the case, they couldnt assist.

We arrested the guy and headed home with him.

Three different jurisdicitons that touch each other. Three different policies. Three different takes on the law. Not only do you have to know the law, you have to know each county/towns take on the law. I know you could probably fight in court and teach them all the law, but if you wanna catch your man and get back, its a balancing act sometimes.

MO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 21:35 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
We ran into the same thing in Shrewsbury, in St. Louis County---they said no one had ever reported in before. They delayed us for over 2 hours, calling their chief, and then the prosecuting attorney!!! And then they were going to take him themselves; but guess what---he was not there. They had had us wait on an adjoining parking lot and had handcuffed the wrong guy!!! He looked similar, but was not our guy---I pointed out the different eye color, even though he did resemble him and had the same first name. But we could have been there, done that, and gone on to other areas to look. GEEZ!!! Sometimes being law-abiding sucks!

Park Hills, Missouri
573-631-9086; FAX: 573-431-3997

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 21:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2
Experience: 7 - 10 years
HMMMMM.. funny, I always report to them!! I do get the weird look as to what the hell Im doing telling them this but I also always get the nice form I made signed by whoever I notified too so my rear end is protected. If anyone in MO needs a copy of this let me know, its very useful. We dont have to wait for them to arrive. All we need to do is notify the police department in that area. I never wait around for LE unless it has been ordered.

-X-
St. Louis, MO
FRN#2
Member of The C.B.C

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion