Badge questions • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 15 Sep 2006 18:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Rhino - Ya gotta scan and click quicker buddy. :wink:

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 02:34 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Have you ever heard the saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Now I am new to the whole BEA scene. But if I go into someones house dressed in normal clothing there either going to get physical or possible draw a weapon. Now if a vest a badge and a gun will prevent or reduce the possibility of getting shot then i guess i would much rather look like a LEO than be a corpse.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 04:41 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Go ahead and "tack out" in swat like gear, black BDU's etc. In some states you will be arrested on the spot for impersonating a LEO.

The point is to always practice our craft as safely as possible..no one isn't saying to not wear a vest or carry a weapon..I have no clue where you got that from. What we are saying is to dress professionally, present yourself professionally, and handle your case professionally.

Supposing you discover your skip is in a 5 star restaurant with some vip's. You're telling me that in that situation you would "strike" tactically, waving a gun around, dressed like a cop, and create a scene ?

Or, would you simply dress appropriately, ask the manager to send for your target, and then quietly, professionally, identify yourself while at the same time clasping the cuffs on them ?

The point here is that not every apprehension is a high-profile, high-threat scenario. Most seasoned pro's prefer the "every day guy" approach. Softly, quietly, unobtrusively blending into the local scene.

Your statement kind of concerns me because it indicates your desire to be "Flashy" and "Authoritarian" . While that makes for a great clown act on tv, in real life it can get you arrested, hurt or even killed. You dress out like that, step in some store for coffee and walk right in on a robbery in progress and Boom ! You're dead because you were percieved to be a cop. Costumes belong on the stage.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 06:50 

Sad no 3

Last edited by saginawmetro on Sun 22 Oct 2006 22:18, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 09:06 
in memoriam

While reading your post again, I picked up on something that I missed the first time. If you are that scared or concerned about getting shot, then perhaps this isn't the field for you. There are other possibilities to consider: Supposing your subject is unarmed, but during the take down he/she gets hold of your gun...now what ? Yes, this has asctually happened to me and the only reason I am still alive is it must be God's will because sure as I am writing this we were in a true Mexican Standoff. Now that's a different story.

other things you need to understand and accept:

1) Regardless of your staion in life, location, or occupation, death holds no prejudices. When it's your time, that's it. Nothing anyone of us can do about it.

2) We are already dead. The sooner you wrap your brain around that concept the better off you are. I am not being morbid, but it's a coping mechanism taught to cops and soldiers alike to assist them in overcoming combat fear. An overly paranoid troop or cop is of no use to anyone. Too prone to hysteria, overreaction, overkill, panic, etc. By the same token, anyone in any of these fields or related ones who claim they have no fear are either insane, liars, or fools. A little bit of controlled fear is normal, we all have it. What makes experienced combat troops different is that they know how to handle it and keep it in check. The cotton mouth, sweaty palms, rapid heart beats, our own personal little nervous twitches like flipping coins, clicking a ball point pen, whatever are all normal, reasonable biological or conditioned reflexes to stressful situations.

3) I'll be totally honest: I've been a soldier, a cop, bar bouncer, cowboy, etc. I've engaged in all of the "macho" careers a guy can do. When I was younger I wouldn't admit to anyone my fear. Now, being older and wiser, when I am faced with my fugitive, or a take down, or house entry, you're dammn right I'm scared. But it comes with the territory, so either you accept it and deal with it, or you choose a different career.

4) Another item I missed is the fact that you are probably relying on a gun way too much. What if your UNARMED target charges you and your weapon, bare handed ? Are you simply going to shoot him/her and then claim self-defense ? Hope you have the best criminal defense attorney on retainer that money can buy because you're going to need him/her. I and others have written extensive and very in depth regarding carrying and using a gun. Have you really considered what that symbolizes ? It's not only power, but it is also a respsonsibility. Again there are pre-existing articles regarding this issue and related ones such as ammo loads, shoot or don't shoot etc.

I don't know your background, but if I had to guess, you are prior military, possibly just returning from the war. If so, welcome home and thanks for the service to our country. But the rules of engagement for our career are totally civilian in nature and unprotected. You may possibly be in need of proper BEA training. in the BEA Faq thread, you will find a list of professional schools for your review.

Additionally I would further advise you to contact a self-defense instructor and ask for a few private lessons regarding weapon retention. I took a refresher course while in California and I wish I had done it years ago.

Post subject: fear
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 11:13 
in memoriam

Having been a street cop/detective for 16 years taken human life 6 times all shots face to face with in 50 feet and almost killed by a drunk driver at the scene of an accident while on duty I think i know alittle about fear--uncontroled fear is your worst enemy--it causes your brain to shut down and all body functions go on auto instead of thought--fear is acutally a good thing if you can control it- it causes the fight or flight reaction to kick in raising you adrenilin level increasing strenght, speed, stamina, etc--only thing is you need to control it by practise in presure situations ie gun grabs scuffles etc--

as far as tacking out my people do not do it period we dress in blue jeans or black pants with black polos in the summer or black or blue sweatshirts in the winter our shirts have our logo on them and fugitive recovery agent on the rear--we also have black windbreakers to put over our shirts if need to cover the logo and rear panel--as far as weapons go our shirts or jackets cover our handguns--i repeat they are not out for the world to see or grab at--i prefer to arrest by suprise than to actively go in a house after someone--if you get some one by quickly and quitely less liabilty is the result--in our last 300 arrest we had only 2 scuffles--we do wear badges around our neck but they only come out at the time of arrest --they tend to keep skips friends and relatives away--again different people and jurisdictions have different rules so abide by your jurisdictions regs and use what works for you--that is a winning combo--only know that you need many different approachs because of the many different situations we encounter

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 12:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
This subject will continuely come up as new BEA's get into the business. I will however add a bail agents perspective to it.

If you come in our office dressed like or with an attitude like the tv or movie characters, you will not find any work or recommendation from us. You will be lucky if we don't laugh in your face. I have had it up to my eyeballs with the calls from "bounty hunters" that haven't a clue about the reality of the business.

Our office has verrrryyyy few skips. I usually locate and if neccessary return them with the help of our local LEO's.

Appearance is important while posting bonds, I wear suit and tie. When in court I wear suit and tie. While in the office I wear suit and tie. When looking for a skip I leave the CV at home and drive the pickup and dress like the locals, except for the baggy pants ( too old and can't run in them). My contacts wouldn't be caught talking to someone that may be mistaken for a LEO.

When the local LEOs are planning a raid, they meet right in front of our office. They are driving Toyotas, minivans, pickups, etc. They are dressed like the locals. All IDs are covered. You can't see any weapons.You couldn't tell they are cops. Of course they have uniforms backing them up but they're out of sight. It works for them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 12:39 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Let me clear up a few misunderstandings. i didnt mean that you should charge in and bust down the door and be in full swat uniform for a guy with a dui charge. I was talking about like inner city problems dealing with gang members. sorry if i was misleading. But i agree if its low risk in a decently controlled environment like say a coffee shop or a 5 star restaurant then yes plain clothing would suffice. as long as the clothing had an FRA on it. Now i didnt mean to sound like i am the flashy type. I am just the type to protect myself and others and to come home to my family every night. But for the most part i agree with your statement.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 12:44 
in memoriam

Ok, wearing that FRA shirt can get you arrested in the state of Ga. Read the Ga statute for yourself online.

I don't understand the mentality and marriage to "ID" rags. Here you have had several people all basically telling you the same thing....not neccesary.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 13:55 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

I didnt say that you had to wear it all the time I just figured that a FRA shirt would be better than a badge Its a little more desccrete and draws less attention.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion